Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th, 2018, 01:33 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default The Equalizer 2 (2018)

The Equalizer 2 (2018)
Denzel Washington, Pedro Pascal, Bill Pullman, Melissa Leo. Written by Richard Wenk. Directed by Antoine Fuqua.

I never saw 2014ís The Equalizer, so The Equalizer 2 is completely fresh snow for me, and itís not bad if you donít mind your snow a little on the vindictive side.

Robert McCall is a Lyft driver in Massachusetts, where he reads a lot of books and looks after an old man in a retirement home while lecturing some of the local kids on the value of hard work or something kind of Furious-Styles-sounding. Heís something of a neighborhood vigilante, a very violent, fearless vigilante who takes on groups of young men for assaulting the young women in the neighborhood.

Someone close to McCall is murdered, and there (apparently) arenít very many people close to McCall, so he goes after the people responsible, only he doesnít know who these people are. At first.

Everything I feel I needed to know about McCall is covered by the fact that heís reading Ta-Nehisi Coatesís Between the World and Me right before he destroys a train car full of very bad men. So I kind of like him even if it seems heís got his fingers in far too many pies. Denzel in badass mode is great if he isnít allowed to ham it up.

About those pies: the story tries to do twenty things and I would normally be annoyed or distracted or dissatisfied, but I was really just along for the ride. Yeah, the story is too busy and too involved, but okay.

Alas, the film is directed by Antoine Fuqua, and I havenít seen all of his movies with Denzel, but Iíve seen Training Day, a film I disliked because Denzel hams it up like an Easter brunch. Thankfully, there are only a couple of offending scenes like this here, but there was a moment where I was half-certain McCall was about to proclaim at the top of his lungs that King Kong ainít got s*** on him. I tolerated these couple of scenes because I like the rest of this film just fine.

You know what? Iím adding the first film to my Netflix DVD queue. And Iíd pay to see another of these. Please, though, can we get a different director?

5/10 (IMDb rating)
50/100 (Criticker rating)