Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 13th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Tsunami Watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
[...]Scary though. Sure hope those DART buoy readings are correct!
Me too! I plan to stay up to watch the anticipated ocean activity and will keep my street clothes on and my purse and computer by the door. Ha! As if I'd have time at that point to flee the scene! Shoot...I wish it was a full moon night. The ocean's only 25 feet away and it's so dark I really can't see it.
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Ali`i

Well, while we're all waiting for the final word on tonight's tsunami, take a look at this National Geographic Channel simulation of what a mega-tsunami from the Big Island would do to Honolulu. Now, that's scary stuff! Fortunately, it probably won't happen during our lifetimes. It might not even happen during the lifetime of our civilization.
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
Well, while we're all waiting for the final word on tonight's tsunami, take a look at this National Geographic Channel simulation of what a mega-tsunami from the Big Island would do to Honolulu.[...]
Yikes. For sure Auntie's MWH would be in the inundation zone! It appears all of Oahu would be wiped out.

Hey, PZ...take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Yikes. For sure Auntie's MWH would be in the inundation zone! It appears all of Oahu would be wiped out.

Hey, PZ...take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?
Tutusue, I figured out dat too...but neva say anting cause i neva like make myself scared. It's almost time. I can go moemoe. Are you able to see any action out there? It makes me woder what would happen to the the many Homeless Beach people and their families? Sad ~ totally heartbreaking.

Is our Tsunami Warning/Watch Siren in Excecellent condition unlike the shape it was in several months ago? Tonight was a good time as ever to Test and fix whatever glitches it had in it.

k-en. Nuff babling.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lyjnnie

btw: Again, wat would the Homeless Popilation do if a damaging one strike our islands? I want to know if a plan is in place. Is it's public record which is allowed to be seen by the Public? Where does one go to in an event of a catastrophe occurring in hopes to help our fellow men and women in our community?
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Last edited by 1stwahine; January 13th, 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Ali`i

http://starbulletin.com/2007/01/13/news/story02.html

Tsunami watch surges Hawaii fears

An earthquake off Japan leaves the state on alert for three hours before word that no destructive wave is expected

Star-Bulletin staff

"Hawaii was under a tsunami watch for three hours last night after an estimated 8.2-magnitude earthquake struck east of the Kuril Islands off Japan.

City officials were concerned about homeless people living on Leeward Coast beaches and were making shelters at Nanakuli and Waianae Intermediate schools available if needed.

Tsunami waves -- generated by earthquakes -- are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore."

Once again, Mahalo fellow HT Members, Mel, Glen M., PZ, Pomai, Mike, Helen, tutusue and LikaNui for the information you contributed.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Ali`i

well, there was some wave activity last night. We bugged out our office, being that it is approx 100 yards from shoreline. Some coral and rocks got tossed about 50ft past normal water level, but no damage, thankfully. Count the moon on quarter as a blessing, because the surges hit at high tide, which was 12:45am last night. If it was a new/full moon, the tide would have been worse.

pax
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
[...]It makes me woder what would happen to the the many Homeless Beach people and their families? Sad ~ totally heartbreaking.

Is our Tsunami Warning/Watch Siren in Excecellent condition unlike the shape it was in several months ago? Tonight was a good time as ever to Test and fix whatever glitches it had in it.[...]
With all due respect, Auntie, last night woulda been the worst time to "test and fix" any glitches. With the watch in effect, the breaking news stories and the constant warning crawl along the bottom of the TV screen, testing the sirens woulda caused panic. The last test was on Jan. 1 or 2...can't remember. Hopefully, if they found problems with any of the sirens at that time they woulda fixed 'em by now.

I, too, was concerned about the homeless along our coast. Security in my building took the watch seriously enough to go door to door alerting residents. My hope was that the police were going tent to tent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
well, there was some wave activity last night. We bugged out our office, being that it is approx 100 yards from shoreline. Some coral and rocks got tossed about 50ft past normal water level, but no damage, thankfully. Count the moon on quarter as a blessing, because the surges hit at high tide, which was 12:45am last night. If it was a new/full moon, the tide would have been worse.
The small bay in front of my condo was churning but I couldn't tell what was large swell activity and what was tsunami surge activity. It was just too dark. And, yes, a high tide at the same time which, had there been a large tsunami, would've exacerbated the event.

We lucked out!
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Ali`i

Last night at midnight I stepped out for a stroll down Kalakaua Ave. (Waikiki) to assess the situation. It was a GHOST TOWN. Typically on Friday night at this time, when a 1 block span would have more than 100 people on the sidewalks, was down to less than 10 people or less in the same given area. Even the street performers weren't around, except 1 that I seen. Hardly any cars were on the blvd. and Police patrol car presence was light, which was a bit surprising.

Duke's in the Outrigger on the beach, which is supposed to be open until 1am (and busy all the way until then), was closed.

Waikiki hotels must have warned their guests to stay in their rooms, and even though the watch was lifted by 9:30pm, perhaps our visitors remained cautious and stayed indoors.

Kuhio Ave. had more people out and about, but definately less than a "normal" Friday night. As I walked home, thoughts of "what if it still comes" haunted my mind, having visions of a flood of sea water rushing down Seaside Ave.

If a revised Tsunami alert guideline takes effect, which lowers the quake scale to 6.7, plan on seeing more scares like this here. Still, better warned (scared) and safe, than uninformed and dead like those lost in Indonesia. Sure was a wake-up call.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Ali`i

So I hear the media hyped it up wrong indicating it was a warning (albeit local only to Japan) instead of a watch.

With businesses suffering because of erroneous reporting, were businesses damaged financially enough to sue the media that reported it or at least the source of the report?

Hmmmm....
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ali`i

NGC (the National Geographic Chennel) is airing a tsunami program tonight at 7pm. Not sure if it's the one about the Indonesian tsunami, but. Channel 73 (analog cable) or channel 347 (digital cable).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
So I hear the media hyped it up wrong indicating it was a warning (albeit local only to Japan) instead of a watch.
With businesses suffering because of erroneous reporting, were businesses damaged financially enough to sue the media that reported it or at least the source of the report?
Certainly can't sue the media, since the mistake was made by the National Weather Service. The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Certainly can't sue the media, since the mistake was made by the National Weather Service. The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".
That's why in the Civil Defense bunker in Honolulu Hale, the Civil Defense Siren's Red Button that activates all sirens island wide is safely under a plastic spring loaded cover.

Maybe with today's Windows screens, before hitting the "Warning" instead of "Watch" button, a screen will pop up that says: Are you sure you want to piss off an entire state at this ungodly hour?
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?
So that's what Gerard looks like! I've read his posts online for years. From his accent I'm guessing he's English, is that right? I never knew that.
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Ali`i

Gerard is usually one of the first 'experts' the media calls upon when there is an extreme ocean condition or the threat of one. I've seen him on newscasts a few times but not since the Indonesia tsunami in Dec. 2004. He was a wealth of fascinating info in SCH at that time. So interesting to hear from someone in the trenches.

I have an Aussie assistant and you'd think, at this point, I could tell an Aussie accent from a British accent...but...I can't! I can't smell or taste, either!
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I have an Aussie assistant and you'd think, at this point, I could tell an Aussie accent from a British accent...but...I can't! I can't smell or taste, either!
I didn't realize Aussies smelled and tasted different from Brits.
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Too much information!!!
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".
Watch? Warning? I'm always getting those two mixed up.

I really wish they could find another pair of words to help everyone keep it straight.
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
That's why in the Civil Defense bunker in Honolulu Hale, the Civil Defense Siren's Red Button that activates all sirens island wide is safely under a plastic spring loaded cover.
Unlocked. I know the whole panel is under a cover. I don't remember what "the button" is like.
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
I didn't realize Aussies smelled and tasted different from Brits.
yeah they're the ones the Brits threw out when they spoiled But hey look at what happens with cheese?
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Unlocked. I know the whole panel is under a cover. I don't remember what "the button" is like.
Retired Oahu Civil Defense Manager Paul Takamiya told me once I could "press the button" and invited me down for a look in the bunker.

The button looked like a nuclear consent switch on a nuclear bomber (yeah I worked on them back in the USAF).
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Watch? Warning? I'm always getting those two mixed up.
The following more or less applies to hurricanes and tsunamis.

Watch seems to mean that whatever is coming might cause some problems and the various organizations get moblized and get ready for anything for just in case. Time for the public to stock on the supplies, if they haven't already.

Warning seems to mean that whatever is coming is going to cause problems and it's time for everyone to seek higher ground.
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Ali`i

Errr... not really. Generally:

A watch means that conditions are right for the development of [the dangerous weather condition], and it could happen at any time.

A warning means that [the dangerous weather condition] is actually happening right now.

Here's a pretty good article on the subject.

For tsunami, here are the definitions used by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center:

Quote:
Tsunami Warning
The highest level of tsunami alert. Warnings are issued by the TWCs due to the imminent threat of a tsunami from a large undersea earthquake or following confirmation that a potentially destructive tsunami is underway. They may initially be based only on seismic information as a means of providing the earliest possible alert. Warnings advise that appropriate actions be taken in response to the tsunami threat. Such actions could include the evacuation of low-lying coastal areas and the movement of boats and ships out of harbors to deep water. Warnings are updated at least hourly or as conditions warrant to continue, expand, restrict, or end the Warning.

Tsunami Watch
The second highest level of tsunami alert. Watches are issued by the TWCs based on seismic information without confirmation that a destructive tsunami is underway. It is issued as a means of providing an advance alert to areas that could be impacted by destructive tsunami waves. Watches are updated at least hourly to continue them, expand their coverage, upgrade them to a Warning, or end the alert. A Watch for a particular area may be included in the text of the message that disseminates a Warning for another area.

Tsunami Advisory
The third highest level of tsunami alert. Advisories are issued by the TWCs to coastal populations within areas not currently in either warning or watch status when a tsunami warning has been issued for another region of the same ocean. An Advisory indicates that an area is either outside the current warning and watch regions or that the tsunami poses no danger to that area. The TWC(s) issuing the Advisory will continue to monitor the event, issuing updates at least hourly. As conditions warrant, the Advisory will either be continued, upgraded to a watch or warning, or ended.
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

Actually *I* do know the difference, but I always have to stop and think about it. Watch/Warning depends on the event. In the case of a Tsunami, it's based in part on how much time is available. For a Tsunami, I think it's 3 hours. That is, if they think it might be damaging and it's less then 3 hours, it goes to Warning. But I think if they *know* it will be damaging, then it's a Warning regardless.

Hurricanes, because of their unpredictability, use time as the criteria. Watch is 3 days out. Warning is something like 24 hours (I think).

In short, it's hard to have a set thing that defines watch/warning in all situations. It's colored by the response plan. Probably the best way is Watch: be prepared/be alert. Warning: ACT!

Still, I think to the public, they get confused by the difference. I'd like to see a change that would better communicate the status. For example, "yellow" and "red" are much clearer in meaning. (But it would sound kinda strange if a "Hurricane Yellow" were issued.) But at least they can color code the buttons.
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ali`i

I have a very simple minded way of keeping Watch and Warning straight! The word Warning has more letters. More letters=more worries! I subscribe to the KISS way of life!