Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Heahea > Announcements
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How did you find HawaiiThreads.com?
Personal invitation from another member. 14 10.61%
Mentioned online or in another group I participate in. 31 23.48%
A sister site (HawaiiNews.com, HawaiiAnswers.com, HawaiiStories.com). 19 14.39%
A web directory or local links page. 20 15.15%
A print ad (Honolulu Weekly, Downtown Planet, Ka Leo). 2 1.52%
Just random chance. 46 34.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default Finding HawaiiThreads.com

I hope HawaiiThreads.com can become a friendly, thriving, colorful online community for Hawaii. So I'm trying to spread the word, without being too annoying. I'm at least partially succeeding.

I've invited some good friends, I've posted to USENET, I've added links from "sister sites." To reach a bit wider, I'm also running ads in the Honolulu Weekly, Downtown Planet, and in Ka Leo at UH this week. There's even a tiny Google ad for certain web searches.

I'm curious about how people find their way here... and perhaps what they hope to get from the site. So, a quick poll, and click 'Reply' to add your thoughts! If you got here from a newspaper ad, I'd especially like to know which one, and perhaps what got you to sit down at your PC and type in our URL. (I'm always curious about how "real world" methods translate online.)
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Finding HawaiiThreads.com

I saw the announcement over in HawaiiStories.com, where I've lurked and occasionally posted over the past year or so. Not having a blog myself, I always felt a little awkward among such chatty folks! Forums like this are more my speed.
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Ali`i

Saw the mention to this site on the Usenet newsgroup soc.culture.hawaii. I think the thread was about someone asking about Hawaiian chat groups.

I suppose if I had waited a couple of days I would have seen it at HawaiiStories.com

However for HawaiiAnswers.com it was Bert's column in the Advertiser.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Administrator

That Burt's always on top of things. And in the HawaiiAnswers.com case, he was on it before I was!

I tracked down a copy of the Downtown Planet and cheered over the HawaiiThreads.com ad on the back page. First position, even! And at least one person mentioned in e-mail seeing it. Here's hoping it brings some new voices.
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Kanaka

"Mentioned online or in another group I participate in."

this is a very good lookin board! great job on who ever put this together!

aloha!

-vic
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks, vic!

Just a quick update... As I mentioned above, I experimented with traditional, print advertising when launching this site. After a month and a quite a few dollars, I'm actually quite surprised to conclude that the ads in the Weekly, Downtown Planet and Ka Leo brought very few new people into the `ohana.

No one so far above has listed those print ads as the way they found there way here, and perhaps five people have mentioned even seeing them.

Google has brought us some wonderful people, as have plugs in other online communities. So that's clearly the way to go.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Keiki

Send a message via AIM to WERUreo Send a message via MSN to WERUreo Send a message via Yahoo to WERUreo

I found this forum mentioned at the Alohaworld Ohana Lanai a few weeks ago. I'm an on again, off again poster over on da Lanai. Started back when they were a Delphi forum and am proud to take at least some credit for putting the idea of vBulletin in Koni's head...

I also sporadically participate in soc.culture.hawaii, but lately haven't been able to do a lot of posting anywhere. Even though this forum is aimed mainly for those still living in Hawai'i (as opposed to Alohaworld, which is dedicated mainly to those from Hawai'i living elsewhere), I hope to participate as much as I can. Never hurts to talk story with people still in da 'aina. \m/ ^_^ \m/
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Luna

Totally random...

Actually due to the forum that I normally frequent being down for the past 2 days. (I'm too ashamed to say what that forum is)
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Keiki

Aloha!
I linked to this site from Alohaworld Ohana Lanai too! Isn't that a great place? I live in Hawaii but really enjoy the input from Hawaiians around the world. Glad to see another enthusiast from that site. BTW, they'll be upgrading sometime in June. Looking forward to seeing that. I am a new member and just learning how to navigate in the Lanai. Izzie, Mokihana, etc are great encouragers, too!
Cya there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERUreo
I found this forum mentioned at the Alohaworld Ohana Lanai a few weeks ago. I'm an on again, off again poster over on da Lanai. Started back when they were a Delphi forum and am proud to take at least some credit for putting the idea of vBulletin in Koni's head...

I also sporadically participate in soc.culture.hawaii, but lately haven't been able to do a lot of posting anywhere. Even though this forum is aimed mainly for those still living in Hawai'i (as opposed to Alohaworld, which is dedicated mainly to those from Hawai'i living elsewhere), I hope to participate as much as I can. Never hurts to talk story with people still in da 'aina. \m/ ^_^ \m/
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Kanaka

Location: waycross,georgia..(deep south-alligators,snakes&bugs!)

i found you guys thru alohaworld.com when i joined the lost ohana site..it's great getting all the info emailed every couple of weeks..there are sooo many choices!!

but, hawaii threads is the 1st one i've actually posted on..it's the 1st site i've found that makes me feel @ home..so much aloha spirit........i just have so many questions about any & everything hawaiian,so i click on each & everything..even tho some of the posts are ova my head!!!....haha...
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Luna

I'm in the winning group
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Keiki

I'm very new to Hawaii Threads and have found it through Panther's Tale and Champuru.com. They have you guys listed on their blogs and online journals. I'm putting you up on my blog too, now.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

I'm impressed that 32 people have taken part in the poll so far.
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Luna

Hi,

Mt son found the site and begged me to respond to some of the postings. He wanted to attend the UH at Manoa but due to financial difficulties, he's staying in California.

I love the threads, been away for awhile but now I'm back.

Aleno
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleno
I love the threads, been away for awhile but now I'm back.
Aloha Aleno,

Long time no see. Hope you had a great summer with the boys, glad to see you're still kicking!

Old October 19th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
I'm curious about how people find their way here...
I found my way here via http://www.hawaiiradiotv.com/
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Ali`i

OLALA! I always had Hawaii Threads as a sister link on my weblog at Hawaii Stories. I only recently got nosy to find out what it was about...hence, finding this wonderful site on my own. The first day was great to talk story and be welcome by three regulars here. Yesterday and today I couldn't do as much as I wanted to as we've had a death in the family. I will however be a regular myself here cause I love to talk story and ventilate my feelings...after all I am 1stwahine and the infamous Aunty Lynn of Chinatown,Hawaii. Also, no body betta bother me,cause I from Mayor Wrights Housing...I know plenty Sole's and Micro Dots!(nah only joke) I do live @ MWH.

1stwahine
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Luna

Found it through the forum on www.hawaii.com and so glad I did. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I've also signed up on the HonoluluAdvertiser's Forum.. but that just doesn't quite compare either to the community thats here.

Great website!
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Keiki

While I answered "A web directory or local links page" I actually found HawaiiThreads through Google using "Hawaii forum" as my keywords.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Keiki

Hi, new here.

I found this site in google search for the exact terms:
hawaii forum

First in the search results! That's pretty good positioning for those simple terms.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Finding HawaiiThreads.com

I got turned onto the game called "Geocaching" and asked on the forums of www.geocaching.com. I learned of GPSHawai'i, which is a sub-forum and then discovered HawaiiThreads. I love it here!
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Ali`i

It's been a while, but I think I found the forum because I read Ian Lind everyday.
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

I was googling on some topic (can't remember what!) and HT was one of the hits. I recognized it immediately as being one of PZ's sites. Long before that I'd seen PZ's ad in the Weekly and figured he must've gotten a raise to be paying for advertising!
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to Altivec Send a message via MSN to Altivec Send a message via Yahoo to Altivec

I found out about Hawaii Threads by punching up a search for "Hawaii Forums." And I got 2 solid matches, one of which is here. Much to my surprise, one of my very own relatives is a frequent poster here (I'll let you guess at who this person is).

Unlike the other search match for forums in Hawaii, I find that the majority of the posters here are very informative and friendly. Plus I find the moderators very professional in their approach to moderation.

Last edited by Altivec; April 24th, 2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Adding additional thoughts.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ali`i

All I can say is none of my relatives wouldn't be ashame to say they are my relatives or else I would give them Whacks Whacks!

Auntie Alyn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.