Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Default Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Wal-Mart store #3478, built at great cost and with much controversy, opens its doors on Oct. 13. Shoppers and critics will finally have the opportunity to see firsthand what the monster retailer will offer, and what effect it will have on the neighborhood surrounding the "Keeaumoku Superblock."

This thread, started to coincide with the store's opening, is a continuation of an older Wal-Mart thread. Have you ventured inside? How well is traffic being managed? Any clear effects on neighboring businesses?

Please discuss this particular location here. If you'd like to engage in debate over Wal-Mart's corporate policies and practices overall, take it to the Wal-Mart War Room.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Here's the official news story on the store's opening in the Pacific Business News:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...1/daily25.html

The sad thing is that the iwi are still not reburied because the 2 kanaka maoli groups can't agree on what needs to be done with them! They're still in cardboard boxes awaiting an uncertain fate...

Here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html

Miulang
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Ali`i

Interesting story about the ILO brand of electronics that WM at Keeaumoku will be selling. How much business will the other electronics retailers in the area lose to WM?

Here: http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&;siteid=mktw

Miulang
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Thumbs up Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

WalMart Has Finally Opened.

Hundreds lined up to be the first. I was not one of them.

The naysayers are free to stay home and continue with their rants on this board.

Everyone else who likes WalMart will shop.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel

The naysayers are free to stay home and continue with their rants on this board.

Hey Mel, I figured you'd at least be the second or third in line for that opening buzzer at 9 a.m. this morning! So, is everything cool and copacetic in there? Did you happen to see a cardboard box full of bones on any of the shelves? Didya notice the last few things I put in this thread were not rantings?

Miulang
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel

Isn't this post a bit O/T ? Didn't you read the first post above ?

"Please discuss this particular location here. If you'd like to engage in debate over Wal-Mart's corporate policies and practices overall, take it to the Wal-Mart War Room."
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the breaking news Advertiser article on the opening, Mel (the traffic flow map is pretty helpful), but there's no need to bait the "naysayers." (Try here instead.) When you do make it down there, please share your impressions of the location.
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

I just heard that the Sams Club is laying off 90 people at their
new store in Honolulu. The reason was the sales were not
what they expected ?

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Keeaumoku Sam's Club to cut 90 jobs

Just three weeks after opening on the floor above the new Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku St., the affiliated Sam's Club has notified some 90 employees that their jobs will end in a matter of days.

"The Honolulu Sam's Club has made a business decision to conduct a workforce adjustment due to business results being different than anticipated," spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart said in a statement e-mailed to Hawaii news media Thursday evening. "As a result, we evaluated the departments and made the decision to scale back staff in certain areas."

She said 90 employees -- Wal-Mart and Sam's Club call them "associates" -- have been told that their positions will be abolished in one week, effective Thursday, Nov. 18.

The company described this action as jobs being "phased out."

Last edited by Aaron S; November 11th, 2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

While I feel for those people who just a few weeks ago started a new job in a new store and with a new future are out of work right now, I hope Walmart/Sam's Club gets the picture that we dont need anymore of these stores on Oahu. We have enough already.

I'd like to see a TARGET built over here but I have had the impression that the Walmart stores over here have discouraged them from expanding here.

Kalihiboy
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Ali`i

Angry Auwe! No Excuse On How Remains Were Treated!

Auwe! The remains found on the site of Wal Mart on Keeamoku put into an air-conditioned container till burial time? Found to be desecrated, heavily glued and marked with some form of marsh pen? I ain't gonna go shop there no more...no wonder my ...... broke on the first fitting!

SPOOKY!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Ali`i

Stopped by the Keeamoku Wal-Mart on Tuesday evening and there is a sign that now says that they are open 24 hours a day.
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Auwe! No Excuse On How Remains Were Treated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine
Auwe! The remains found on the site of Wal Mart on Keeamoku put into an air-conditioned container till burial time? Found to be desecrated, heavily glued and marked with some form of marsh pen? I ain't gonna go shop there no more...no wonder my ...... broke on the first fitting!

SPOOKY!
Now the State says they have to conduct an "investigation" on the desecration (mostly they're upset because whoever did the desecrating didn't ask their permission first), which means the 'iwi will not be reburied in the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't shop at that WM either.

Miulang
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Ali`i

I'm sticking this article in the local WM thread because even though it's a national website (www.WalMartSux.com), the webmaster happens to be an ex-WM employee from Waipahu. Louie Maytorena brings up an interesting point: if Sam Walton was still alive, would he be against unions? Walton always talked about encouraging respect for his employees...tried to treat them like family, even.

Miulang
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
if Sam Walton was still alive, would he be against unions? Walton always talked about encouraging respect for his employees...tried to treat them like family, even.

Miulang
If Sam were alive, it would be a wholly different, much less voracious entity. Reminds me of the Disney debacle. Totally different animal than when Walt was alive and at the helm.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Ali`i

Default Auwe!

The Circuit Court of Honolulu handed down a decision yesterday regarding the disposition of a lawsuit that was filed on behalf of some of the descendants of the kanaka maoli whose bones are thought to have been buried at the WM Keeaumoku site. The judge decided that WM was not responsible for any emotional damage to the families whose bones were disturbed because the bones are in the custody of the State and not WM.

In the meantime, the 'iwi kupuna are still housed in a cardboard box in a secure trailer somewhere in the parking lot on Keeaumoku. It wouldn't surprise me if some "interesting" things are happening in the store that no one is reporting on.

Miulang