Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annoying phrases

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    I'm afraid this is a proper term. A legal attorney is not [necessarily] an attorney-at-law. A legal attorney is someone legally appointed to a position/purpose. For instance, an estate executor or someone with a power-of-attorney of any sort.
    Thank you for clarifying, although based on the context of its usage in my anecdote, I don't believe it was inferred in the proper manner, but was instead a desperate attempt to conjure up false authority. Much like claiming to have a GED in law.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
      Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form. If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.
      When in Rome...
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Which is it, yes or no?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        no yeah, or, yeah no

You hear this silliness even by on-air so-called professionals.
        If you read it as no yes, or, yes no then you dodono pidgin, otherwise you wouldn't consider it to be silliness.

Comment

But it's not just a local thing, it's everywhere, NY, wherever. I was afraid it might be minconstrued as pidginy, and was gonna edit it to yes's, but nobody say's it with a yes.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form. If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.

I had a fri
            end over there who was a firefighter in the military. He said he's constantly getting on to his guys about NOT talking pidgin over the radios, because he can't tell where htey're going or what they're doing. Here's an example:

Some firefighter over the radio- "Me and cuz're at da kine and we're gettin' it, yah?"

My friend G- "WHO is we, WHERE are you at, and WHAT are you getting?"

Some firefighter- "Me and Ron are at the fire and we're going in!"

G- "Then say that!"

Some firefighter- "I just did, cuz!"

And you think your job makes you want to scream!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              When in Rome...
              Rome tragically fell... hard.

Comment

Rome tragically fell... hard.
                Which brings up another annoying phrase..."when in rome"

Comment

Unfortunately, I absolutely hate "dakine" in any way, shape or form.
                  Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  That one you had best get accustomed to in Hawaii Nei. It's the island equivalent of "you know...."
                  Indeed. "Da kine" is a word whisker. And that is a concept that is far from unique to Hawaii.

If you can't articulate exactly what you want, you're not going to get it from me. I will substitute my "dakine" for whatever I feel it should be, and it won't be what you want.
                  Word whiskers aren't always uttered because a person is ignorant or limited in their vocabulary. Sometimes, it's just the polite thing to say in a conversation about a sensitive matter.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 9, 2009, 01:09 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Word whiskers aren't always uttered because a person is ignorant or limited in their vocabulary. Sometimes, it's just the polite thing to say in a conversation about a sensitive matter.
                    I've never actually thought about it from that perspective before, FM. Thank you for giving me that new insight. I can now see where it makes sense it certain contexts. But others, as the convo I mentioned above, still drive me crazy. It's too confusing...and I'm already confused enough as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Indeed. "Da kine" is a word whisker. And that is a concept that is far from unique to Hawaii.

Far out! (an obvious word whisker)
                      I learned another new thing today. Thanks, FM.

According to the 'Urban dictionary:"

"An irrelevant, meaningless word or noise that is interjected into speech when the speaker has run out of words, but is determined to keep on speaking.

-or-

The outward symptom of a serious psychologically induced speech impediment."

"Well, um... I er, ah, well you know, like it's like this you see, I really don't have anything to say. But it makes me feel really important to hear myself talking."

You know, dakine!

K
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

IT's all in the dialog

Comment

Lake Superior State University published their 35th annual list of words and phrases they think should be banned:

Shovel-ready
                          Stimulus
                          "Obama-ing" a word, as in "Obamanomics"
                          Sexting
                          Tweeting
                          Friending or unfriending
                          Bromance
                          Chillaxing
                          Teachable moment
                          Toxic assets
                          In these economic times
                          Transparent/Transparency
                          Too big to fail
                          App
                          Czar, as in drug czar

I haven't heard of some of these. In fact, the only two I agree with are tweeting and sexting. The rest of them just don't strike me as particularly annoying or I don't hear them enough to bother me. Or I just haven't heard them used at all...like shovel-ready. So this gets a thumbs-down. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

When something has gone wrong, to try and look at the positive by saying "making lemonade out of lemons". Well guess what, I've had some pretty baaaaaddd lemonade - it can be quite sour and tart!
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              When something has gone wrong, to try and look at the positive by saying "making lemonade out of lemons". Well guess what, I've had some pretty baaaaaddd lemonade - it can be quite sour and tart!
                              Well make better lemonade out of bad lemonade

Comment

I thought when life gives ya lemons, ya just smash the hell out of 'em?
                                flickr

An email from God:
                                To: People of Earth
                                Date: 9/04/2007
                                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                                God

Comment

Working...
                                X