Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: when isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
    I know you didn't mean to stereotype... but I'm Filipino and would like to politely say that some families have different opinions with regards to some things. There were NO pictures taken at my grandfather's funeral.

Back on topic though... If you feel like you have to sneak around to take the picture... don't take it.
    I was looking through some old family photo albums, and I saw a few pictures of a funeral - the whole shebang actually (from the procession to the viewing and burial). However, that was more than 20 years ago.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Is a breach in manners truly a breach if the subject of the photo doesn't even know the photo was taken?
      I think that depends on your answer to "If a tree falls down in the woods, but nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
        I think that depends on your answer to "If a tree falls down in the woods, but nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
        yes, it does.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
          yes, it does.
          Well, there you have it. And to think I wasted a quarter sleeping through my college Philosophy class when I could've just asked Doc!

Comment

Re: When isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

If I post to HT, but everyone has me on "ignore," did I still post?

Comment

I hope this isn't taking the thread too far off-topic, but surely there must be a "-phobia" describing the irrational fear of having your picture taken. What is it? I've been looking for this word for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                I know you didn't mean to stereotype... but I'm Filipino and would like to politely say that some families have different opinions with regards to some things. There were NO pictures taken at my grandfather's funeral.

Back on topic though... If you feel like you have to sneak around to take the picture... don't take it.
                Let me also add a disclaimer that I'm 1/2 Filipino and was raised in a very Filipino household. So when I say this, it's not meant to stereotype at all...it's just something I noticed because it only happens to me at Filipino parties.

I noticed that whenever I go to big Filipino parties (usually the ones in banquet halls, etc.) -- they always got their video guy videotaping people AS THEY EAT. I never understood why. Usually their hired photographer comes around with the celebrant and takes a picture with each table before and after the people eat...so why do videographer feel the need to roll tape when the people eat.

I don't know how many times I've had to ask these guys to stop rolling because it's rude. One guy kept taping just to piss him off.

So I spoke to him in the language I know best. I gave him the bird.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  I hope this isn't taking the thread too far off-topic, but surely there must be a "-phobia" describing the irrational fear of having your picture taken. What is it? I've been looking for this word for years.
                  Sounds so familiar....Man o mano...

If you've ever been apprehensive about getting your picture taken, you're not alone. According to a survey conducted by Fujifilm USA Inc., a majority of people, including 73% of women and 50 percent of men, are afflicted with "picture phobia." In fact, the survey indicated that people would rather do laundry (44%), pay bills (34%), and even visit the dentist (18%), than get their picture taken.
                  Scopophobia or Scoptophobia- Fear of being seen or stared at.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    Originally posted by zff View Post
                    Sounds so familiar....Man o mano...
                    Sounds familiar? Have you been looking for this word too? Any luck? I'll admit I haven't looked very hard, but I didn't think I'd have to. I'd expect it to be a reasonably common phobia.

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    Scopophobia or Scoptophobia- Fear of being seen or stared at.
                    Is that what's typically used to describe the fear of having your picture taken? If so, it's not a very good fit.

Comment

No it was just interesting. The phobia, I cannot find except just "picture phobia"
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

How about when a woman is giving birth?
                        I know some relatives that get a little too paparazzi during the push push sessions. I don't know...guess it's up the the woman.

Comment

Just watch what celebrities endure that is highly invasive and inethical, yet is still legal. Do they make money off of those articles and pics? Nope. Others do. Do they give their permission (sign a waiver....yeah right)? Nope. Others still get away with publishing them. Walking on the red carpet at a gala is one thing: they go there knowing full well that publicity is part of the event. But pics of them on their private family vacations or even trips to the store? Or in fragile/emotional/topless states? Truthfully, that stuff is none of anybody's business, yet it sells millions.

Laws are going to toughen when it isn't the curious few who must endure such invasions, but folks like you and I. Thank you, motorola and youtube.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            Let me also add a disclaimer that I'm 1/2 Filipino and was raised in a very Filipino household. So when I say this, it's not meant to stereotype at all...it's just something I noticed because it only happens to me at Filipino parties.

I noticed that whenever I go to big Filipino parties (usually the ones in banquet halls, etc.) -- they always got their video guy videotaping people AS THEY EAT. I never understood why. Usually their hired photographer comes around with the celebrant and takes a picture with each table before and after the people eat...so why do videographer feel the need to roll tape when the people eat.
                            Oh yeah, my family usually puts me on videographer duty when we have parties (as well as DJ and photographer).

What I really want to do is have a photo printer and photo editing software on the premises and have every family bring home a few pictures when the party is done.

Comment

Working...
                            X