Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Workshop
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlspwr View Post
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1967/img0798copycustomsl7.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/976...ycustomev2.jpg
saw you coming off vineyard heading east bound in the early evening, btw. i think it was tuesday. i was waaaay behind you in traffic. even at that distance, even pics as good as the ones you've been posting here don't do your honda justice.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim75 View Post
The gecko pics were taken down in South Kona. This noni bush was teaming with geckos.

http://diamondwillow.smugmug.com/pho...6_EDG7v-XL.jpg

http://diamondwillow.smugmug.com/pho...7_QpsQX-XL.jpg
omg, i love these gecko pics. GEICO should take a hint from these photos. their gecko would look much more appealing with the bits of color this one has.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Kumu

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
That's brings up yet more questions: How do you picking your starting point? How do you pick your "bracket" (range and steps)?

I understand the theory, I'm looking to understand how you do it.
A lot depends on what kind of features your camera has and if it's digital.
In my Nikon D80, inside the optical viewfinder, there is a light meter. It can be set to evaluate the light of the whole frame, a smaller section of the frame, or a small focused spot. In the Manago picture, it was set to meter the whole frame. The light meter shows values that range lower than zero, zero, and higher than zero. If the meter is showing on either side of zero, then, depending on which side and how far, you either have too much light or not enough light coming into the camera. However, in a scene where there are extreme exposure values, ie a broad range between the darkest and lightest parts of the scene, the averaging the camera does will frequently overexpose the brightest parts of the scene as a compromise solution. In most 'snapshots', a little overexposure in part of the pic is ok since the pic as a whole acceptably documents the persons vacation shot at the Pali lookout, or whatever. But if you get more picky and want things to be as good as possible, then you start choosing what compromises to make and don't leave them up to the camera. In a pic like the Manago, I start by taking one that the camera says is going to be fairly underexposed. That way the brightest part of the scene will have a better chance of being exposed properly. I could just as easily set the light meter for spot metering and then meter the Neon sign, for example, as a starting point. But it takes a little time to change the metering and if you do that sometimes you'll forget to change it back and then get a surprise result when shooting at a later time. I can usually start pretty close to the right exposure or close enough to hone in pretty quickly in just a couple of shots. I could also adjust exposure compensation to cover the tendency to overexpose, but I prefer to have most of the adjustments set at the default and then make guesses based on experience.

To more specifically answer your question (and assuming you're using a digital camera), let's say you're taking a photo at a starting point with a shutter speed of 1/50 and an aperture of f11. Your camera is telling you this will be a correct exposure. You take it and part of the picture is too bright/overexposed. So, you could take the next one at 1/100, half as much light. If that's too dark, back up to 1/80. Eventually you'll get close enough. For me, it's just educated guessing. With the ability to see what you've got instantly, there's no real need to bracket in specified graduated steps like with a film camera, ie one and two stops over and under. If you're close, make a smaller adjustment. If way off, take a bigger step. Eventually you'll be in the neighborhood. The shortest answer is really just 'trial and error'. Practice and experience helps reduce the number of trials and errors.

Another advantage my DSLR gives me is that one of the choices of how the lcd preview appears is called 'highlight'. When set in that mode, if I take a pic and an area is overexposed, ie completely void of detail, the area that is overexposed will pulsate showing the overexposure. It's very handy as you often can't tell just by looking at the lcd without that function on.

Does your camera have a light meter that displays?
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Ali`i

Driving back from the north shore yesterday afternoon, I saw these two vehicles parked on the side of Kam Highway near one of the shrimp shacks between Kahuku and Turtle Bay so I pulled over and snapped these from inside my car:

One more of the truck to follow...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Ali`i

The truck again from a slightly different angle:

Sorry now that I didn't take the time to get shots of the two interiors.

Old February 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Kumu

Nice shots, Likanui! I especially like that first one.
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Nice shots, Likanui! I especially like that first one.
Thanks, Jim. Those were just quick snapshots, nowhere near the quality of your photos. Those gecko shots were awesome!

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM

The Queen Mary 2 was in town this past weekend. More photos here.

I love the previous photos of the green gecko, Manago Hotel in Kona, people at Waimea Falls, hot rods on the side of the road, rice rockets in the parking garage. Keep on shooting everyone!
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ali`i

Hey Jim75, how was the lighting during those gecko shots? I noticed it was noon, but was the light diffused by the canopy?

Shot w/ your 18-200? Do you use Adobe RGB or sRGB? Do you notice much of a difference?
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Does your camera have a light meter that displays?
It displays the exposure it wants to use, so I can use that as a starting point and I know what the "stops" are to go from there. Since I'm not used to doing that, a couple of things that I have trouble with is how close I need to get to the "right" exposure. In my film years I was spoiled by shooting negatives rather then slides, so I didn't need to be as accurate in my exposure.

The other problem is learning how to "read" my LCD display. I doesn't have the range a proper display has, so a picture that is actually fine may not look so good in the camera. I do have a histogram, but the camera lacks a way of telling me what parts of the photo is "blown out". Depending on the scene, it may be completely acceptable to have parts that are total white, but I still need to know that my highlights are good.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to integlspwr Send a message via Yahoo to integlspwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
saw you coming off vineyard heading east bound in the early evening, btw. i think it was tuesday. i was waaaay behind you in traffic. even at that distance, even pics as good as the ones you've been posting here don't do your honda justice.
thanks mate! nxt time u see me, honk....

Plus im trying my best to get the best pics with my Point & Shoot but I'm noticing that i can't get clear enough pics like i want to without a DSLR. I guess time to look into one...
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlspwr View Post
Plus im trying my best to get the best pics with my Point & Shoot but I'm noticing that i can't get clear enough pics like i want to without a DSLR. I guess time to look into one...
Which Point & Shoot are you using?

Modern P&S's can take pictures rivaling DSLRs (under the right circumstances). Depending one what photo style you're after, you might not need a DSLR. Here's some thing you can try:

1) Shoot during the day.

More light allows you to use a faster shutter speed (to counteract camera shake), a smaller aperture (to give you greater depth of field), and a lower ISO (reduced noise).

Try shooting when it's bright but overcast. The clouds will soften the harsh sunlight. If it's a clear day, then park your car in the shade. Not dark shade, but light shade (some place where light is bouncing off the landscape into the shaded area).

2) Use a tripod, a monopod, or steady your camera/arm/body against a solid object. Camera shake is your enemy.

When shooting a gun, people lose accuracy as they pull the trigger. They unknowingly jerk the gun around at the last moment. The same thing applies to a camera.

If you're hand holding your camera, brace your camera or yourself against something. Your camera's image stabilization feature will help here.

If using a tripod, consider also using the camera's self-timer, so you're not touching the camera/tripod when the photo is taken.

3) If your camera allows for manual control of shutter speed, aperture, etc. and you're comfortable setting them, then great. If not, you can try the different camera modes (sports/action/kids, landscape, etc.) to see if any of them give you better results.

If you do get a DSLR, let us know what you get, so we can live vicariously through your purchase ;_)
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

Quote:

In photos with challenging lighting, it's good to 'bracket' shots. You may already know what this is, but in case you don't . . . Bracketing is taking an index shot of what you think the correct exposure will be and then taking one or more shots with the aperture or shutter speed progressively smaller/faster and one or more with the aperture or shutter speed progressively larger/slower. I burned up a lot of film doing this, but I got a lot of good shots in the process. Shots that would otherwise have been lost. I always felt like if I got a couple of really good shots out of a roll of 36, I was happy. But now with digital, and the ability to preview what you've taken, there's no reason not to take as many as is neccessary to get the exposure right.

A good intro to HDR!

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by likanui View Post
driving back from the north shore yesterday afternoon, i saw these two vehicles parked on the side of kam highway near one of the shrimp shacks between kahuku and turtle bay so i pulled over and snapped these from inside my carne more of the truck to follow...

nice!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
Ali`i

First fish my youngest daughter ever caught. 4.5 lbs catfish from Nuuanu Reservoir. She expected a goldfish, not something which could swallow her foot. She wanted to go home after catching this ;_)

Sunset at Sand Island Beach:

I found a spot where I could make the clouds look like steam coming off the trees:

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Ali`i

MJ--love the catfish! My brother ran from a turtle he caught once...soon as he pulled it onshore he was outta there!

Jim, I echo cyns' words...the gecko pics are just beautiful. (BTW, were you on the side of Kaukonahua yesterday?)

Mel, I love the Queen Mary portrait. She is elegant, eh?

I just enjoy this thread so much. Thanks to all!
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

Nice catch of the clouds, MJ.

I used to do a lot of staged photography like this back in college. I'm trying to get back into it since I'll be starting school again in the fall. Two of my favorite things; rats and pocketwatches.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Kumu

An old friend I grew up with in South Dakota came to visit for about 9 days. So here are some of the things we saw and did. I've decided to post a number of them. Many are simply documentary shots, but I think they tell the story and I think HT'ers on the mainland might enjoy them. Had to take him up to the North Shore to see the surf spots and sights. On the way back we stopped at Fumis shrimp stand. I had the Coconut Shrimp. Highly recommended. Ono! Next, we swung over to Honolulu and up to the Tantalus overlook.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Kumu

Then down to Waikiki at sunset. One morning we went to the Waikiki Aquarium.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Kumu

More from the Aquarium.

Old March 6th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Kumu

Another group of Aquarium shots. More tomorrow.

Old March 6th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Jim, have you thought about self-publishing a coffee table book of your all time hits? I'd buy it.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

God, I get all teary eyed missin' Oahu...

Great work, Jim. As always!

I need to get out and shoot, nothing has really been inspiring though, and I feel like it shows in more of my recent work...

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ali`i

Breathtaking work Jim. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I need to get out and shoot, nothing has really been inspiring though, and I feel like it shows in more of my recent work...
Yeah, it's tough when you don't feel inspired. Maybe instead of trying to shoot carefully, you can take a bunch of silly shots, and be pleasantly surprised by an accident?

I spent half a day walking up and down Kaimuki taking pictures (while waiting for my car to be serviced). After a lot of sweat and a really sore foot, I'm not terribly happy with my shots.

But I am happy w/ a lot of things which can't be captured in a photo: the things I did to get those shots, which took me out of my comfort zone.

1) While crossing a street I noticed how wide and open it felt (something rare in our crowded island). An hour later I came back to the same street and stood at the intersection like an idiot and feeling self conscious. When the crossing light came on AND there were no cars on that street, I walked to the middle, knelt, and tried to get a few interesting shots.

2) I walked around the Chaminade University campus for the first time. Lived near it for a decade, but never had a reason to visit it.

3) I saw an man picking rubbish off the curb with of all things, a pair of chopsticks. I had just put my camera away in my bag, and I was feeling self conscious about pulling it out. I walked away, scolding myself for not having my camera out (I was in an area where I didn't want to be seen carrying a camera, but all in all probably not a very dangerous area). Then I scolded myself for not having the guts to just pull my camera out, so I walked back to where the guy was and took some pictures from a distance. Later I approached him to see if he wanted to talk, but he wasn't interested. He was looking at the camera in my hands. Perhaps I should have shouldered it, to look less threatening.

Closed Thread