Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Workshop
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Model rocketry

Halawa report for 12/18/05:

Conditions were very windy and overcast. Time was 12:30. Launched a few rockets on streamer recovery only and were able to recover them ok. We did lose one because it the wadding was packed too tight and don't know where it went. It is some lawn dart stuck somewhere.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Ali`i

Default Sat. WCC launch

So who was who out there? I came for a little bit and watched from the table area under the banyan tree up top. I recognized the black star-trekky looking rocket from the pics in this thread. It was pretty cool to watch and it rekindled some great memories.

The Estes site has some good reads regarding rocket boosted glider design. Searching around I found another interesting read with pics and videos:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1391735
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Ali`i

I didn't show up until the 3:30-3:45 pm time frame. Did get to meet speedtek.
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Kia`aina

I went home and built some UFOs as one of the guys had suggested. I made these so they can fly 18 and 24mm motors and can be staged. Great for windy days!

I also made templates if anyone wants one.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Kanaka

I would guess that the arrows denote possible flight paths.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Kia`aina

amazingly saucers fly very straight. not fast due to the resistance (lack of aerodynamics going straight up) and when they come down.... bowl side up and basically straight down.

I hope someone has some inexpensive D12-0 engines that I could buy or trade? (don't like the retail price! I am cheap OK?)
Old December 25th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Kia`aina

Default ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Helen could you please post the rules for the 1/4A rocket contest? and when it will be. Thank you.
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Sunday January 1st Rocket Launch

We will be at Halawa Park launching some rockets at 11:00am to 1:30pm. Backside parking lot. New Years Day '06. If anyone is interested stop by.
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Sunday January 1st Rocket Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtek
We will be at Halawa Park launching some rockets at 11:00am to 1:30pm. Backside parking lot. New Years Day '06. If anyone is interested stop by.
Cancelled due to the rain.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtek
Helen could you please post the rules for the 1/4A rocket contest? and when it will be. Thank you.
Here it is. It's from the December 2005 newsletter:

Quote:
On the 21st of January 2006, the Sky Performance Rocket Club of Hawaii invites you to come out and fly with us at Windward Community College at 2:30 pm (weather permitting).

On this day we will have a friendly contest. It will be an altitude event utilizing the 1/4A3-3T engines. The highest flight wins. The motor has to be recovered either with the vehicle or separately. The vehicle must be returned to the judge without damage along with the motor for inspection and judging. The vehicle must not be caught or cushioned before touchdown.

Now keep in mind that a 3 second delay is a very long time to coast to apogee for a 1/4A3 motor.

Build light, build sleek and keep thinking slippery smooth flights.

Motors and igniters shall be supplied. Prizes shall be awarded. Letís have some fun. If the meet gets rained out, we will postpone the contest until the following month.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Re: ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
The highest flight wins. The motor has to be recovered either with the vehicle or separately.
Interesting. How do you determine height? I mean, if you're eyeballing, I guess it'll come down to a judge? I'd think in a pack of rockets, more than a few different ones would still basically top out at the same altitude.

And the whole part about things having to be recovered? Sounds like folks in the area better have umbrellas!
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Ali`i

There are various methods to determine the altitude of a model rocket, some of them involve visually tracking the flight. This link will take you to a PDF of a report that was written in the 1960's that explains the theory. As far as what you need to do this is a device that can measure angles, a tape measure, means to communicate between the launch pad and the tracking station and a calculator that has the needed trig functions (tangent, sine and cosine).

You use the tape measure to measure the distance between the launch pad and the tracking station, this will be the baseline. The device that measures the angle is at the tracking station. When the rocket is at the launch pad you set the angle measuring device at zero. When the rocket is launched you follow the flight with the angle measuring device and at the highest point in the flight you lock in the angle. Once you know the angle you can use this formula to determine the altitude:

altitude = baseline * tangent(angle)

(note: the * means multiply) As an example if your baseline is 60 feet and you measured an angle of 50 degrees, it will be:

altitude = 60 * tangent(50)
altitude = 60 * 1.192
altitude = 71.52 feet (or you could round it to 72 feet).
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ali`i

Update about the contest from the Jan. 2006 newsletter.

Quote:
To anybody that wants to enter this contest, please come out and participate even if you arenít a member.

The contest is on Saturday, January 21, 2006, starts at 2:30 pm and will run to about 3:30 pm.

This is not a NAR sanctioned event. No NAR contest points will be awarded.

It will be an altitude event utilizing the 1/4A3-3T engines. The highest flight wins. The vehicle must be returned to the judge without damage along with the motor for inspection and judging. The vehicle must not be caught or cushioned before touchdown.

First motor is free (which will be a 1/4A3-3T). Any flight after that is up to you. However the motor has to be inspected before the flight.

The inspected motor and the rocket need to be returned to the contest coordinator for inspection after each flight for the flight to be valid.

No entry shall eject the motor in flight in such a manner that the spent motor casing falls freely apart from the model.

If the contestantís rocket cannot be seen from the tracking station while on the launch pad, it may be substituted for another rocket.

Tips for the contest:
Visibility of a small rocket during flight is very difficult. A longer or wider rocket may have an advantage in being seen, as opposed to a small rocket that may go higher but canít be seen.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Kia`aina

YEAH! my kid is ready! cant wait.....rain go away. Now I gotta make one.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Model rocket Club

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Thank you. How about a Rocket Drag Race next time using B6-4 motors? I can donate the motors. B6-4 or C6-5.

Would it be a format where it would have to take off and reach the ground
in the least amount of time? or Highest wins but recovery a must?

I think I will start making a Digital Altitrack..... been wanting to do it for years
but never had a reason!
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
1) Estes has been selling one or two kinds of R/C rocket gliders for the last ten years and about two or three weeks ago I noticed that Hobby Company at Pearlridge Shopping Center had one box available for sale.
Been thinking about getting back into the game with my son. I downloaded the Estes catalog and have been reviewing the current models for a few days now. Bessides the Hobby Company, what other vendors do you all buy from locally?

Last edited by Pretender; February 5th, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Ali`i

Hobbietat on 1413 10th Avenue, Weller's Hobbycraft at 767 Kailua Rd (I never been there but one of the people I fly with has been there a few times, I don't know about latey) and Hobby Korner at 1700 South King Street (I stopped there yesterday, they don't have much in the way of rockets but they have only been around for 4 months).
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Hobbietat on 1413 10th Avenue, Weller's Hobbycraft at 767 Kailua Rd (I never been there but one of the people I fly with has been there a few times, I don't know about latey) and Hobby Korner at 1700 South King Street (I stopped there yesterday, they don't have much in the way of rockets but they have only been around for 4 months).
Thanks for the info!
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Kia`aina

I have a bunch of stuff for sale, A lot of the stuff is great for getting back into launching. Also we launch every Sunday at 12:00pm at Halawa Park. We have been getting a few people come out and let the neighborhood kids launch also. (send me a PM if interested)

Also the rocket club meets every 3rd Saturday at Windward Community College. (plug for Helen)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Ali`i

Hoi, Helen. Was just wondering. As an organized club/activity, is it possible to get permission to use some space for rocket launches on military installations like Schofield or Wheeler? They have lots of open fields and parade grounds, many of which are not used on weekends. Just gotta watch out for the low flying helicopters. I know there are lots of military families always looking for family activities. Why not introduce rocketry? Just a thought.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Kia`aina

This rain really puts a damper on this hobby. The only good thing is you can catch up on rebuilding the fleet. 2 weeks of no launching is getting extremely boring.
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Ali`i

March has been a strange month this year, normally this time of the year we would get winds over 15 mph but instead we got a lot of rain and no wind.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Ali`i

Yeah! Haven't been able to get out at all between being sick and the weather. My daughter is thinking about something different to get into, now. Probably hula lessons.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:06 AM
Kia`aina

HOPEFULLY WE CAN GO TO HALAWA 4/2/06 at 12 NOON to do some launching. 3 week ends since we went last because of the rain. you might say that we are all "trigger happy" right now!
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Haumana

I made a model rocket for physics in highschool. my neighbor at the time was into rockets as well and gave me the biggest baddest rocket he had...I forgot what it was, but it was mighty long. We launched it at Kapiolani park, the trades were in full crank. The launch pads were angled pretty extreme to combat the force of the winds. I cut holes in my chute to make sure it lands nearby. well...it was my turn up...got the rocket mounted and the straw thingy broke off the body. I quick fixed it with some scotch tape and on we go again. 3 - 2 - 1, GO...the trades helped it shoot straight up, then the chute came out. The trades up there were STRONG and started to carry the rocket out to sea. I started running after it...hoping it will just land already, as I closed into the shoreline...no hope to be found and it was gone. SUCKS!! well...at least I had best of show, if that's of any worth.