Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Photo fished out of my 2004 file archive. I went that year but at the time did not have the long lens as I do now. Static display shots came out OK, aerial shots were distant at best.
    Thanks Mel. Thanks. Now I feel even better with my inferior point-and-shoot. I hate you. lol

Cool shot! Now please pack up your DSLR and GET OUT THERE TODAY!

I've always wanted Lamborghini-style doors...

Superchargers are nice, too...

If I ever go camping, I'm inviting this guy!...

But that green and pink stool gotta' go. This is just amazing. Makes the days I spent in my younger years installing crossovers, amps and subwoofers in the trunk look silly. lol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Thanks Mel. Thanks. Now I feel even better with my inferior point-and-shoot. I hate you. lol
      You're doing a bang up job here with all of your shots. Love em all. Keep them coming.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

UH-60 Blackhawk...

Blackhawk Gunner...

See that spider-looking thing inside the cabin? That's a sonar buoy launcher used to hunt for enemy subs. NUTS! The operator (shown helping the boy) said it's easier to hear shrimps on the ocean floor than it is to hear subs.

The Blackhawk's cockpit...

It really is interesting talking with the pilots and crew of these amazing aircraft. There's so much more to the machine than what you see from the outside.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

You may have a big helicopter, but mines is bigger!...

CH-53 Sea Stallion

What struck me most about this chopper was how wrinkled and flimsy the aluminum skin was. You can kind of see it in the photo of the exterior in the photo above.

The inside of the Sea Stallion...

And this view also gives you a perspective of how big this chopper is...

If I'm ever stranded out at sea, this would be the equivalent to seeing God.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, Waipahu is in the house...

Louis Vuitton upholstery? This Scion's got some serious bling beyond bling! lol!

I'm not sure what the blue car is, but the one behind is obviously a 70's Pontiac Trans Am...

Don't know the make or model of this classic either, but the 3-way induction system in interesting...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This was one of the more unusual planes of the bunch...

Obviously a seaplane, with the prop up high, and a rudder behind the tail wheel for steering while in water.

This aircraft had the coolest "all-glass cockpit", with instrumentation that looked more "Apple Computer" than "Boeing"...

Did I say the C-5 Galaxy was big?...

So big, the front opening of the cargo bay was used as a stage for a concert today. Insanely-cool.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Your picture of the C-5 showing the front ramp down and the nose up does answer an age old question as to what happens to the cockpit when the nose goes up.

Was there a flying demostration of the C-17? One of the TV news showed it flying during the practice run.
                  Last edited by helen; October 14, 2007, 10:11 AM.

Comment

One word of advice, leave your leatherman (or other pocket knife) in the car. They do have metal detectors at the entrance, but it's far easier then TSA.

Took me an hour to get parked on base. Back log stared by the saddle road near Kalaheao High School on the H3 and creeped bumper to bumper from there. (I joined the line a little after 11AM) I ended up parking on the other side. Existing was a little faster, but they herded us out the back gate.

Now to figure out a good spot outside of the base to watch today's show. Too far away to see the show itself, but to catch some flybys.

There's also an area back behind the Galaxy where they have a UH-1 and some gear (rifles, helmets) the kids can pose with.

For those wanting the challenge of getting the sneak pass, there's only one: A double.

During the Echelon Roll, just as it's completing and your attention is on the formation, one solo come in from the left. Right on the deck. If you're not on the front row, you can't see him. All I saw (and I was looking for it) was the moisture coming off the wings as he screams down the runway just under he speed of sound. No sooner then you start to recover from that one, the other solo come from behind the line and shoots overhead.

Here's my notes that I took from on-line videos from the 2007 shows in other areas. They didn't quite follow it as the clouds moved in so they did the "flat show". Today may be better.

Some of the notes are inaccurate as in come cases they come in from in front or behind the line rather then left or right. (such is the limitation of looking at videos.)

The Parade is unique and a good photo op. That where they are in a line close together. After that the two solos go at each other and then the maneuver where the sneak takes place.

Enjoy! (Come on Mel, we want to see those photos! )

F=Formation
                    S=Solo
                    L->R = Left to Right

F R->L Diamond Pass in Review
                    S Opposing Knife Edge Pass
                    F R->L Diamond Roll
                    S Opposing Inverted to Inverted Rolls
                    F L->R Simultaneous Diamond Aileron Rolls
                    S R->L Fortus (one inverted)
                    F L->R Diamond Dirty (gear down) Loop
                    S L->R Minimum Radius Turn
                    F R->L Double Farvel (two inverted)
                    S L->R Crossover Break and Opposing Minimum Radius Turns
                    F R->L Echelon PARADE (Stacked)
                    S Opposing Horizontal Rolls
                    F L->R Left Echelon Roll and L SNEAK PASSES

5F R->L Line Abreast Loop
                    S Opposing Four Point Rolls
                    F L->R Vertical Break (Line -> Diamond -> flower)
                    S Opposing Pitch Up (Cross, Loop, Cross)
                    F Tuck Under Roll (Follow the leader roll)
                    2S R->L Section High Alpha Pass (SLOW)
                    F R->L Barrel Roll Break (Loop with break at bottom)
                    2S R->L Double Tuck Over Roll (formation)
                    F L-> Low Break Cross and Crossover (roll out)
                    6F R-> Delta Roll
                    6 L-> RFleur De Lis
                    6F R-> Delta Loop Break
                    Delta Pitch to Land
                    Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 14, 2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      One word of advice, leave your leatherman (or other pocket knife) in the car. They do have metal detectors at the entrance, but it's far easier then TSA.
                      Don't bring any drugs either. They have Sentry Dogs at the gate ready to sniff you out.

Fans wave as the Angels head out for Saturday's 3:30pm performance...

Maximum thrust in a stall pass...

Excuse me sir, I know you're busy with the an airshow, but your wife sent this UPS package of Beef Jerky from Las Vegas (see box on ground)...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Excuse me sir, I know you're busy with the an airshow, but your wife sent this UPS package of Beef Jerky from Las Vegas (see box on ground)...
                        OH! Those are flyers! They pass them out to the left of the grandstand after the show. (Right where you were. You didn't bag too early, did you?) Then the 8 pilots take up station there and sign them. Kids and teens seem to get priority attention. (Recruiting, don't cha know?) Just be patient and let them get to you. The crowd for #1 seem to be the largest.
                        Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 14, 2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait... stop the jet! OK, since when was BA #2 a 2-seater?! AAAAAAAnnnd..... why in the HELL is the back seat EMPTY! If nobody wanted to ride, I'LL GO!
                          Oh, is that was the pilot was talking about? Some of the kids was asking him about that. He said two of the planes broke down so they left them in LA.

They may have repainted the number. That might be the one that's normally #8.

The two seater of course is for giving media rides. Hmmmm. Who got to ride on this visit?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            For those wanting the challenge of getting the sneak pass, there's only one: A double.

During the Echelon Roll, just as it's completing and your attention is on the formation, one solo come in from the left. Right on the deck. If you're not on the front row, you can't see him. All I saw (and I was looking for it) was the moisture coming off the wings as he screams down the runway just under he speed of sound. No sooner then you start to recover from that one, the other solo come from behind the line and shoots overhead.
                            Hey, hey, hey! You're supposed to wrap that part in SPOILER TAGS!

OH! Those are flyers! They pass them out to the left of the grandstand after the show. (Right where you were. You didn't bag too early, did you?)
                            Nope. While I didn't wait at the flight line to meet the pilots, I DID stay for several hours walking around the tarmac taking all those pictures posted here. Did you get any photos? Buss' 'em out brah!

For sure I don't have enough "lens" (like Mel) to grab a really detailed shot of something like this, although I did get it!...

And this...

One thing I think is important when composing these shots is at least getting some sense of place; in this case being the Koolau range in the background. Otherwise if it's just the planes in the air, it could have been shot in Texas or California. You want the viewer to know this took place in Hawaii!

Announcing over the PA system: "Will GeckoGeek please come forward to the flight line. We have Number 2 seat waiting for you"...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hey, hey, hey! You're supposed to wrap that part in SPOILER TAGS!
                              Oops.

Did you get any photos? Buss' 'em out brah!
                              I have to figure out where to put them first - and then get to it.

One thing I think is important when composing these shots is at least getting some sense of place; in this case being the Koolau range in the background. Otherwise if it's just the planes in the air, it could have been shot in Texas or California. You want the viewer to know this took place in Hawaii!
                              Agreed. Which is why you DON'T want a long lens at times.

Announcing over the PA system: "Will GeckoGeek please come forward to the flight line. We have Number 2 seat waiting for you"...
                              <Mad disturbance in crowd>

PA: "Will the REAL GeckoGeek come forward?"

Yeah, I'd take the ride. Hell yes, I'd take the ride!!

Comment

I'm not sure what the blue car is
                                '53 Chevy, according to the AF's father. (Her folks are visiting us from Kane`ohe for a couple weeks - thus they are missing this weekend's show - and are overjoyed to see your great photos.)

Comment

Working...
                                X