Honolulu Crime Map Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Crime Map Online

HPD unveiled an online map where you can see five crime types on a map and register for email alerts for crimes reported in your neighborhood. Mapped crimes go back 90 days.

The reports I've seen describe it as a feature of the HPD website, but it's nothing but a link to a third-party business called CrimeMapping.com. HPD is apparently giving CrimeMapping.com a data feed from its own database to populate the online map and provide the notification service:

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/hi/honolulu

Per KHON, HPD is happy that they're paying $100 a month for the service, and the contract is for a year. Personally, I can think of half a dozen local companies that'd love to provide the same service for free, just to have access to the data.

In fact, I think a case can be made that the data being sent out to CrimeMapping.com is technically public data, and should be made available to anyone. I bet my geek friends would love to mashup this stuff with other data sets and mapping tools to do some useful and creative things.

Re: Honolulu Crime Map Online

Thank you for this valuable link!

I checked it out and it helps me know more about my neighborhood.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Very cool link, thank you!
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I set up email alerts for a moderate-sized radius around my home, and a narrow radius around my workplace (it's a relatively busy hotspot for nefarious activities), and have been getting crime reports for each alert almost daily. Knowledge is power, I suppose, but it's also a little disconcerting.

It's also probably just my imagination, but I feel like I can see the work of a single criminal over a few days, as "unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle" reports move in a fairly linear direction down certain streets.

You'd think a bad guy would know to mix things up and not get into a pattern... but bad guys are often not particularly bright.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          It's also probably just my imagination, but I feel like I can see the work of a single criminal over a few days, as "unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle" reports move in a fairly linear direction down certain streets.

You'd think a bad guy would know to mix things up and not get into a pattern... but bad guys are often not particularly bright.
          Repeated property crimes happening in the same neighborhood and even the exact same location.... they happen for a reason. Studies show it's not because of mere stupidity on the perpetrator's part.

For many crime types, it may be rational for a perpetrator to repeatedly offend against the same crime object. Choosing the same object again may involve less effort and less risk than choosing new or less well-known crime objects. The knowledge that offenders possess about the objects of previous crimes may be useful in relation to the commission of new offences. Such knowledge may relate to routes of escape in relation to residential break-ins, for example, or to alarm systems or neighbours.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X