Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Heahea > Front Desk
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ali`i

Default Log-in issues

Sorry if this subject has been covered. I did a search but ran out of time after 18 pages!! After years of staying logged-in, all of a sudden I'm being asked to log-in. It started a few days ago...sometimes asked, sometimes not. Now I'm being asked each time when on my computer but not on my Kindle. Or, is that the problem; checking HT from more than one source? I've used a Kindle or iPod to occasionally log-in for over 6 months with no log-in issues 'til the last few days. Just curious what I might be doing wrong.
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT
Default Re: Log-in issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Sorry if this subject has been covered. I did a search but ran out of time after 18 pages!! After years of staying logged-in, all of a sudden I'm being asked to log-in. It started a few days ago...sometimes asked, sometimes not. Now I'm being asked each time when on my computer but not on my Kindle. Or, is that the problem; checking HT from more than one source? I've used a Kindle or iPod to occasionally log-in for over 6 months with no log-in issues 'til the last few days. Just curious what I might be doing wrong.
Tutu, have any setting changed on your rigs(comps/kindle/tablet/smartphone)? Might be that maybe your cache or cookies were somehow deleted.

Could also very well be something from the server side of things, but, I too am always logged in from home, but haven't been prompted to re-enter any info to get here.

hopefully Ryan will chime in.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ali`i

From previous experience even through you check on the option Remember Me?, who is doing the remembering is not the HawaiiTreads web site but rather what ever browser you are using at the time.

So if you use one browser and you entered the HawaiiThreads web site by typing http://www.hawaiithreads.com as the URL and then click on the Remember Me? while logging in, your browser will remember your login for as long as you are referencing any web page that starts off with http://www.hawaiithreads.com.

If by some chance you reference a page that says http://hawaiithreads.com your browser will not catch it since it was set for http://www.hawaiithreads.com.

One workaround which I haven't tried is to also reference this web site by http://hawaiithreads.com and click on the Remember Me? option.
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Ali`i

Thx Tatt and Helen. Tatt, I hadn't changed any settings so I tried Helen's suggestion. We'll see if that works tomorrow morning! It's lights out time for me!
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

Poop! I've logged in both with and without the www and checked "remember me". I still have to log-in each time on my computer. Certainly not the end of the world, but...
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Ali`i

What browser are you using?
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Ali`i

Computer = Firefox
Kindle = proprietary
iPod = Safari
Only have an issue with Firefox and only recently.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ali`i

Any idea on the version of Firefox that you are using? I also take it that the computer is a Macintosh?

However at this point in the time will need to compare notes on other people who use Firefox.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Ali`i

Chrome here, but there were similar issues for me a couple of "latest version upgrades" ago.

Had to clear out the cache, cookies, and browser history then all was well in the WWWorld.

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ali`i

Helen...I'm not on my computer right now so I don't know the Firefox version. However, it's always the latest version. Last update was awhile ago so I don't think that's the problem. I'll let you know once I'm at my, yes, Mac!!

Tatt...I'll try doin' what you did!!!

Thx for the help, you 2.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Ali`i

I'm using Firefox. 12.0.
I'll clear everything before I shut down tonight then see what happens tomorrow!
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ali`i

So...I cleared everything awhile back. Didn't help. Now I'm being asked to log in more than once a day. Once logged in, when I submit a reply, I get a dialogue box saying I'm not logged in and to log in again! I don't mind once a day but now it's getting excessive...and frustrating. I'm not going to bother Ryan with this right now.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Ali`i

Hmmm...still sounds like a cookie issue to me (but I can't offer any more help than that not-much-help comment). Are you using a "do not track" option on your browsers?
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Ali`i

Tutu, I suggest you run a free application called "CCleaner". It will clear all your cookies and reset everything. It works for me. After running the application, you will have to sign in to each of your remembered sites the first time you sign on.

My email address book was hacked today sending out the "Amy Livingston" scam to everyone on the list. Very embarrassing! To clear the problem, I ran CCleaner and changed the password on my email account.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ali`i

(guess I'm not on your list )
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
So...I cleared everything awhile back. Didn't help. Now I'm being asked to log in more than once a day. Once logged in, when I submit a reply, I get a dialogue box saying I'm not logged in and to log in again! I don't mind once a day but now it's getting excessive...and frustrating. I'm not going to bother Ryan with this right now.
Did you remember to check the little "Remember Me" box just below the log in info area?

if things have been cleared out, and cleaned, then it will need to be checked again to stay logged in. . . I know we already covered it, just throwing out my sometimes useless $.02

I will give a +1 to the Freeware CCleaner program, good stuff. NOTE: Sometimes it will recognize parts of your registry, or system files, and will recommend them to be removed. . . if you do, it starts a whole new world of hurt, so just read through it all carefully.

Alos, hitman pro v.3+(I can't recall what incarnation they are on), it's a Dutch program, so DL in English if you decide to check it out. It is a great comprehensive program to root out malware, spyware, registry issues, cookies that get buried and buried, cache info that gets buried. . . it's pretty solid.

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God

Last edited by TATTRAT; June 12th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Ali`i

Thanks to each of you. Looks like I'm going to have to set aside some time to devote to this.

LL...yes, using do not track.

Tatt...yes, I've been clicking remember me every time...just in case!!!

Last edited by tutusue; June 13th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Thanks to each of you. Looks like I'm going to have to set aside some time to devote to this.

LL...yes, using do not track.

Tatt...yes, I've been clicking remember me every time...just in case!!!
Poop! I'm so sorry, hon!

Hope it gets sorted!

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Tatt...go to bed! It's already tomorrow in your neck 'o the woods!!!
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Ali`i

Are you still on Firefox 12 or did you upgrade to Firefox 13? Also are there any other web browsers available on your Macintosh? If so would it be possible to try HawaiiThreads on those other browers? You don't have to switch your day to day web browsing to the other browser.
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Are you still on Firefox 12 or did you upgrade to Firefox 13? Also are there any other web browsers available on your Macintosh? If so would it be possible to try HawaiiThreads on those other browers? You don't have to switch your day to day web browsing to the other browser.
FF 13 now, Helen.
I just tried Safari. I had to log in initially. Then I quit Safari, reopened it and I stayed logged in.
Does that help?
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:14 AM

My Safari 5.1.7 stays logged in all the time.. and when I leave the Mac, turn off Safari and then come back the next day... login is automatic, and I'm in without having to enter username and PW.

With Firefox I have to login for every new session.
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Ali`i

Interesting, Mel. I permanently stayed logged in on Firefox 'til about 6 weeks ago. Not you. And we're both using Macs. The plot thickens!
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Ali`i

I'm on Firefox 13 on a PC, but I've not had a login issue like this ever; almost any time I open HT I am automatically logged in (just as it sounds like you used to be, Sue). I think you need to find a techie to come by and see if they can identify what hidden setting on your Mac is causing this issue.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Ali`i

Yep, 7 years of automatic log-ins 'til recently. In life's big picture it's not really important. But it drives me crazy to not know why it happened...one day...out of the blue! Maybe it's the Universe's way of telling me to spend less time on the computer!!!