Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Washington State!

Aloha Everyone,

I found this website a while back and am just getting around to introducing myself. I grew up here near Tacoma but had the opportunity to attend the University of Hawaii back in the mid-70s, graduating in 1977. I returned to Washington after that and been here ever since. I finally made it back to Hawaii last February for a vacation, five days in Waikiki and five in Kona. It was my wife's first visit and she really enjoyed it, especially because she hates cold weather (and she's from Idaho). We've been entertaining the idea of moving to Hawaii when I retire but that's probably about 10 years off and a lot can change in the meantime. Meanwhile I'll keep dreaming....

Rich
    Last edited by Peloton; January 21, 2010, 07:21 PM.
    Rich

Re: Aloha from Washington State!

Welcome, Rich. Jump right in. We're a wonderfully dysfunctional group of know-it-alls!

Comment

Interestingly enough, I recently moved to Seattle from Hawaii.

Born and raised on Maui, I finally had enough of outrageous prices, and the heat (although this winter in Seattle has so far been oddly warm (aside from last month's cold snap)). After years of contemplation, I simply could not fathom spending the rest of my life spending way too much for far too little.

Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt. Many find the "price of paradise" a small fee to pay for what they can enjoy there. And that's great. But for me, there was little, if anything, that made staying there worth it. I don't like the sun or humidity. I don't hike or go to the beach. But here I can buy a half-gallon of milk at QFC for $1.80, rent is cheap - and most buildings welcome pets, utilities are outrageously cheap, art is everywhere, radio is awesome (KEXP, KPLU, etc.), any and all concerts happen here (or near here), the opera season has five shows (including Wagner), the symphony is off the hook and appreciated, there are too many restaurants and bars to ever visit in a lifetime, the list goes on...

... and it's often more cloudy than sunny. My kind of weather.

Comment

Welcome to HT, Peloton! It's always nice to have new voices join in. If moving is your retirement dream, I sincerely hope it happens for you. I would so love to move back, but realistically doubt that will happen. However, they do have a Texas lottery and my husband will buy a ticket if the pot gets big enough, so...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I've always liked sunny weather. I think have a mild case of SAD because I feel more energetic in the summertime with the warmth and more sunshine. I can tolerate the cloudy rainy winter weather since I grew up here, but I like being outdoors more without dealing with cold rain. My active hobbies are cycling, tennis, and running.

Whether I return there will probably come down to whether I can afford it. I know it's expensive to live there. Right now I like the Big Island the most. Anyone know is it cheaper to live there? Real estate and groceries?
          Rich

Comment

My case of SAD occurs in Fall, Winter & Spring here in Seattle. Last summer was nearly perfect for me, with nice toasty temperatures. And this winter has been nice with unseasonably warm temperatures, however, last year, my apartment in Redmond had over 16" of snow just before Christmas & in years prior we have had over 3 months straight of constant, mind numbing rain. Cold cold rain. I just wanted to shoot myself (just kidding)-I think work was busy that winter.

Prices may be cheaper here in Seattle, but I have found, that as a single guy, I can live, for about the same price, just about anywhere I would want to live. For example, I eat about the same things week after week, and comparing prices in Hilo (Hi-Lo Grocery) to what I pay locally, is within a few $ +/-, some weeks its more & some less.

I have read this blog several times, its a great one for anyone considering a move to the Big Island (and Hawaii too): http://www.hiloliving.com/index.html

I would suggest being a renter for at least 6 months until you decide you can handle living on a little island far far away.

I am thinking of making a move in the fall.
            Expect me when you see me.....

Comment

Whew, don't you know it, I've been claiming for years that I have a mild case of SAD but so long as you don't tell anyone else, I'll admit that it is actually really really bad.

I guess there's always light boxes and Zoloft.

Comment

My sweetie, the Alpha Female from Kane`ohe, has had great success controlling her S.A.D. using (a) a full-spectrum light box at the dining table on winter mornings, and (b) a fade-in light alarm to wake her in the mornings. I'm not surprised to hear that S.A.D. afflicts folks who grew up in Hawai`i.

Comment

So I made a mistake on my food comment....for awhile now I have been comparing prices on food to a grocery in Illonois not Hilo. Sorry for the bad advice. However, I have found that my typical basket of food items does cost about the same as here in Seattle as it does in Vienna, Geneva and in Edinburgh (at least in 2007).
                  Expect me when you see me.....

Comment

Working...
                  X