Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Workshop
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 29th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Model rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtek
synopsis: when using bigger engines use more wadding? i had 4 sheets in there.
How much wadding to use is dependent on the width of the body tube. For the Estes BT-50 tube is 3 sheets, BT-55 is 4 or 5 sheets, BT-60 is 6 sheets and BT-80 is 13 sheets.
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Kia`aina

I notice if I use 3 sheets on a A8-3 the shock cord is fine. With a C6-7 it burns the shock cord on 3 sheets. so I increased it to 5 sheets packed tight and no burn, this is on the Estes Bandit HBT-1090 (slightly larger than a BT-55)

I remember when wadding looked like cotton balls. I even tried cotton balls soaked in some solution, It was no solution, it was FLAMING BALLS at Kapiolani Park.

When did they restrict rocket Launching at Kapiolani Park? I remember back in the early 70's the soccer guys use to complain about us. But then we told the director of parks at the time that they use up the all the space everywhere from dawn to dusk. He agreed and told them to "stuff it". We were only there from 7:30am till noon.

So is there a club left on Oahu?

Last edited by speedtek; November 29th, 2005 at 02:53 AM.
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I notice if I use 3 sheets on a A8-3 the shock cord is fine. With a C6-7 it burns the shock cord on 3 sheets. so I increased it to 5 sheets packed tight and no burn, this is on the Estes Bandit HBT-1090 (slightly larger than a BT-55)

I remember when wadding looked like cotton balls. I even tried cotton balls soaked in some solution, It was no solution, it was FLAMING BALLS at Kapiolani Park.
Centuri used treated cotton balls, Estes still uses treated toilet paper. Quest in the past used pre-cut sheets I don't know about now.

Quote:
When did they restrict rocket Launching at Kapiolani Park? I remember back in the early 70's the soccer guys use to complain about us. But then we told the director of parks at the time that they use up the all the space everywhere from dawn to dusk. He agreed and told them to "stuff it". We were only there from 7:30am till noon.
Oh about 1999 or so. I know around that time they stop issuing permits but they never changed the signs. Does it say now that model rocketry is not permitted at the park?

Quote:
So is there a club left on Oahu?
Sort of. It's called Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii. Been inactive for the last year and half. Had a launch a couple of weeks ago and the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Kia`aina

Only on the web site it lists places you can launch.

Kaimuki is also on the list but when I went there, there was a sign posted that said NO Rocket Launching or Model Airplanes, but funny it is just stickers put on crooked. someone told me one of the politicians live around there and he did it himself. I asked my friend who works at the Dept of P & R and he said they have no changes on that park. But you know how it is. If it is on the sign the Police don't care.

Of course you can lauch on any LARGE property with permission and not violating any FAA NO or LOW fly zones.

SYNOPSIS:

CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU
DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION

MODEL ROCKET LAUNCHING AREAS:

DISTRICT I - Hawaii Kai to Manoa/McCully/Waikiki
District 1 Office - 2015 Kapiolani Boulevard - 973-7250
1. Sandy Beach Park - 8800 Kalanianaole Hwy. - 395-2211

DISTRICT II - Makiki to Aiea
District 2 Office - 1527 Keeaumoku Street - 522-7070
1. Booth District Park - 2341 Kanealii Avenue - 522-7040
2. Halawa District Park - 99-795 Iwaiwa Street - 483-7852
3. Kamehameha Community Park - 1400 Kalihi Street - 832-7819

DISTRICT III - Pearl City to Waianae to Wahiawa
District 3 Office - 94-230 Paiwa Street - 675-7130
1. Neal S. Blaisdell Beach Park - 98-319 Kamehameha Highway
2. Waipahu District Park - 94-230 Paiwa Street - 677-4733

DISTRICT IV - Mokuleia to Makapuu
District 4 Office - 45-660 Keaahala Road - 233-7300
1. Maunawili Neighborhood Park - 1489 Ulupii Street - 259-8926
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Kanaka

Quote:
I was the biggest guy there. always carried my rockets in grocery bags and a large craftsman tool box. My rockets were the ugliest for the group. hehehe. I made a lot of home mades which were always going everywhere.
Wait, didn't we ALL carry our stuff in grocery bags? I also used a tackle box for the small stuff. Spent most of my allowance through Estes during that time. Biggest guy? Only image that comes to mind right now is the Bishops. As I recall the only guy that would make F engine flights on a regular basis.
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
Wait, didn't we ALL carry our stuff in grocery bags? I also used a tackle box for the small stuff. Spent most of my allowance through Estes during that time. Biggest guy? Only image that comes to mind right now is the Bishops. As I recall the only guy that would make F engine flights on a regular basis.
nope I was a A8-3 and C6-7 and D12-7 Fiend, nothing in between. Since I was using grocery bag storage method, I always had broken parts at the launches so I would spend time fixing them with my 1 minute epoxy. (no super glue invented yet!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
One of things that I do as a hobby is build and fly model rockets. I will admit by building skills is not as good as my flying skill but my rockets do fly safely. It's been a long while since I have flown but I do have photos of some of the launches at the HawaiiStories Gallery. As well as some photos taken from the vantage point of a model rocket in flight.
That brings back memories for me. All this talk about Estes but we also flew Centuri rockets. We used to buy rockets from a vendor at the Kam Drive-In Swap Meet during the early 70s. I even took a science course in high school at Aiea High School called "Rocketry". Anyone flew 1/2 A .049 Cox gas engine control line airplanes? We used to fly them at Blaisdell Park aka Pearl Harbor Park.

Last edited by na alii; December 2nd, 2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Ali`i

I replied to your question about flying model airplanes in this thread. If anyone wants to bring up old memories or new experiences about the other model related hobbies like cars, boats or even the static plastic models I would suggest creating another thread in The Workshop forum.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Kia`aina

I will be turning Halawa park into Cape Canavaral on Sunday 12/4 @ Noon (IF IT DOESN'T RAIN! uh HARD... aka scrub). Back parking lot. bringing my boring rockets, not the fun ones.

see you there.
pray for little wind.
BYOR
Old December 10th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Kia`aina

Well we lost 2 rockets being stupid by changing the angle after a few hours of successful recoveries. Then the rain came down. (they went into the trees)

I guess we will be there this Sunday the 11th again but at 11am. We got some "D" engine rockets ready so we will try that. We recovered 4 C engine launches there and lost 1 because the rocket went sideways! (ala missle!) It was a 30 year old engine it took off then stopped then went again! how weird.

So who do we contact for the rocket club?

TOO BAD CRAIG YOURE NOT HERE......
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:

Wasn't there a waddingless baffle-system? I think it was something whereas the ejection charge would go through a series of baffles with holes in them... I don't know how it could dissipate heat fast enough not to melt the parachute though.

I guess it wasn't such a great idea since this was in the 70's and you all are still talking about wadding 30 years later.
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Centuri had the baffle system, but it only worked if the rocket body tube was a BT-60 or wider which was at least 1.6 inches in diameter. I don't know why Estes didn't pick up on the idea. Maybe they figured that the sales of wadding would decrease.
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Sort of. It's called Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii. Been inactive for the last year and half. Had a launch a couple of weeks ago and the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.
I think I'll check this out.
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
the next one is scheduled for Saturday December 17, 2005 at Windward Community College from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. There is a field next to the WCC main admin building.
My mistake on the starting time, it starts at 2:30 pm not 3:30 pm.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Kia`aina

Yesterday was fun. We got there at 1pm. Sun right in our faces. Shot some small rockets to judge the wind. I still can't figure out why those mini engines fly so high! An A3-4 went higher than our light A8-3 rockets. We also shot off a "D" engine and recovered it, but the chute failed (which was a good thing or we would have lost it!) and a fin broke away. landed 50' before the fence. I am going to have to cut out the spill hole next time around. We also shot a SR-71 Estes kit. looked so slow going up on a B6-4, recovery was good. But really I am starting to like those plastic fin estes kits. I guess I like it because if you lose them there is not so much pain thinking about how much time you spent building them. I have some other vintage rockets but I am afraid of losing them so on the shelf they stay.

Here is a pic of our SR-71 on the pad.

Last edited by speedtek; December 12th, 2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Ali`i

Power to weight ratio is probably higher on the A engines. Remember the bottle rockets shot out of the pipe as "ahem" Kevin rode shotgun in your bug one New year's day cruzing Kahala?
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Kanaka

Nice picture. Sure brings back memories. I could not see any wires, what kinda ignition setup do you use?
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Ali`i

From the picture the person is holding a small black box which looks like the current Estes launch controllers and they also use thinner gauge wire, maybe 22 gauge, so it doesn't show in the photograph very well.

I am kind of wondering what that orange thing is by the person left elbow?
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Kia`aina

The orange thing is a streamer that is attached to the launch rod protector/key. It tells us which way/how strong the wind is blowing when it is on the L rod. It is old school compared to the wind sock. Plus it alerts people something is there. Yes the controller is the one with the thin wires.

Are we free to launch at the meeting on saturday? or just bring our own equipment? or is it closed to us Re-Newbies/BARS/REBARS/FUBARS?
I can't wait to watch others launch thier rockets.
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Ali`i

The launch is free, bringing your own launch pad and controller is optional.
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
From the picture the person is holding a small black box which looks like the current Estes launch controllers and they also use thinner gauge wire, maybe 22 gauge, so it doesn't show in the photograph very well.
Thanks Helen. My point of reference is 1970's technology.

Hey Speed, remember the launch console used at Honorocs events? It could control 7+ launch points on that converted saw horse like launch pad and had a vehicle-like safety key Mike Okuda or Mike Lim would always carry the key around their necks.
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Kia`aina

yes I remember that.....

the problem with the sawhorse is that it was setup only to go straight up, no angles so into the ocean many of the high flyers went. I wish they had LEDs back then for night launches.....heavy batteries didn't cut it. I remember everyone who launched on that horse with a Cameroc all lost it and it broke!
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
My mistake on the starting time, it starts at 2:30 pm not 3:30 pm.
Is anyone else going? That field at WCC looks awfully small. I would think the district park right down the road would be a better place.

I'll check it out for a little bit... then Broncos/Bills game at 3:30.

Anyone know of any plans available for a rocket propelled RC glider/plane? Whereas it would be rocketed to altitude and radio controlled back? I still have my RC plane stuff and thought that that would be a cool project.
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Kia`aina

Launching at WCC was fun. It is challanging because the wind changes direction all the time. Lost one. Rocket meets are good because you get to see a lot of different things and pick up a few pointers. There was a bonus yesterday watching HFD get a expensive Video rocket out of the tree!
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Ali`i

1) Estes has been selling one or two kinds of R/C rocket gliders for the last ten years and about two or three weeks ago I noticed that Hobby Company at Pearlridge Shopping Center had one box available for sale.

2) One of the club members works for Windward Community College and was able to get permission to use that field every 3rd Saturday of the month from 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm. Granted it's not the biggest field on the island but it is suitable for 1/2A to C engines and low atltitude D or E engine flights.