Laws I like, Laws I hate, Laws I'd like to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws I like, Laws I hate, Laws I'd like to have

Other thread discussions often bring up the question if having a law prohibiting a behavior is worthwhile, since some laws are hard to enforce, and it has even been suggested some laws are not enforced by choice of the police.

One of the purposes of laws is to protect the public. But that comes at the price of regulating the behavior of the masses, and taking away some “privileges” (for lack of a better word).

For example, the no-smoking law . Some people want to smoke in a bar, but that puts the staff at risk. [And it is going unenforced, so why bother with having the law.]

The possibility of banning fireworks (except for professional displays) comes to mind. Some people love the New Years festivities, but it puts people with lung disease at risk, and there is a fire risk to us all. [But it might be hard to enforce, so why bother.]

Many states require helmets for motorcycle riders. Some riders love the wind in their hair and are willing to take the chance of a head injury, but that puts the taxpayer at risk if there are large medical bills for the uninsured or permanent injury resulting in not being able to work. [This one is easily enforced.]

Do you have examples of laws that you like because they offer needed protections for the masses? Or laws you dislike because they infringe on your behavior? Or laws that might as well be taken off the books because they are not enforced or perceived as unenforceable?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Laws I like, Laws I hate, Laws I'd like to have

I can't believe we don't have motorcycle helmet laws, and I wish that motorcyclists were required to wear them. If, god forbid, I'm ever involved in an accident with a motorcycle, it's gonna take decades of therapy for me to recover after having to see someone's brain on the pavement.

I like the law requiring pedestrians to use crosswalks, and requiring vehicles to stop for pedestrians.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I prefer the term privileges, there are very few actual rights due us, sad to say...

I heard today that Hawaii is considering a helmet law for mopedders. Smart.

I am not happy that the smoking laws are being ignored by so many individuals and establishments, not just bars but say Iwilei K Mart who allow their patrons/loiterers and employees to sit right under the no smoking signs and smoke/break the law!
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 15, 2009, 12:59 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I hate the law about not being able to transfer my PERFECTLY LEGAL AND LEGIT prescription out here to HI because it's considered a "dangerous" drug. It's not a narcotic. I have a valid RX that my dr. wrote me before I moved. I have refills at a CVS in Dallas that they tried to transfer. My dr's office even tried to call it in and talk to the pharmacy in person. But they can't do it because of a law.

We don't have health insurance (which makes people think we're some kind of poor trash- yes, it does. Everytime I pick up my $400 RX at Long's, they treat me like $hit, even though I don't balk at the price and I pay for it), so going to a dr is really expensive. I went to a clinic to try to get my medicine and the dr gave me 5 pills because he thought I was drug seeking EVEN THOUGH I had a valid RX in my purse and a bottle with refills on it and I gave him my dr in Dallas's number. Again- not a narcotic!

I know it's in place for people who abuse drugs, but I don't. I need this medication and I've had to resort to inventive ways to get it. Don't make me have to break OTHER laws to get something that is legally mine in the first place. Gah!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Original post deleted - because I just realized you'll be (sadly) leaving Hawai`i in a couple weeks, so my suggestion would be useless.

Comment

SG - I'm curious as to why you don't have health insurance. It is mandatory here in Hawaii for an employer to provide insurance to anyone who works at least 20 hrs per week. That applies even if the employer is a mainland company.

One of the problems you might be having with your Rx is that your Doctor is not licensed to practice in Hawaii. Probably, any Rx written by an out of state Doctor is not valid here. Also, there is no CVS Pharmacy here at the moment so there is probably not a way to "transfer" your Rx.
            Sorry you're having problems getting your meds (and the outrageous cost!!!!) but it's not unusual or surprising. As for it being "legally yours" - that only applies in Dallas, not here.

Once again, you are probably going to get all p***ed off at me for this post. That's OK - I don't take it personal.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I like the law that relates to stopping in the middle of an intersection! I would not, under any circumstances, want to get caught in that situation blocking Cynsaligia!

Comment

I'd like to see a law banning texting while driving.

I'd like to see a law requiring people to wash their hands after using the restroom.

Comment

What is the law about stopping in an intersection?
                  What is the drug SG can't have?

We need "Solar Rights" law in Hawaii so HOA cannot block homeowners from installling solar panels, solar hot water, and wind gennies.

We need to remove all laws associated with the War on Drugs.

We need to add teeth to the dog biting law. pun intended.

We need more enforcement of the minimum speed law, and slow drivers in general.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Laws I like:

RICO

They need to enforce this more often.

Laws I'd like to have:

Something that specifically strips government and judicial figures of their immunity when using the government and/or their post as a criminal enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      I'd like to see a law banning texting while driving.

I'd like to see a law requiring people to wash their hands after using the restroom.
                      Yes! And to take it a step further, a law with some kind of cleanliness requirements in the bathroom!

My husband works for a tiny, boutique consulting firm. They don't offer benefits. They continually said they would, but have not. They company he is consulting for out here is not required to give him benefits because his is not an employee of theirs. He is "consulting" on their project, but is being paid by his company.

And if I can get my prescription transferred to almost any other state, I think I should be able to get it transferred to Hawaii. All of the "it's not from here" is great, but they're not the ones needing the medication and not being able to have it because of a stupid law. Amati asked what laws I hated, and this is a law I hate. Nothing's going to change my mind on this one, sorry!

My $400 RX is for Topamax, but they will transfer that one. See, that's what cracks me up. They have transferred 3 of my RX's here. Just not this particular one.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I would like a law prohibiting large vehicles from parking near enough to an intersection to block view for drivers. Or a law assigning financial and criminal liability for an accident caused by a large vehicle blocking view to the owner of the vehicle.

Comment

Laws I like, tax cuts, spending cuts, increased private property rights, laws that foster lean govenment.

Laws I hate. The smoking ban!!!! Also tax increases, white elephant light rail projects, and those that eliminate personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                            increased private property rights
                            Thanks for responding.
                            I'm interested in what that means, an example please.

Comment

It means that the government has no business telling adults that choose to be on private property what otherwise legal activities they wish to enjoy quietly on that proporty.

For example, banning pets on your own property, assuming that they don't cause unwanted problems for neighbors.

Banning alcohol among adults in a privately owned place.

Banning gambling among adults on their own private property.

Banning smoking against the owners will on adults only private property.

Restricting hours of operation of your own property.

Restricting sexual contact between CONSENTING ADULTS on private property and out of the public's view.

And so on.

Comment

Working...
                              X