Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
At least we live in a free country where we can have situations to discuss and the ability to discuss them.
I don't know. I'm leaning toward an independent Hawaiian Sovereign Republic. Like the Philippines, you don't have to be a member-state of the USA to practice democracy.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Well I guess the idea I had that Walgreens would open a "few" stores to test market Hawaii is dead wrong. Seems they now want to take over and become the new drug store monopoly on the islands:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/706220379

Also with the lack of parking space at the former Tower Records location, NOT making that store a drive-thru in my opinion is a major mistake on their part.

Aj
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
Well I guess the idea I had that Walgreens would open a "few" stores to test market Hawaii is dead wrong. Seems they now want to take over and become the new drug store monopoly on the islands:
That's not what the article says. It says that wherever there's a Longs, Walgreens wants to put up a store. Not to become a monopoly, but to wrest some of the Longs market share from the venerable institution. I love Longs (don't get me started again about the green smocks), but no way does it deserve 73% of the market share. Walgreens just wants to take some of it away. This is probably going to be good for shoppers in general, 'though I can certainly think of a few drawbacks.
Quote:
Also with the lack of parking space at the former Tower Records location, NOT making that store a drive-thru in my opinion is a major mistake on their part.
I disagree. The KFC on that corner is always full of people; yet, the parking lot is seldom half-full. It's all walk-up traffic, and I think Walgreens will get a ton. Tower had the worst parking in the world for the longest time (four parking spaces before they opened Tower Video!) and it did great business.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM

Since I live close by in the area of the former Tower Records and soon to be Walgreens', I have to agree with the assessment that they will get a lot of walk-in traffic. Ala Moana Center is across the street at Kapiolani, the new Nordstroms is coming up, KFC is busy, WalMart and the shops outside are always busy and they get both walk-ins and drivers; plus all the little Korean restaurants and small businesses on the Diamond Head side of Keeaumoku seem to be busy.... walk-ins too.... plus Ross and LikeLike Drive-In... I think Walgreens got a winner of a location. That stretch from Rycroft St. to Ala Moana is quite a shopping destination today.

BTW, the Tower Records signage were recently removed from the building though you can still see the ghostly imprint of the former sign on the wall facing Keeaumoku St.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
BTW, the Tower Records signage were recently removed from the building though you can still see the ghostly imprint of the former sign on the wall facing Keeaumoku St.
Like my fading memories of those youthful days (and dollars) spent in that wonderful store.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Ali`i

If Walgreens opens up the 40 stores it seeks, it will then have the largest number of drug stores in the state of Hawaii as Longs currently has 36 stores statewide. I am not against Walgreens at all, heck I grew up with Walgreens, I just think this aggressive approach is a bit too aggressive. Can you folks even forsee the land space involved in opening up these new stores? Many seem to complain about Walmart being aggressive and taking up so much land, but is there no fight towards Walgreens because we don't have one yet?

As for the Walgreens location at the former Tower Records, I never could find a parking space there, having a drive-thru would make it better, I mean wouldnt ito be nice to order your CD's and pick them up at the drive thru if you couldnt find a parking spot ever? As for the obvious potential walk-in traffic, that proves my point about the lack of parking space if your mostly relying on walk-in traffic.

Right now when you drive by the former Tower Records sight at night the only thing lit up is the KFC as all of the Nordstrom construction (an eyesore for the time being) makes part of that block have a deserted feel to it.

I do know in 6 months time or whatever it will look fantastic with Walgreens opening and the lights being put onto the buildings at Nordstrom.

Walgreens approach to building stores next to their competition is the same approach Home Depot and now in construction Lowes has taken in Iwilei towards City Mill.

Aj
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

Longs' is slowly expanding out with smaller neighborhood type of stores:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/21/business/engle.html

So far the Walgreens I know of are opening in places which were occupied by other businesses:

Honolulu - old Tower Records location
Salt Lake - old Costco location
Kaneohe - old Star Market location

There are a lot of condos in the Keeaumoku area and residents who live closeby often walk to the places near their dwellings. I walk all the time to the store formerly known as Daiei, walk sometimes to WalMart (if I just need to exercise and walk in a nice lighted place or am not buying too much stuff), Ala Moana Center.

I used to walk a lot to Tower Records to buy music... I must have spent about $20,000 there from all the CDs, LPs and 45s I own since the early 1980s to last year. I never lived nearby all those years. When I did not, and knew that parking was always an issue, you know what I did? Park at Ala Moana Shopping Center and walk over to Tower. I am sure a lot of people do that. Now you can also park at WalMart and do the same. Of course it is not ethical, but i think if you go into those place first and then go across the street and not stay for too long, nobody cares.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ali`i

I thought TARGET is moving into the old Costco location unless you mean BOTH Walgreens and Target are coming into the area.

I used to live in your area Mel and enjoyed being able to walk conveniently to many of those locations.

That is a good idea about parking in one place and shopping in another. I don't think anybody really notices that unless it's at a place where they might have time limits on parking at restaurants and such.

Aj
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I thought TARGET is moving into the old Costco location unless you mean BOTH Walgreens and Target are coming into the area.

I used to live in your area Mel and enjoyed being able to walk conveniently to many of those locations.

That is a good idea about parking in one place and shopping in another. I don't think anybody really notices that unless it's at a place where they might have time limits on parking at restaurants and such.

Aj
Don't forget, Nordstrom should add a few more parking spaces right across the street. And then, if the rail ever gets built, there will be a station on Kona St too. So that location is actually pretty happening even if hampered by lack of parking space.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Ali`i

Competition is good, and if Walgreens has exactly what I need at a lower price, then I'll be doing business with Walgreens. I am to be a good steward with my hard-earned money and I will continue to be, with whatever is offered me.

I remember running into folks here that lamented Walmart first coming. It hasn't ruined lives and has proliferated and the parking lots prove that most people luv it, cuz we are forced to stretch every dollar here, as much as possible, while we are forced to pay more and more just to live here.
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM

OK.. yes, I think Target is moving into the old Costco. Getting my stores mixed up. Sorry.
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I love Longs (don't get me started again about the green smocks), but no way does it deserve 73% of the market share. Walgreens just wants to take some of it away.
Couldn't we say the same about go! airlines? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for competition, but the way they say they'll co-locate with Longs every place they can just seems so mainland business ethics (hostile).
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Couldn't we say the same about go! airlines? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for competition, but the way they say they'll co-locate with Longs every place they can just seems so mainland business ethics (hostile).
We could. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Longs has had control for just too long. When I was growing up, there was a Pay 'N Save or a Payless in just about every neighborhood, too, and they were pretty good. I grew up in Waipahu, which didn't get its first Longs store until I was already in college. Then, when I was in college (it was an eight-year run; a lot happened when I was in college), the national Payless chain moved in and gave it a fair go. It lasted not very long, and Longs took over a bunch of the operating Payless stores and shut the rest down.

Burger King used to (and possibly still does) try to make sure it had a restaurant whevere McDonald's had one; that's still true on Beretania, in Waipahu, and in a few other places. That's competition, not hostility. And that's good for the consumer, in a way.

When Aloha and Hawaiian decided they were going to sync their flight schedules so that they wouldn't be competing directly against one another for passengers at the same times, THEY were the ones being hostile -- to us!
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
...so mainland business ethics (hostile).
Love the assumption that hostile business ethics is exclusive to Mainland companies, and is totally foreign to Island businesses...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
When Aloha and Hawaiian decided they were going to sync their flight schedules so that they wouldn't be competing directly against one another for passengers at the same times, THEY were the ones being hostile -- to us!
...and perhaps this shows that the afore-mentioned assumption is a wee bit inaccurate?
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Ali`i

Does anyone have any insight to the pay scale and benefits at Walgreens compared to Longs? If they are on par with one another, does it really matter if Longs loses a few stores or even fold? Walgreens entry will require hiring of people so that's providing jobs, is that not good? I haven't heard anything about Walgreens being a bad employer. The only thing Walgreens shares with Walmart is just the first three letters. So what's the hoopla about?
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM

Sign of the times....

A few days ago, this Walgreens' sign was slapped in front of the old Tower Records ghost on Keeaumoku St.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Love the assumption that hostile business ethics is exclusive to Mainland companies, and is totally foreign to Island businesses...
...and perhaps this shows that the afore-mentioned assumption is a wee bit inaccurate?
No, it's not exclusive. But it IS the exception to the norm for a locally-owned business.

Not like you would know, sitting in front of a computer screen thousands of miles away.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Sign of the times....

A few days ago, this Walgreens' sign was slapped in front of the old Tower Records ghost on Keeaumoku St.

Was that blue ALWAYS been there?!?!?
Last time I saw ol Tower Records was ummmmmmm Tannish/Grey lookin
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe View Post
No, it's not exclusive. But it IS the exception to the norm for a locally-owned business.
That's a good way of putting it. An aggressive local-style might be to advertise low prices, or to say things about "the other guys". But to come out and say we're after your beloved store...

Time will tell. I don't think that was a fatal move, but if they keep that up they may find people less willing to shop there.

As for the parallels with Wal-Mart, I don't see any. Wal-Mart advertises low prices. They don't bash anyone.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Keiki

Well, the question is, what exactly is going on. All I can find out is that Walgreens is going to pick up the lease, but what is the lease? Just the land or are they leasing the buildings? That's going to limit what they can do.[/quote]

Walgreens always leases the land they build their stores on. The reason behind this is because they demolish the building on the land, and build the new store from the ground up. If the store does not meet quota, they can always sell the land and not end up stuck with a store that is not profitable, i.e. Walmart. From day 1 to the finished product, it takes approximately 90 days for a store to open. Once you see the concrete foundation, prepare to see the open doors in 90 days.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
only 1550 or so of the 5500 stores nationwide are 24-hour operations. the one next to ala moana probably will be so that it can optimize the heavy traffic that flows through the area. does anyone know if they will be redoing the structure of the building to make it look more like a prototypical walgreens (entrance on one corner, with the Rx opposite the entrance) or will they just move in as it is?
Why Walgreens will put Longs out of business and thrive in Hawaii:

1. They will stay open 24x7 because Longs can't afford it, and they can.
2. They can afford to lowball prices on all items because their income is not based solely on how much they bring in from revenue in just Hawaii.
3. They offer convenient services such as prescription transfers over the phone, Pharmacist consultations, Prescription Flavorings, Automatic Refills, Drive thru Pharmacies, and great customer service.
4. Walgreens will provide more jobs, at better pay than Longs.
5. Walgreens accepts all major insurance plans, and can also run an automated plan to find out which prescription coverage plan is best for your needs free of charge.

Honestly, I don't think Longs will be able to compete with Walgreens. Wal-Mart will stay because they can afford to, but eventually Walgreens will take over. Contrary to popular belief, Walgreens does have good customer service, and if you encounter someone who doesn't provide it, just tell the manager, they are trained to take care of situations like that.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftedThunder View Post
Walgreens always leases the land they build their stores on. The reason behind this is because they demolish the building on the land, and build the new store from the ground up. If the store does not meet quota, they can always sell the land and not end up stuck with a store that is not profitable, i.e. Walmart. From day 1 to the finished product, it takes approximately 90 days for a store to open. Once you see the concrete foundation, prepare to see the open doors in 90 days.

Sorry but you lost me back there. Walgreens always leases the land yet if a store does not meet quota, they sell the land which they don't own? Or do you mean prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store?
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Ali`i

They are obviously going to tear down Kam Bowl, but does anyone know if they are going to use the existing Tower Records building structore as the new Walgreens? Would be much faster if they did it that way.

Aj
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Sorry but you lost me back there. Walgreens always leases the land yet if a store does not meet quota, they sell the land which they don't own? Or do you mean prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store?
They prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Keiki

Quote:
They are obviously going to tear down Kam Bowl, but does anyone know if they are going to use the existing Tower Records building structore as the new Walgreens? Would be much faster if they did it that way.

Aj
They will always raze the building that is on the land they take. Every walgreens is built as a new building unless it is purchased as part of a giant superstructure, I.E. a mall, downtown building etc. I don't think that 90 days is a long time to wait for a store to open.