Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should lengthy tying of a dog be banned?
Yes, it should be banned 15 65.22%
No, it is OK to tie up dogs for days 2 8.70%
No, because I tie my dog up all day and night 2 8.70%
It would be hard to enforce, so why bother to try a ban 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Amati's Avatar
Amati Amati is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,039
Default Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

There is a bill in the legislature to ban lengthy tying up or chaining of a dog.

http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...be_banned.html


"a Senate committee gave unanimous approval last week to a bill that would outlaw lengthy tethering of manís best friend, a cruelty that is common in backyards throughout the state. The bill would make it a misdemeanor to tie a dog by chain, rope or other attachment to a doghouse, tree, fence or any other stationery object for more than three hours during a 24-hour period. Use of a running line, pulley or trolley system is among the exceptions."

According to the article, "Researchers reported in a 1994 edition of the journal Pediatrics that chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs and more than five times more likely to bite children".

I think that tying up dogs makes them frustrated and unpredictable and mean. Do know people who do this? My idiot neighbors tie their dog for days.
__________________
Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Random's Avatar
Random Random is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Returned to Molokai
Posts: 3,419
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
There is a bill in the legislature to ban lengthy tying up or chaining of a dog.

http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...be_banned.html


"a Senate committee gave unanimous approval last week to a bill that would outlaw lengthy tethering of manís best friend, a cruelty that is common in backyards throughout the state. The bill would make it a misdemeanor to tie a dog by chain, rope or other attachment to a doghouse, tree, fence or any other stationery object for more than three hours during a 24-hour period. Use of a running line, pulley or trolley system is among the exceptions."

According to the article, "Researchers reported in a 1994 edition of the journal Pediatrics that chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs and more than five times more likely to bite children".

I think that tying up dogs makes them frustrated and unpredictable and mean. Do know people who do this? My idiot neighbors tie their dog for days.
I had a dog who was tied up. Didn't want him to jump on any visitors, friend or foe.

Of course, one day he got loose and got hit by a car. Found out when I came home from school.

My tenants have a dog that is tied up. If not, I'd be forced to let them give her up.
__________________
Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Barry Barry is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 817
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

My dog sniffed crotches - because he didn't know how to shake hands.

He bit people who were aggressive, 'cause he couldn't punch or kick.

He barked,,, 'cause that's what dogs do.

He told lies ! He could open the fridge and I would catch him with a blob of butter on his nose. When asked what that was,,,, he would shake his head.

If the girls were fighting - then he would put one in in one corner of the room and the other oppossite.

Who says that they are not part of the family.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Barry Barry is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 817
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
My dog sniffed crotches - because he didn't know how to shake hands.

He bit people who were aggressive, 'cause he couldn't punch or kick.

He barked,,, 'cause that's what dogs do.

He told lies ! He could open the fridge and I would catch him with a blob of butter on his nose. When asked what that was,,,, he would shake his head.

If the girls were fighting - then he would put one in in one corner of the room and the other oppossite.

Who says that they are not part of the family.
Who would tie one of the family up ?????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Random's Avatar
Random Random is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Returned to Molokai
Posts: 3,419
Talking Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Who would tie one of the family up ?????
I've seen toddlers on leashes.
__________________
Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Walkoff Balk Walkoff Balk is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,021
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

I wouldn't want to meet a pit bull that's not on a leash.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
sophielynette's Avatar
sophielynette sophielynette is offline
Kia`aina
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 361
Send a message via AIM to sophielynette
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I wouldn't want to meet a pit bull that's not on a leash.

I've met plenty of pit bulls off leash. I've shared beds with them. I've cared for injured ones. I've never been bitten by a pit bull.


When I was growing up, we chained all our dogs. Dogs weren't allowed in the house. That just wasn't the way things were done.

The problem with chaining up dogs is that it leaves them vulnerable to any other animal or person that comes along. Dogs operate on fight or flight, which is why so many children get bitten by dogs on chains-- because the flight is no longer an option.

The debate of indoor dogs versus outdoor dogs is a hotly contended one. I'm of the opinion that a dog can live a perfectly happy life outside, as long as it is given plenty of human interaction. Some dogs just prefer being outside over being indoors. Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse, and an enclosed fence is the best of all, because it protects the dog from other animals and/or people.


However, I'm not sure I agree with this ban. I don't think three hours is a realistic amount of time, and I agree that enforcement would be an issue. Honestly, it's one of those circumstantial things.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Ron Whitfield Ron Whitfield is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,763
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

I feel the law is being pushed thru after decades of seeing owners chain up their pet and essentially forget about it. It has served it's original purpose as a fun 'thing' and now we're on to the next, or it's job is to maintain a presence on the property against thieves and nothing more, or whatever lame excuse for ignoring the animal's needs, like mere attention or affection, and many are not fed/watered regularly or sheltered sufficiently, or at all.

There are many who should simply not be allowed an animal.

I've long felt that pet ownership is a privilege and should be applied for, and laws strictly enforced, with more and tougher ownership laws. If the owner isn't worthy of the privilege then deny or recind it.
We wouldn't be seeing much animal neglect/abuse if this were the case, nor would the SPCA be killing thousands of wonderful animals because there aren't enuf loving households to take them all.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Kaonohi's Avatar
Kaonohi Kaonohi is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kahalu`u Stream
Posts: 2,932
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Dogs do not like being tied on a chain/rope. Would you?
It is cruel, and insensitive.
A cable run can limit a dog's range without making it feel imprisoned.
A fenced area is more expensive, but even better for the dog.

Every time I've seen a dog chained or tethered to a tree, stake, etc, it is usually stretched out at the limit of the chain, choking itself. Is this how dogs try to suicide?

Dogs need attention, barking dogs are more often than not , begging for attention.

If you don't have the means to care for a dog properly, you shouldn't keep one.

If you're concerned about security, an electronic security system from Radio Shack (or some similar place) is cheaper in the long run.
__________________
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
~ ~
Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
The debate of indoor dogs versus outdoor dogs is a hotly contended one. I'm of the opinion that a dog can live a perfectly happy life outside, as long as it is given plenty of human interaction. Some dogs just prefer being outside over being indoors. Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse, and an enclosed fence is the best of all, because it protects the dog from other animals and/or people.

However, I'm not sure I agree with this ban.
Why don't you agree with the ban? I don't get it.

First of all, the proposed legislation doesn't even talk about keeping a dog indoors or out. It just prohibits keeping a dog tied up to any stationary object for more than 3 hours. You yourself acknowledge that "Overhead trolley systems are preferable over chaining to a tree or doghouse." If you read the article carefully, you would see that the proposed legislation would make an exception for a dog kept on a trolley type system.

Knowing this, what would be the reason why you oppose the proposed ban?

In fact, I present that question to everyone on HT. What would be the reason you would give for opposing this proposed ban? I don't see how setting up a running line/trolley would present any kind of a financial hardship. If it does, then how can such a destitute owner afford to even offer a minimal level of care for his/her dog?

The owner says he has no time to set up a running line? Lord forbid our society would expect a dog owner to actually set aside a few hours time to show some responsibility for his pet!

Hard to enforce the law? Make a complaint to the authorities. All a police office/humane society personnel has to do is witness the dog being tied up, discreetly set up a surveillance/video camera..... and come back 3 hours later. Dog is still tied up in the same place? Issue the citation.

SHEESH!!! Did anyone think it would take a Lt. Columbo to wrap this case?
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 9th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Composite 2992 Composite 2992 is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 754
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Dogs can't live tied up any more than human beings can live tied up. That's the kind of animal they are.

If you can't give a dog a proper life, don't get one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Hard to enforce the law? Make a complaint to the authorities. All a police office/humane society personnel has to do is witness the dog being tied up, discreetly set up a surveillance/video camera..... and come back 3 hours later. Dog is still tied up in the same place? Issue the citation.
Set up a video? I think that's more work than the enforcement authorities are willing to do for this type of violation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Set up a video? I think that's more work than the enforcement authorities are willing to do for this type of violation.
I guess you would be the type to give up. OTOH, other people aren't afraid to make waves and complain to their councilman or even the mayor's office when the police aren't doing their job.

Try it, if the police are indifferent to complaints that you make. Works wonders. Worked like a charm for me when HPD wouldn't respond to complaints I made about people dumping old fridges and other bulky waste on our street corner.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM
sophielynette's Avatar
sophielynette sophielynette is offline
Kia`aina
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 361
Send a message via AIM to sophielynette
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Why don't you agree with the ban? I don't get it.

I don't agree with the wording of the ban-- like I said, it's a circumstantial. The wording of the ban says that any dog tied to a stationary object for more than three hours is illegal. Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me? An overhead trolley might not be practical in this situation, but I hardly consider tying a dog up to a tree beside my tent so that he can enjoy the great outdoors with me, to be cruelty.

I would be in favor of the ban if it were more about the circumstances, ie, if it banned frequent or prolonged tethering of a dog.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
OTOH, other people aren't afraid to make waves and complain to their councilman or even the mayor's office when the police aren't doing their job.
Some other people, obviously.

If you disagree with me, take it up with the Humane Society. They're the ones proclaiming the bill as unenforceable.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me?
SB 30
Quote:
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may:
(2) Tether, fasten, chain, tie, or otherwise restrain a
dog pursuant to the requirements of a camping or
recreational area;
I think that's covered.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
I don't agree with the wording of the ban-- like I said, it's a circumstantial. The wording of the ban says that any dog tied to a stationary object for more than three hours is illegal. Well, what if I'm going camping or to the beach for the day, and I want to bring my best friend and fellow family member with me? An overhead trolley might not be practical in this situation, but I hardly consider tying a dog up to a tree beside my tent so that he can enjoy the great outdoors with me, to be cruelty.

I would be in favor of the ban if it were more about the circumstances, ie, if it banned frequent or prolonged tethering of a dog.
Well, that's what trials are for. If you as a dog owner is cited but you have a perfectly legitimate explanation, then you can make your case to the judge.

BTW, just because certain places allow for dogs to accompany their owner on a leash on the beach does not mean that the owners are allowed to keep their dogs with them in the camping area. The Hawn. Humane Society lists beach parks where dogs are and are not allowed. Some places (like Bellows and Mokuleia) allow for dogs to walk below the high-tide line, but not above it. That would make it pretty hard to tie up your dog next to your tent.

http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/progra...ogbeaches.html
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
If you disagree with me, take it up with the Humane Society. They're the ones proclaiming the bill as unenforceable.
I don't give a gnarled rat's okole what the HHS says. If that dog thethering law is passed and I can produce indisputable videotaped evidence of a violation, then it doesn't matter what the HHS says. I'll just give the evidence straight to the police. And the police will have to enforce the law. If they don't, then they are not doing their job.

Gecko, I would love for an uncooperative police officer to say that enforcing any law on the book is too much work for them, as you put it in a previous post. I would take down that officer's name and badge number,...... and there will be hell for them to pay. Unfortunately, most officers/dispatchers aren't that stupid and will think of a more palatable excuse. But with persistance and the right kind of "persuasion," HPD will have no choice but to enforce the law, or it's their butt that will be on the line.

Glad you're not on the police commission. If it's acceptable in your eyes for officers to selectively decide when to enforce or ignore legitimate complaints, then many of 'em will be spending a lot more time at Dunkin' Doughnuts.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM
dick's Avatar
dick dick is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 666
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

I'm with Composite... if you don't have time to spend with a dog (thus you must tie it up) there's no reason whatsoever to have the thing.

Dogs are social animals. If you don't have the time to spend with your dog, get rid of it. Anything else is pure cruelty, and should be treated as such.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
If that dog thethering law is passed and I can produce indisputable videotaped evidence of a violation,
Yes, if you want to set up the camera. Your earlier post suggested that "they" set up the camera.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Gecko, I would love for an uncooperative police officer to say that enforcing any law on the book is too much work for them, as you put it in a previous post.
Let me re-phrase that - they don't have the time to enforce this workload intensive misdemeanor-level violation. Even if you handed them the tape, they'd have to take the time to review it. How many other complaints could they investigate in that time?

The HHS did suggest: "In a few states and municipalities, there are specific hours that a dog must be off-leash, and in some states, they have banned chaining completely."

Observe dog, look at watch, write citation. That would get done.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
turtlegirl's Avatar
turtlegirl turtlegirl is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Well, that's what trials are for. If you as a dog owner is cited but you have a perfectly legitimate explanation, then you can make your case to the judge.
Yeah. Except in court it is your sorry a-- word against a 'sworn officer of the law'. Good luck proving yourself. I can see it now - "Your Honor, my dog was tied outside for only two hours while my grandson was visiting, because he likes to pull the dog's tail, and we do not find that appropriate."
Judge - "was your dog outside on a tether?"
You - "yes."
Judge - "this officer claims he saw your dog outside for more than thre hours, so, GUILTY."

And, really, what cop would be staking out a tethered dog when they could be busting iceheads, directing traffic, or hanging out at Dunkin Donuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
I would take down that officer's name and badge number,...... and there will be hell for them to pay. Unfortunately, most officers/dispatchers aren't that stupid and will think of a more palatable excuse. But with persistance and the right kind of "persuasion," HPD will have no choice but to enforce the law, or it's their butt that will be on the line.
Yep. Good luck with that one too.

In my opinion, a dog's place is outside. Tethered is better than roaming free - it keeps them out of traffic and harm.

Oh, and this poll doesn't have the right answers. It could include one that says "Its okay to tie up your dogs when the circumstances make it a good choice".
__________________
~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Last edited by turtlegirl; February 9th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Yep. Good luck with that one too.
No need to wish me luck. I made complaints about HPD's lack of enforcement in my neighborhood re: parking violations and rubbish dumping to my city councilman and the mayor in the past. Each time, I got a satisfactory response and prompt action from the police after I made written complaints and documented evidence of the violations.

Hey, if anyone chooses to suffer in silence while other people around them get away with breaking the law, they have only themselves to blame.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ron Whitfield Ron Whitfield is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,763
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

The bill is fatally flawed if it actually states that a dog can't be restrained for more than 3 hrs. That's stupid, and whomever is responsible for that inclusion should be named and grilled about such nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Amati's Avatar
Amati Amati is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,039
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Oh, and this poll doesn't have the right answers. It could include one that says "Its okay to tie up your dogs when the circumstances make it a good choice".
The law is intended to address the problem of the habitual chaining of dogs. I do not believe that if someone has their dog chained for an afternoon while their yard is sprayed for bugs, or the grandchildren are visiting, that the police will be overly eager to write a citation.

So, yes there are the occasional circumstances that could necessitate an extended chaining, but if longer than one day it would be best for the dog to make a running line. And remember, running lines are acceptible in the bill.
__________________
Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
helen's Avatar
helen helen is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 9,879
Default Re: Law to ban lenghty tying of dogs

I haven't seen the purposed bill but I am surprised that there isn't some kind of cable/chain length provision in the bill. For instance if the length of the cable is 10 feet or less than 3 hours is the max. time you can tie up the dog. However if the length is 25 feet or more the dog can be tied up 8 to 10 hours.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
pets, poll, wildlife

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

  Partner Sites: Hawaii Blog Hawaii News Hawaii Grinds Hawaii Social Media  
    Blogging the Aloha State. The Hawaii Star. Hawaii Food Blog. The story of Aloha 2.0.