Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Workshop
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old March 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Kumu

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Thanks Tutusue, Tat, and Barry. I like the idea of putting together a coffee-table book. There are a lot of photographers in Hawaii that are much better than me, but maybe there's a niche I could fill.

MJ, That first pic is really strong with the turning arrows from a vantage you never really get to see. I suppose the guy is using chop sticks so he doesn't have to touch stuff. Kind of a neighborhood clean-up project maybe.

We went to Pearl Harbor one morning. The 30 minute movie you watch before they take you to the memorial is very moving. It was interesting to see where it all went down, kind of imagining the ships and planes and explosions.

The first pic is the USS Missouri. Second is inside the Arizona Memorial. Third a steam powered torpedo.

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Kumu

Last Saturday we took the Hawaii Superferry from Honolulu to Kahului, Maui. I've included as the first pic a shot of the ferry from Waikiki to give an idea of size for those who haven't yet seen it. It's a very big boat.

We took off in the dark and as you may recall last weekend was very windy. When we got out into the channel between Oahu and Moloka'i, the sea was a little rough. Being from a landlocked place, I don't have too much frame of reference. But I've been on Ferry's several times in Pugeot Sound and crossing the English Channel and never experienced anything even remotely like this. It was very exciting. The bow of the ship would go up and the wave seemed to pick the whole ship up and eventually you'd be on top of the wave and the weight would shift and the bow would drop down into the trough of the wave. Smack! It'd hit the water. You could hear it and feel it. Getting up to walk around you had to hang on to anything you could reach. Once it kind of launched up and then dropped from under me and I was weightless for a second. It was a blast. After a while it settled down and was pretty easy going.

On Sunday, we came back to the Ferry Terminal and they told us the weather was so bad the Ferry was cancelled. They put us up in the Maui Beach Hotel, which turned out to be a perfectly decent place to stay. They also gave each of us a $25 voucher for food at the Hotel restaraunt.

So Monday we show up again and it's a go. This time we sailed at about 11am. It was bumpy coming out of Maui and then it got rough pretty much like it was coming over. One time the bow went up and when it came down it was very close to having water come over the bow. Not a lot, but take a look and the size of that boat and imagine what it had to be like for that to occur. There were numerous occassions when the boat would get up on top of a wave and then it would pivot a few degrees. I wondered if it was the captain doing a steering manuever or if when the boat was just right on top of the wave it was vulnerable to being pushed by the wind. Likanui, any thoughts on that. It felt like it was pivoting in-place from the center of the boat. Anyway, the aquatic rodeo eventually smoothed out and it was back to Oahu. Big fun!

I've included some pics for inside the boat. The Superferry website doesn't really show you much so some may be interested if you've been thinking of riding it. For $19 extra, each way, you can sit in the luxury lounge up front. The main advantage is you can see what's going on in front of the boat. It was very nice, but the lounges in the back were also very nice and would've been fine. The second pic is the luxury lounge up front. The third is the lounge in the back. There are also sections of seating along the sides. In the center are some shops. On Tuesday, I was at work, sitting at my computer, and a couple of times I could still feel my brain trying to adjust to the motion of the ship.

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Kumu

Moloka'i was a little hazy on the way over and more so on the way back. It's big and mountainous. Seeing it made me want to go there. The first two shots are on the way over. The third is on the way back.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Kumu

When we got to Maui, we went to Lahaina and then on to Hana. The road to Hana is very beautiful. Dense vegetation and waterfalls. The second pic is a stand of what I'm guessing are eucalyptus trees. The third is what the top of a bamboo forest looks like. Underneath is a thick system of bare bamboo stalks.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Kumu

Since we had an extra day on Maui, we went back into Lahaina. Wandering around the waterfront, this woman coaxed us to take a rubber raft to see the whales. Since I'm Kama'aina, it was $30 each for two hours, a bargain at twice the price. The crew took us and about 5 others out at 4pm and we saw lots of whales. Cows, calves, Escourts. The first pic is from behind the captain. The second is a single humpback whale's back. The third is the fluke as the whale dives down.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Kumu

Three more of the whales. Two together. A juvenile male barrel rolling and giving us the whale shaka. Third is the head of a whale that breached and is falling back into the water. We saw two breach completely out of the water. It happens fast and you don't know where it's going to happen. That's a shot I definitely want to take. I'll have to go back and try again.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Kumu

Day's end on Maui. A hardship . . . I know. But someone has to experience it.

Rounding Diamond head on the way back.

Finally, unloading off the Ferry. Hope that wasn't too many pics at one time.

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

awesome photos jim!

i especially like the detail in the diamond head shot.

Here's one from Waimea Canyon

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ali`i

Hey, Jim...I take it 'mal de mer' is not an issue with you!!!

I think a coffee table book of HT's greatest photos is definitely in order.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ali`i

Absolutely SUPERB Jim, so many memories brought back. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Keiki

Wow! Such incredible photos!

Thank you to all of you for sharing.

Beautiful, beautiful ... I'll have to slowly walk thru them all again
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim75 View Post
We went to Pearl Harbor one morning. The 30 minute movie you watch before they take you to the memorial is very moving.
During the movie, while listening to the narrator, I kept thinking, "Damn, she has a sexy, sultry voice. Worth the price of admission!"

;_D
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ali`i

Great photos as always, everyone! We've got some really talented shooters here.
Some of you really enjoy shooting ocean waves, so I encourage you to check out North Shore resident Clark Little's website at this link.
His most famous recent photo is this one. I hear it's being displayed in the Wyland galleries now.
Click on Clark's website's Gallery section to see thumbnails of several dozen amazing wave photos. (And heads up -- when you click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and then click back, it always takes you to page one for some reason.)
His photos are inspiration for the rest of us. Go shoot 'em, folks!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ali`i

I saw a couple of Clark Little's photos featured on a national TV show recently. Might've been the 4th hour of the Today Show but I'm not sure.

Unbelievable wave shots!
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Jim, have you thought about self-publishing a coffee table book of your all time hits? I'd buy it.
DITTO, Tutu! I'd buy it also! Jim, you are sooooooo good. I love your work. It's incredible.

My dad's a photographer... great technical work, but he doesn't have "the eye" like you do.

Many thanks for the hours of enjoyment your photos have given me. I look at them again and again, and always see something new.
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Ali`i

Another round of thanks for your great work, Jim. I know just where you were; hubby and I stayed on the Kahului side last month, watched the sun on Molokai and saw a little whale activity. We didn't get the chance to boat out to see them; next year.

Don't worry; you never post too many.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Ali`i

Talking Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

WOW! Just incredibly beautiful!
Reiteration... I love this thread.
Mahalos
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ali`i

Yesterday there were record-setting waves on the windward coast from Kualoa Point up to Turtle Bay. Where you usually see waves no more than about 3' high, they were 15' to 18'+ yesterday! (And a few in the 25' to 30' range!)
The reef is several hundred yards out along that part of the coast, so the water inside the reef is usually pretty darned flat. But yesterday water and debris washed across Kam Highway in a whole bunch of places, snarling traffic; many of the oceanfront homes had yards full of flotsam and jetsam.
High tide was late in the afternoon, and I drove up the coast to take a look-see. Most impressive was Arch Rock, off of Laie Point. Lots of folks there, and all the locals young and old said they'd never seen anything even close to this.
You may recall a few photos of Arch Rock I posted back in January, like these two (and the ocean was rougher than normal that day!):

And this one also from January; the guy fishing gives some perspective on the height of Arch Rock, which is roughly 30' to 40' high:

Compare those two to the following photos taken yesterday afternoon. In this first one, look at the huge wave off the left end, and the spray (it's not clouds) going up 70' or so on the right end:

Also note the rock piles on top of Arch Rock (to the left of the arch) in the top two photos, and that they're missing in the third photo. A cop friend told me that several waves had washed completely over the top of Arch Rock!

More to follow...

Old March 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Ali`i

This is the right end of Arch Rock, and again that's all spray(70' to 80' high), not clouds:

Here a wave (not spray) is completely washing over the right end of Arch Rock, and you can barely see the top of the arch because of another wave in front of it:

And one more:

Pau.

Old March 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

CAPITOL SIZE 100 FONT

WOW!

Awesome captures, especially for that side! Thanks for sharing! I love the hundreds of little waterfalls off the right side in the last pic!

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Kia`aina

Thank you all so much! Your powerful photos make me feel like I am right there, with you in the moment. I never get tired of looking at all of these awesome photos. What a talented photography Ohana we have here... I just can't say enough good things to you all.

I should change my name to fanbird. thanks.
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Ali`i

Way cool comparison shots, LikaNui. Glad you were out there to catch those freaky waves.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

Red face Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

Ohhh. Love it!

All I have to offer is my "Command Center"
It's funny how the blur looks just like I see it. HaHa!
That's a t-shirt thumbtacked to the back of the desktop...
hiding the wires hanging behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HT-Command Center.jpg (31.3 KB, 11 views)
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Kumu

There's talk of banning Opihi picking this year. It would appear that this Opihi I obtained sure was doing ok. Note the quarter next to this monster for size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big fat Opihi.jpg (29.0 KB, 5 views)
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
[...]Note the quarter next to this monster for size.
Good grief, that opihi is the size of a small abalone. Does it taste as good sauteed in a little garlic butter?
Closed Thread