X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Airlines' New Mileage Policy

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Was that Mahalo Airlines?
    Yes, that was one of them. But Mahalo used smaller than the largest props available today which are far better in ride comfort to challenge jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Is this the sort of info to which you refer? (The link is to the detailed financials of Hawaiian Airlines for the first quarter of 2011, for those who want to know before they click.) Easily found online, in fewer than two minutes.
      Thanks! I'll be looking over these numbers for awhile.

Maybe it was easy for some people to find. But I was unaware of this part of WSJ's website. Fascinating.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        I think I understand. HAL has made the business decision to modify their mileage plan in order to weather the rise in cost of fuel and operations. I don't understand why some here are complaining. It is a reality of business.
        Yes, rising fuel costs was a reality. But many airlines were better hedged against this expense compared to HAL.

Thanks to Leo's helpful guidance, the number that stands out on Hawn. Holdings' statement (comparing the 1st quarter of 2010 & '11) was the 55.5% spike in fuel costs. Talk about a major OUCH!!!!!

But how about the same statistic for the other carriers in the same time period?

Southwest Airlines - 26.4%

American Airlines - 24.8%

United Continental - 28.4%

Delta - 29%

Oh, but are just the Big Dawgs. How about smaller entities, like:

WestJet - 22.6%

Alaska Airlines - -16% (That's NO misprint. Alaska Air's fuel expenses dropped by $12.8 million, while still posting a net income for the quarter.)

Seems to me like the powers-that-be at HAL have done a very poor job in managing fuel expenses, absorbing increases that are about double what Southwest, American, United, and Delta have each paid for. And the response to their incompetence is,.. what? Stick it to the loyal base of Hawn. Miles customers?

There ya go, everyone. Decide for yourselves if this is the kind of treatment that HAL's frequent flyers deserve.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 30, 2011, 12:14 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'd rather see the airlines make a profit and thus be able to stay in business. I make my reservations by looking at the best price, convenient destination, and workable departure/arrival times. Accumulating mileage is last on my list of why I choose an airline. So for me, they could actually do away with mileage and it would not be all that upsetting.

Additionally, when my family takes a trip on an airline, we are not able to ever have enough accumulated mileage to get everyone on the flight "for free". So, pricing is more important.

As for travel for work, the above three criteria [best price, convenient destination, and workable departure/arrival times] are what get me to book a certain flight.

Mileage is a happy bonus, but the basic pricing, etc, is what counts in the long run.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...122824103.html

U.S. airlines burn an average of 22 gallons of fuel for every 1,000 miles each passenger flies. At $3.03 a gallon, airlines are currently spending $330 per passenger just on fuel for a 4,950-mile transcontinental round-trip. Some fliers might have paid less than that for their ticket while others could have spent more than $2,000.

A decade ago, fuel accounted for about 15 percent of airline operating expenses. Five years ago, it was 29 percent. Today, it’s 35 percent.

Salaries and benefits account for 28 percent. Ten years ago, it was the biggest expense at 39 percent. But several major airlines filed for bankruptcy and that allowed them to renegotiate labor contracts.

Aircraft maintenance, airport landing fees and travel agency commissions account for 18 percent.

Aircraft lease payments, food and drinks and in-flight entertainment account for 5 percent. And that’s even with most airlines no longer serving peanuts.

Another 14 percent goes to miscellaneous costs, such as updating reservation systems and marketing partnerships with other airlines.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            I'd rather see the airlines make a profit and thus be able to stay in business..........
            Thank you Amati for a very thoughtful and comprehensive reply. Your information is something we can sink our teeth into rather than asking someone else to do our research for us.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              There ya go, everyone. Decide for yourselves if this is the kind of treatment that HAL's frequent flyers deserve.
              No disputing your logic, "don't fly with HAL because they are poorly managed." But then watch HAL go out of business because of your logic and watch your fares on GO double in cost. Yes, that makes sense and is justice!

I've been thinking FM, that you are the perfect person to be CEO of HAL and YOU can make all the clairvoyant business decisions. I've been there and done that, and making all the "best" decisions at any one time is not all that easy or obvious. But then again,, I admit, you know better than I.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Thanks! I'll be looking over these numbers for awhile.
                Maybe it was easy for some people to find. But I was unaware of this part of WSJ's website. Fascinating.
                You are most welcome, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  I'd rather see the airlines make a profit and thus be able to stay in business. I make my reservations by looking at the best price, convenient destination, and workable departure/arrival times. Accumulating mileage is last on my list of why I choose an airline. So for me, they could actually do away with mileage and it would not be all that upsetting.

Additionally, when my family takes a trip on an airline, we are not able to ever have enough accumulated mileage to get everyone on the flight "for free". So, pricing is more important.

As for travel for work, the above three criteria [best price, convenient destination, and workable departure/arrival times] are what get me to book a certain flight.

Mileage is a happy bonus, but the basic pricing, etc, is what counts in the long run.
                  I mostly agree but I may put mileage above best price if the price differential is not that significant. So far, people have been discussing mileage in the context of free tickets but many mileage earners use them merely for their perks as elite members. For instance, a higher priced ticket may not be a bad move at all if the mileage is enough to bump me into a higher status that waives baggage fees. Some allow additional checked baggage free of charge and some allow access to lounges or priority ticketing/boarding. Money made back right there.

Comment

Working...
                  X