Best Video Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Video Camera?

The fastest way to get into editing and publishing multimedia is on a Mac, but that's also the most expensive.
    As much as I hate Mac's auntie... he is correct above!
    And once you buy the computer...there is also the cost of the software that can run you big bucks

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Auntie, where you stay shopping?

If you like, I can tag along so you no get ripped off. Some salespeople do mean things to people who don't know.
      Adrian, when I ready again. I'll let you know. I going concentrate on my New Singles Pad the next few weeks. I bought New Furnitures today.heheheh

I just read your post PZ. Wow! So much information. Ok. I want to film and collect then put together. So I would definitely need what you suggest and therefore need a bigger computer that would handle editing and whatevers. Hala! I no tink my PuPule mind can handle all dat on my own. I going need assistance after all.

Shhhhh...I just want to make one video of My Chinatown!

Reality check. I can't afford one right now. I just bought New furnitures.heheheh I will be able to afford it in two - three months probably sooner. I'll check back with you when I'm ready.

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn

BTW: On the 3rd of September I'm buying a new cell phone. I'm in the buying mood. I'm making my own "Second Life".
      Last edited by 1stwahine; August 10, 2006, 06:58 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

off topic... but auntie... you single now?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          off topic... but auntie... you single now?
          No. I just like decorate my Hale like one Singles Pad. I never had one.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            I will be able to afford it in two - three months probably sooner. I'll check back with you when I'm ready.
            No problem with waiting, Aunty Lynn. More time to read up on video cameras, scour detailed online reviews, window shop at electronics stores, and think more about what you want to do with all that Chinatown footage! When you're ready to buy, you'll still have more help and advice here than you want.
            As much as I hate Mac's auntie... he is correct above! And once you buy the computer...there is also the cost of the software that can run you big bucks
            Hate Macs, huh? That's a reasonable stance.

Here's the thing about Macs, Auntie. They come with the software you need to create great multimedia, ready to go, out of the box, optimized to work well with the system. You could get a cheaper Windows PC, but there, yes, you'd have to invest in video editing software (and the good stuff ain't cheap), and possibly add in video capture hardware. My feeling is, in the end, the two platforms are very comparable on simple price... but when you add in how intuitive and powerful the integrated Mac experience is (even for an untechie tutu, right Tutusue?), Mac is the way to go.

But, whatever works for you is best. I'm sure Adrian could help you upgrade your current machine to something NASA would envy!

Comment

As much as I hate Mac's auntie... he is correct above!
              And once you buy the computer...there is also the cost of the software that can run you big bucks
              iMovie comes pre-installed on Macs. It's terrific for the entry level editor and even those of us who use it 'professionally'! I edit my casting tapes in the FREE iMovie! Auntie...it's a great piece of software and if I can use it...YOU can use it...Guarranz!!!!!! Kimo uses Final Cut Pro as he outgrew iMovie. FCP is another great piece of software but a bit pricey. It's an overkill for what you and I need.

Save up for that 3 CCD camcorder, a Mac laptop with iMovie pre-installed and you'll be on your way to becoming THE Chinatown documentarian!

Comment

pz... you making me dizzy and I deal with some of this stuff daily...

Let's just start off more basic so Auntie can post mpg's to her blogs for now!

A simple upload is all I think she needs for now... however, if she chooses to win the oscar next year then so be it!

Giving auntie advice on cameras is great... however... those that have met her... know she tries to lead a simple life... so lets give her some simple options and not to expensive!

No listen to manoa if you want... but you seen my camera and liked what it could do... If you do wanna get fancy...it will cost some dinero.

(P.S. It's not for sale!)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Save up for that 3 CCD camcorder, a Mac laptop with iMovie pre-installed and you'll be on your way to becoming THE Chinatown documentarian!
                  Sounds a winner! I shall save and also ask my children to pitch in. I going make Sad face to dem so dey pay um all!

Eh, I just read your comment Manoa!!!! Who says I live a simple Life???? I may live MWH but I don't live a simple Life!!! Don't presume what you see. I not what all I appear to be. Da nerve!

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; August 10, 2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Giving auntie advice on cameras is great... however... those that have met her... know she tries to lead a simple life... so lets give her some simple options and not to expensive!
                    The iMovie/iDVD combo on Apple OSX is about as simple as video editing can get. I'd recommend not giving advice related to a platform that you openly admit to hating, since it's therefore quite obviously something you know nothing about.

The fact that you're saying you deal with multimedia at your day job, in the DOE, and think like this is doubly disturbing.

I'd feel comfortable putting a Mac Mini and a Canon ZR500 camera in front of my mom (total outlay under $1000 for a great computer and a camera) and getting a nice edited video out of her in a weekend. Try that with the same camera, but with a Dell, Adobe Premiere, and probably an add-on firewire card. Could you get going for under a grand? Yes. Could a beginner have a decent video assembled anywhere near as quickly? I doubt it.

Yes, Aunty Lynn, you could find a $100 digital still camera with a "movie mode" and use your current system if you like. That'd get you about as far as Manoa's gotten. Plenty of videobloggers do quite well that way. But I get the feeling that your ambitions reach considerably further.

Comment

Let me rephrase "simple" to...

From as I know auntie...

she liked my camera.... it was a simple camera that functioned.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Yes, Aunty Lynn, you could find a $100 digital still camera with a "movie mode" and use your current system if you like. That'd get you about as far as Manoa's gotten. Plenty of videobloggers do quite well that way. But I get the feeling that your ambitions reach considerably further.
                        You're absolutey correct. I've got too much information to share. Mahalo for the advices.

Let me rephrase "simple" to...

From as I know auntie...

she liked my camera.... it was a simple camera that functioned.
                        Manoa, that was for a different purpose. Not for My Chinatown Project!

Nuff said. You giving me one headache.

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 10, 2006, 08:23 PM.

Comment

That'd get you about as far as Manoa's gotten.
                          one can only work with what tools is given to him.

and thus our kids fall behind as us employees do

Comment

Honestly.. I don't know shlt about cameras!

Take others advice... my bad.

I too simple for you auntie... I forgot how much you have learned about computers.

So when you gonna start teaching computer classes at the rec. center?

Comment

Mānoa, I like you. But I really have to put this all in perspective. Macs are faster and easier to use when it comes to video editing on a budget. Video editing software and iPods are the main reasons Apple didn’t go bankrupt. Final Cut Pro is the poor man’s Avid.

As far as a 3 CCD camera, the price has really come down recently. I spent more than $1700 just a couple years ago on a used Sony PD-150 on eBay. Now you can buy a brand spankin’ new Panasonic PV-GS500 for less than $500.

All I know is if you’re learning how to do something, you should learn to do it right. A champion of education like yourself should understand this, yet you say “the kids are falling behind the employees.”

On the contrary, Mānoa. The DOE could learn a thing or two from Wai‘anae High School’s Searider Productions. If you read MidWeek, then you know they’re just a stone’s throw away from taking all of our jobs (yours included). Guess what they use? (Rhymes with “shack.”)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Mānoa, I like you. But I really have to put this all in perspective. Macs are faster and easier to use when it comes to video editing on a budget. Video editing software and iPods are the main reasons Apple didn’t go bankrupt. Final Cut Pro is the poor man’s Avid.

As far as a 3 CCD camera, the price has really come down recently. I spent more than $1700 just a couple years ago on a used Sony PD-150 on eBay. Now you can buy a brand spankin’ new Panasonic PV-GS500 for less than $500.

All I know is if you’re learning how to do something, you should learn to do it right. A champion of education like yourself should understand this, yet you say “the kids are falling behind the employees.”

On the contrary, Mānoa. The DOE could learn a thing or two from Wai‘anae High School’s Searider Productions. If you read MidWeek, then you know they’re just a stone’s throw away from taking all of our jobs (yours included). Guess what they use? (Rhymes with “shack.”)
                                I talked to HT's own Liberty about this issue about a week ago. There is a lot of politics involved... I don't really know that much about it.
                                Tunnl you said
                                yet you say “the kids are falling behind the employees.”
                                Please re-read... I actually said
                                thus our kids fall behind AS US employees do
                                The DOE does have some nice equipment... however, we are not able to purchase the newest things as they come out.

With all of the cutbacks that the DOE has faced recently... The DOE is not capable of staying up to date with new equipment every year.

Waianae Searider Productions is receiving Federally Funded Grants as well as several other agencies... and they are also selling there product (very smart... wish we could do the same... however, the politics of the whole thing interferes with us being able to attempt to sell our "product" to the public at this time.)

Tunnl - you should know for yourself that the Waianae Searider's High School has been better than the UNIVERSITY of HAWAII's own SVFA for quite some time.... Why.... once again... politics. (and I must give credit to the hard work of the teacher that has brought Waianaes Video Class to the National Stage) Why would the DOE have nicer things than UH? Our mission is not to teach kids video production... I would like to say our mission is to teach a general education... Therefore the money get's spread out and not just all funneled into one department. It would be nice if it was that way...and we could have kids graduate with degrees in video production... but wasn't what that film school up at UH is suppose to do?

I hope Liberty comments on this... would love to hear her aspect.
                                Last edited by damontucker; August 11, 2006, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X