Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 10th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

I re-watched parts of it tonight. Yeah the train whistle was at around start of the con where Sawyer was marking the jewelry.

Also noticed that when Sayid and Hurley was listening to the radio at the end of the episode there was the call letters of WXO. Is that a hint to satellite radio or something from the World War II era (giving what music was being played)?
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
I re-watched parts of it tonight. Yeah the train whistle was at around start of the con where Sawyer was marking the jewelry.

Also noticed that when Sayid and Hurley was listening to the radio at the end of the episode there was the call letters of WXO. Is that a hint to satellite radio or something from the World War II era (giving what music was being played)?
I'm not sure when the government started going to 4 letter call signs, but it was quite some time ago. Many 3 letter stations are still around though. WRC in Washington, DC and WOR in New York are two that immediately come to mind. And of course, generally speaking, "W" call signs are east of the Mississippi River and "K" call signs are west. What this means in terms of the "Lost" mythology is anyone's guess! The producers have repeatedly hinted that even the most trivial seeming details "could" have serious plot implications at some point in the story.
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to maximumradio

Some of this is off topic but actually when one goes further west there is at least one "W" call sign -WVUV-Leone, American Samoa- Sadly WRC, Washington is now WWRC. The station at 930 in Los Angeles was the original KHJ and when sold became KKHJ. The new licensee petitioned the Commission to return the call signs KHJ to the station because in Spanish-the format of the station-the double K when spoken is slang for # 2. The call signs KKHJ ended up in American Samoa as the FM sister to WVUV.
Could there be a wormhole on the Island so that radio signals from the past are coming through and people such as "The Others" can come and go at will?
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

When Sayid said the radio transmission could be coming from anywhere, Hurley said: "...or any time. Just kidding, dude." To me, it sounded more like a specific jab at over-imaginative fans who've obsessed about the timeline since the show began. He's delivered many such "insider" lines this season.

Then again, folks are saying the call letters were WXR, which were the call leters used for Coast Guard Radio in Kodiak, Alaska, in 1945. Oooeeeooo!

I never noticed the dove calls, nor the train whistle. (I wonder if the latter was from the Waialua train that they decided to leave in, or added in specifically to be a non-Hawaii sound?) And I completely missed the sound of the plane in the Charlie "the baby's in danger" dream sequence in the previous new episode (apparently if you had HDTV, you actually see the Beechcraft drug plane crash into the forest in the background). I've gotten so comfortable watching TV with Closed Captioning, I've stopped being so sensitive to audio clues!
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Kia`aina

I was just about to go listen to The Transmission for the newest ep when I remembered it was over...
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumradio
Some of this is off topic but actually when one goes further west there is at least one "W" call sign -WVUV-Leone, American Samoa- Sadly WRC, Washington is now WWRC. The station at 930 in Los Angeles was the original KHJ and when sold became KKHJ. The new licensee petitioned the Commission to return the call signs KHJ to the station because in Spanish-the format of the station-the double K when spoken is slang for # 2. The call signs KKHJ ended up in American Samoa as the FM sister to WVUV.
Could there be a wormhole on the Island so that radio signals from the past are coming through and people such as "The Others" can come and go at will?
I wasn't aware of the call sign change for WRC radio. It wasn't a station that I ever listened to when I lived there. I was more into "DC-101" (WWDC). The TV station, however, is still WRC. But as you said, we're getting off-topic
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Ali`i

One thing I couldn't figure out is why Ana Lucia got confused over the Scott/Steve name mix-up. Scott died at least a couple of weeks, before she showed up.
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
One thing I couldn't figure out is why Ana Lucia got confused over the Scott/Steve name mix-up. Scott died at least a couple of weeks, before she showed up.
Mostly, to be funny. The Scott/Steve is one of many running gags. Then again, if the whole "fusies" camp remains confused over those names, it seems reasonable that Ana Lucia would get it wrong, also.

In other news, looks like "Lost" was filming at Murphy's at the top of Merchant Street this morning.
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

Ah. They've moved down Merchant to Alakea. The old City Bank location, I think... now the Southland Savings Bank.

It's a Locke flashback!
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Kia`aina

Heeeey, did you guys ever see that thing on the counter for the bunker and what happened with it during the preview?

Some people are saying it's possibly an evil trick...

Lost -- One of Them: Less than zero?

Thanks to Oli_Salmon for pointing this out:

In the "LOST -- One of Them" promo (airing 2/15) we are once again teased with the counter reaching zero. However, this is not the same counter as the one in the hatch. Observe:

http://www.thetailsection.com/uploa...11nq-703345.jpg

Counter from "LOST -- One of them", notice the spaces between the digits.

http://www.thetailsection.com/uploa...nter-779751.jpg

Counter from "LOST -- The Long Con". Different sized tiles, and no spaces between individual digits.

Is this a clever misdirection? Perhaps it is a prop from Sayid's flashback? Something to do with his interrogation?

...or a really sick continuity error.
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to Kilinahe Send a message via MSN to Kilinahe Send a message via Yahoo to Kilinahe

None of those links are working, kupumog.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Ali`i

TheTailSection.com doesn't make it easy to link to individual items on the main blog. And I think kupomog was quoting a post from the forum, but of course the forum software truncates the image URLs in posts.
The original thread is here. The two countdown timer images are here (the timer we know) and here (the one from the preview for this week). Good catch.
The spoiler warning remains in effect, of course. Don't click if you don't want to know.
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Kia`aina

Poor coqui frog
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupomog
Poor coqui frog
that sure wasn't a coqui!!! Coqui's are much higher pitched and don't look like that...

Who the frick was that guy????

Anyone believe his story? He sure knew a lot about balloons...

Sayid seemed pretty confident he was an "other"

Good over all episode....

Anyone know where they shot the shots with what look like a dessert????
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupomog
Poor coqui frog
Oh, well, that's a fate lots of folks on the Big Island might approve of, no? (Are they just on the Big Island, or have they migrated to others by now?)
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
Oh, well, that's a fate lots of folks on the Big Island might approve of, no? (Are they just on the Big Island, or have they migrated to others by now?)
If it was a croqui!!! then us big island people would have laughed at the scene...

However, the Big Island people know that it didn't sound like one...

And by the way...anyone ever try frog legs??? Heard they taste like chicken
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Kia`aina

*shrug* looked like one to me in the short time I saw it. I was busy doing homework. My parents seem to be sure it was one, though. Same smell either way, I still feel bad for the frog, coqui or not.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Ali`i

The external Iraqi scenes sort of look like CGI.

Maybe he did crash on the island on a balloon, now did he crash 4 months ago or was he alone?

As far as the hatch's countdown timer, there seemed to a few seconds of grace period as the 5 windows try to display some symbols plus some kind of power up sounds in the background.

Anyone notice that one of the US Army soliders was Kate's dad? He was the one in the truck holding a picture of her.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Ali`i

Those symbols in the countdown timer looked like Egyptian hieroglyphics. Another Lost™ Mystery. Dun-dun-DUNN!!!
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Ali`i

There was a lot of CGI in that flashback. Some shots were very videogame-y. Most of it otherwise filmed at the Diamond Head lot. I liked that we saw Kate's dad, but would have preferred it stay subtle (as with Diane's appearance in Sawyer's flashback), without the forced focus on the photo and conversation about a wife and kids.

The symbols on the clock were definitely hieroglyphics. Folks have already started translating them, coming up with something referencing death. The countdown fake-out was a real frustration for some fans, though. Something better happen for real, next time.

The captured guy's balloon story gets extra sketchy when you recall Henry Gale was also the name of Dorothy's uncle in The Wizard of Oz (in which ballooning figures significantly). I say he's an Other (or a "Them," actually, if you believe the "two camp" theories), but some aren't convinced.
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ali`i

I am kind of wondering if Danielle herself is one of the "Others". It seems that the guy she captured she handed off to Sayid instead of she dealing with the guy herself.
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Kanaka

My husband and I have both decided that the guy is definitely an "other". After the clock wasn't renewed, there was a rumbling sound, like things were shifting. The camera then focused on the guy, and there was a distinct look of genuine fear; one not seen even when Sayid was torturing him. It was as if he knew what was happening.

I'm surprised they're actually letting the clock not get renewed this season. I would have thought they'd want to wait a while on it.
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to maximumradio

.....and I am sitting Thursday night dining in a Hometown Buffet Restaurant in El Monte, California an area largely populated by new arrivals from south of the border overhearing an older Spanish speaking woman at the next table explaining to the group at her table most who had just arrived from Mexico all about Lost and then getting into a debate over the show from the night before with the only other person at the table who was familiar with the show. One point that she made that I thought was significant is that this is the only English TV program she watches and has ever watched continuously. I imagine that when Lost is distributed worldwide in various languages it is going to be a smash hit everywhere it appears. (Yes-I am fluent in Spanish)
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Ali`i

For some reason the first season 2 hour pilot will be airing this week. Is the new episode next week Wednesday or some other week?
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Kia`aina

March 1 is the next ep, "Maternity Leave". Should be a gooooood one, too.