Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
Who knows? The guy may make it on the Jay Leno Show.
Oh great! Just what we need. An idiot defying safety warnings to be rewarded with an appearance on national TV. As if we don't already have enough problems with idiots who put others in harm's way because they so desperately crave for attention (i.e. Richard Heene/the balloon boy).
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Ali`i

I just saw on Twitter that pzarquon and his family are donating the extra groceries that they purchased (in advance of possible tsunami damage) to their church's food bank.

What a fantastic idea, and one that ought to be circulating far and wide.

Thank you, Ryan.
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Ali`i

Ave Maria! A friend who lives aboard a boat at a local marina said the surge from the tsunami tore apart a pier, several boats bottomed out on the sand or broke their moorings, some crashed into the docks. Some of these boats in the 70 to 80 ft. range. So this tsunami did have consequences!
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Ali`i

What marina was that?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

I think Kalalau lives somewhere in California where the surges were bigger than here.
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Ali`i

Yes, I live in San Diego, the marina is at the north end of Shelter Island in San Diego Bay near the Bali Hai restaurant, if you know where that is. Its probably on google earth. I was shocked by my friend's account because there was nothing in the local news about it. He said there was broken wood floating all over the harbor--from piers, docks, boats. Very surprising.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hilo Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
HawaiiNewsNow (KGMB/KHNL/KFVE) is showing a shot of Coconut Island in Hilo Bay and the water level around that island is going down
While a captivating video of the ebb and flow of the affected tides, the video quality was grainy. I hope they upgrade that camera. Based on history, Hilo Bay is a key location, and we need reliable, better quality video surveillance feeds set up all around the Big Island's coasts.

Firsthand, my mother was THERE and experienced the 1946 Hilo Tsunami more upland, having lost friends in its wake. Ever since, she's very PARANOID about Tsunami threats. Ask her (or ask me, and I'll ask her). She has some interesting stories to tell about that event.

Last edited by Pomai; March 1st, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
I filled up WaterBob...now have to use up a bathtub full of water. I guess that's a good problem to have!
I thought about WaterBob as I was filling waste baskets!!! How do you dry the inside of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
[...]
Besides, the "surfer schmuck" should be allowed to stay out in the ocean if he so desires. It's his life and his fun time. If he wants to drown, then that's the consequence of his choice.
While I don't have a problem with that there's still the possibility that should he be injured or lose his life, his family just might sue the C&C and the State. Then there's the cost of emergency personnel having to tend to an incredibly stupid act, not to mention the personnel being put in harm's way needlessly. As it was, he cost the taxpayers money with the HPD chopper being sent to warn him. He should be made to reimburse that cost. Yes, I know the chopper was in the air anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Oh great! Just what we need. An idiot defying safety warnings to be rewarded with an appearance on national TV. As if we don't already have enough problems with idiots who put others in harm's way because they so desperately crave for attention (i.e. Richard Heene/the balloon boy).
You deleted Pomai's laughing smilie.

Time for me to return to my letter of disgust to a McDonald's franchise owner!
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

We sure dodged the bullet, as the saying goes!

Incredible watching Hilo bay/harbor draining and filling again. It was amazing!
Then the reef off of Maui became exposed... and on. But no real damage. Cool!
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ali`i

Evidently looting is breaking out in Chile now. It brings up a question I have had for a long time. When, if ever, are you allowed to simply take what you need in order to survive? Say there is a huge disaster and you are without food or water or shelter and you have spent your last dime already and of course no banks are open. Are you just supposed to starve to death or die of thirst? Or are you allowed to enter a store and take (steal?) what you need to get through a day? If you are caught in a blizzard (real likely in Hawai'i...) are you allowed to break into and enter a house for shelter in order to survive, or does the law require you to just go die?

I saw people looting after Katrina, in many cases they had to in order to survive, and its not hard to imagine the same situation in Haiti and in Chile after their earthquakes, the same thing could happen anywhere, certainly in California if an 8.5 knocks down San Francisco again. Question is, what does the law permit people to do to survive?
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Time for me to return to my letter of disgust to a McDonald's franchise owner!
I am disgusted as well! You get it girl, write it and send it to the powers that be, please - what the hell sort of manager is so ignorant as to force his employees to work in an inundation zone!! That is sooo ridiculous, and it has to be at least covered by OSHA standards. I hope that whoever was behind this will be fired!
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
Question is, what does the law permit people to do to survive?
"The law" doesn't permit looting. BUT, given the circumstances, it would be understandable if those authorized to enforce the law chose not to prosecute.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Well, it looks like we dodged the bullet this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
We sure dodged the bullet, as the saying goes! But no real damage.
Hurricanes not hitting us, that is like dodging the bullet. But Saturday's event was not a miss, it was a hit to be sure. What hit us however, was small and noticable so it will be like we was hit by a BB Pellet, rubber bullet, or a tranquilizer dart.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
I am disgusted as well! You get it girl, write it and send it to the powers that be, please - what the hell sort of manager is so ignorant as to force his employees to work in an inundation zone!! That is sooo ridiculous, and it has to be at least covered by OSHA standards. I hope that whoever was behind this will be fired!
I'm about half way thru it. Learned today that my building's management wasn't approached by the McDs in question about evacuating employees to a higher level of the building. All those levels are secure so someone would've had to make a request. Mgmt said they would've granted it. At this point I don't know if the decision to stay open was made by the owner or the manager. I'm going to give them an opportunity to tell their side of the story first, with a deadline. I doubt they will but, if they do, that's when I'll pick their excuses apart with a scalpel because there just aren't any legitimate ones for this situation. I really, really have my panties in a bunch over this.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
What hit us however, was small and noticable so it will be like we was hit by a BB Pellet, rubber bullet, or a tranquilizer dart.
Can I assume you had experiences with BB pellets, rubber bullets, and tranq darts?

They sting. And you'll KO when the tranq hit your system.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Ali`i

Very little experience of BB pellets and only on the sending side. Okay maybe go for a spit ball or paint ball.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Ali`i

7 AM Saturday...rolled out of bed...bowl of cereal with banana...clicked on the TV.....there's Joe Moore....brief confusion..looked at my watch?....then

BAM holy cow a Tsunami coming.

Woke up my daughter. We got dressed and fed real quick. Then down to Honokohou Harbor. Mass people at the docks. Boats leaving everywhere. Got the Cool Breeze unwrapped and rigged up in record time. Eva was a total trooper. She might be the best 8 yo sailor in the islands. Moved the car up to the Tesoro. Went in for some beer and grub. Hitched back to the Harbor. Eva had the boat ready to go. Off we went.

Must have been 200 boats outside green buoy. Mill pond ocean with nary a ripple. Could see my reflection in the water. (Felt like Earthquake Weather from my old Cali days.) Kinda creepy.

Bobbed around for hours. Threat passed by Noon or so. Sailed back into harbor. It was worse coming in. Boat after boat, with fishing boats just running folks down in the mouth and the channel. Some cornhole captains need a good ass-whipping. Guys couldn't even find their own mooring balls without the neighbor vessels there to guide them.

Jumped aboard the LeiMakani to help Aunty dock the boat. Helped catch other boats with single person on board. Eva ran around everywhere helping everybody.

3:30 pm.....Taco Bell for a grind fest. We were totally starving.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ali`i

KHON reports that "some customers" are accusing a 76 filling station in Maili of price-gouging. Marisa Yamane interviewed disgruntled customer Jeffrey Lee, who showed a receipt saying he paid $4.47 per gallon for premium. As KHON's investigation showed, though, it was revealed that Lee used one of the "full service" pumps, which charges a $1 more per gallon.

It's too bad Marisa didn't go back to Mr. Lee to get his reaction.... because it would have been nice to see a guy like him on-camera realizing that he has made a TOTAL JACKASS of himself. For the following reasons:

1) Mr. Lee claimed to have been a "loyal customer for many years" of that gas station. Oh really? Then what is his excuse for not being aware that the station did not have full service pumps?

2) I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Lee was aware that he was paying full service price. It's just that he doesn't want to admit that he went to the full service area because the line was shortest for those pumps. He, like so many other idiots in this state, went on a panic buying spree. All he cared about was filling up his trucks, tanks, and generators full of gas at that time. Later on, after the tsunami warning was cancelled and Mr. Lee's sanity returned, he's all sore because he wasted his money purchasing gas from the full service pumps. At best, Jeffrey Lee is a crybaby. At worst, he's deliberately slandering the reputation of a business that doesn't deserve any accusations of price-gouging.

It's too bad Marisa didn't do a follow-up interview with Jeffrey Lee or any other disgruntled customer for their reaction to the truth. The Maili 76 station deserves an apology from those selfish, no-class people.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

Pretty amazing stuff here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201003...neddaysonearth

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
KHON reports that "some customers" are accusing a 76 filling station in Maili of price-gouging.[...]
This is the gas station I use when I'm in residence in Makaha. The lanes have been marked exactly the same way for years...3 for self serve and 1 for full serve. That FS lane is immediately outside the station's office and within easy view of the garage. The only issue I have with the owner's interview is that he said the disgruntled customer didn't ask for full service. In the 15 years I've patronized that station, when I pull into the full serve lane I have never had to ask for full service. An employee sees my location and is there to do his/her job. That should've been the case on Saturday but the owner didn't offer any insight as to why that didn't happen. The FS lane at that station has always been expensive altho' I didn't realize it was a dollar more. Good thing I don't fill 'er up there! I'm reasonably sure there wasn't any price gouging involved but it appears to me that that particular lane's customers might've received poor service.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
This is the gas station I use when I'm in residence in Makaha. The lanes have been marked exactly the same way for years...3 for self serve and 1 for full serve. That FS lane is immediately outside the station's office and within easy view of the garage. The only issue I have with the owner's interview is that he said the disgruntled customer didn't ask for full service. In the 15 years I've patronized that station, when I pull into the full serve lane I have never had to ask for full service. An employee sees my location and is there to do his/her job. That should've been the case on Saturday but the owner didn't offer any insight as to why that didn't happen.
I know the reason why.

Jeffrey Lee stated (in his own recollection) that he went to the gas station at 4 AM in the morning. At that time of the day, the 76 station would have a skeleton crew working. Probably just ONE attendant to do the full serve, and maybe one cashier. (I would be very surprised if the owner had two or more FS attendants.) The station owner/manager couldn't have foreseen the tsunami warning when the work schedule was made, could he? Even if the station manager stayed awake late Friday night to hear about the tsunami warning, it would have been very difficult to schedule extra help at that time.

Result: The 76 station was swamped with customers, with little in the way of working hands.

If it was just a lone attendant already in the middle of taking care of another customer (full service would include the attendant pumping the gas, wiping the windows, checking the oil, checking the tire pressure, and anything else the customer requests), then you know the attendant had more on his hands than he could handle. I don't care if that attendant happens to be an honor student in HCC's automotive tech program. You can only service one car at a time.

Since you patronize that particular station, Sue, perhaps you can answer this. Are those the kind of pumps where one can swipe a CC/debit card and not have to go to the cashier? I betcha that is probably what happened with those impatient customers, who were in such a hurry that they didn't want to wait for the attendant to finish the other car. Yeah, I know. It would be nice if the attendant(s) could be "eagle-eyed" and warned every incoming customer about the full-serve price. But if the attendant is checking under the hood, it sorta makes it tough, y'know? There's only so much running back-and-forth between cars that a human being can do before things get just a little chaotic and confusion ensues.

But I don't buy Jeffrey Lee's excuse that he didn't know that he was at the full-serve pumps for a second. As he said, the line of cars waiting to fill up at the station was going out into the street. Once he realized he was in the line for the full-service pumps, he probably didn't want to go back in line to the gas-n-go pumps. He just wanted his gas, now, at that time. Too late for any regrets at this point.

Even if you want to give Lee the benefit of the doubt, then what does that mean? The man is illiterate because he can't read the "full serve" sign, or he was utterly careless and didn't take the time to read the price per gallon posted on the pump display. Either way, I say that guy is a self-centered jerk.

BTW, sorry if I'm coming across as being more upset about this than I should. But having worked as a gas station attendant during my high school days, I know what it feels like to be swamped with cars during a time of unexpected emergency and the station is short-handed. If any sort of confusion or misunderstanding occurs and the attendant is labelled as the sort of person who provides "poor customer service," well then,.... I think that such an assessment would be most unfair.

JMNSHO.

Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 2nd, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ali`i

Several minutes of footage as the waters went out at Ventura (CA) harbor.

Warning: if shaky hand-held video makes you queasy, take your meclazine before viewing.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Ali`i

Yes indeed. I just got off the phone with a friend who was at Ventura Harbor during the tsunami and it was significant. My live-aboard friend's observations on SD Bay have been confirmed and evidently the local news is covering the story now. Late, but...better late, etc.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I know the reason why.

Jeffrey Lee stated (in his own recollection) that he went to the gas station at 4 AM in the morning. At that time of the day, the 76 station would have a skeleton crew working. Probably just ONE attendant to do the full serve, and maybe one cashier. (I would be very surprised if the owner had two or more FS attendants.) The station owner/manager couldn't have foreseen the tsunami warning when the work schedule was made, could he? Even if the station manager stayed awake late Friday night to hear about the tsunami warning, it would have been very difficult to schedule extra help at that time.

Result: The 76 station was swamped with customers, with little in the way of working hands.[...]
You make a very valid point, FM. But let me ask you this...Does the owner have the ability to adjust, at will, the price on the pumps? I ask, because your point about being understaffed during an unforeseen emergency makes sense. So, if the pump price can be changed within a reasonable amount of time might it not have behooved the owner to go all "self serve", drop the full serve pump prices, cover the full serve lane sign with a hand written self serve sign and let all customers take care of themselves? I don't know the answer to this which is why I'm asking the question.
Quote:
Since you patronize that particular station, Sue, perhaps you can answer this. Are those the kind of pumps where one can swipe a CC/debit card and not have to go to the cashier[...]?
I honestly don't know because I use that station only for full service.
Quote:
But I don't buy Jeffrey Lee's excuse that he didn't know that he was at the full-serve pumps for a second.
I don't either. If he's truly a loyal customer as he mentioned he knows the full serve lane has remained in place...forever.
Quote:
As he said, the line of cars waiting to fill up at the station was going out into the street. Once he realized he was in the line for the full-service pumps, he probably didn't want to go back in line to the gas-n-go pumps. He just wanted his gas, now, at that time. Too late for any regrets at this point.
At that point one should just thank their lucky stars that they had the time to fill up and bite the bullet on the extra cost with no complaints. Had the tsunami hit full force and Mr. Lee was out of danger with all tanks full, ya gotta believe he wouldn't be complaining.
Quote:
[...]If any sort of confusion or misunderstanding occurs and the attendant is labelled as the sort of person who provides "poor customer service," well then,.... I think that such an assessment would be most unfair. JMNSHO.
I still think the owner had time to think thru his predicament a bit more and come up with a better solution...IF he had the ability to change his pump prices. I didn't mean to indict the attendant. This is kind of akin to my issue with McDonalds on Sat. The employees were at the mercy of their owner or manager.

BTW...did anyone try to go to Costco Iwilei on Sunday? I drove passed it and the line up of cars to get into the parking lot snaked both up and down Alakawa. I couldn't figure out if people were trying to return all the emergency merchandise they bought on Saturday or the people who couldn't stock up on Saturday morning decided not to wait for the next civil defense siren and were hoping to stock up before they got caught short handed again!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ali`i

Unhappy Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Several minutes of footage as the waters went out at Ventura (CA) harbor.

Warning: if shaky hand-held video makes you queasy, take your meclazine before viewing.
From what I've been told the pressure on the subduction plate off Washington/Oregon has been building up for way too long!

The Kwakiutl legend of the "Thunderbird" is said to be based on NW coast earthquakes. Hope you live above 200 ft elevation, Leo, cause sooner or later (likely sooner, since the plate has been moving), you won't have to watch tsunamis on TV.

Caring for you safety,

K
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.