Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Haumana

Default Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

YAYY!!! I was so sad when i heard i had to work tonite and was going to miss lost! Glad it's a re-run....someone's lookin out for me

My theory: I think the "other's" are the scientist that were observing the original people in the "experiment".

I almost thought this thread was gone...thanks Glen for pointing me back in the right direction. Couldn't find it. I wish there was a "favorites" tab.

Don't you think that after Sayid was released he would have faced retalliation/punishment for what he did?? I would have thought the American's would give him immunity(?is that the right word?) and taken him with them to the states.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
Haumana

P.s. I think they keep re-airing the pilot because a lot of people try to watch it and "get into it" but are "lost" (sorry for the pun). I've tried numerous times to get my friends hooked on it so that i can talk to them about it....but no deals, so thank goodness for this =) Plus while we watch the show, they keep on asking me questions!!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwahine05
YAYY!!! I was so sad when i heard i had to work tonite and was going to miss lost! Glad it's a re-run....someone's lookin out for me
Glad you didn't miss anything... but just to be sure, remember that "Lost" airs on Wednesday nights... or last night. It was a rerun of the fantastic series pilot, but you definitely don't want to miss next week's new one.

Quote:
I almost thought this thread was gone...thanks Glen for pointing me back in the right direction. Couldn't find it. I wish there was a "favorites" tab.
You could always subscribe to this thread!

Quote:
Don't you think that after Sayid was released he would have faced retalliation/punishment for what he did?
Possibly. But perhaps the only person who'd know was the superior officer he tortured... who might very well not have survived. (Erm, though having a wad of U.S. money might tip someone off, too!) However, we know he put his new skills to work in subsequent years (which is how he came to fall for Nadia), so it seems his work for the U.S. was successfully kept secret.

Quote:
I think they keep re-airing the pilot because a lot of people try to watch it and "get into it" but are "lost" (sorry for the pun).
Have they re-aired the Pilot that many times? It's been a while, I thought. It was great to see it again, though, to see how it all started. Who wouldn't be hooked after that? I'm also constantly surprised just how many threads we've seen in the last two seasons can be tied to something hinted at in that pilot, despite the fact that it was produced in a rush and despite the assertion that the writers are making a lot of the stuff up as they go along.

As for folks who want to get into "Lost" but are intimidated about catching up... there is the Season 1 DVD, and I think the show is relatively entertaining even picking it up cold. But ABC does create "catch up" clip shows now and then, too. If you can, find someone who has the "LOST: Revelations" special from early January. And I'd bet there'll be another one preceding the start of Season 3.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Glad you didn't miss anything... but just to be sure, remember that "Lost" airs on Wednesday nights... or last night. It was a rerun of the fantastic series pilot, but you definitely don't want to miss next week's new one..

Totally got my days mixed up that week cause of President's Day. Thanks for all the info though. =)
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM
Kia`aina

Wow. That was kind of surreal. Especially all the stuff that happens with Claire and...you-know-who...in that room. Seeing him be so nice and stuff...freaky...almost as if he liked her.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM

Anyone know what Rosseau said about 5 minutes into the program shortly before the "Lost" graphic showed up? Our network audio feed was cut for a local civil defense flood alert signal.

This was an interesting episode in the fact we got to see mainly a flashback episode that only goes back to when someone was on the island, namely Claire. And now it is pretty much confirmed that Ethan is one of "the others" and with the Dharma Institute.

Of course like any other good "Lost" episode this one leaves us with a lot of questions.

Are "the others" just showing up like raggamuffins as only a disguise. They seem to be part of a grand scheme undertaken by the Dharma Institute, whoever they are.... hmmm. What is that fake beard used for? Was it a fake beard? What about the dingy looking clothes hanging up in the lockers?

I almost expected Walt to fall out of one of the lockers...

Rosseau's daughter looks like she is well taken care of, at least at the time of Claire's abduction.

I wonder if this now third hatch - facility thing is connected to the other 2? Seemed to have the same rumbling hum powering something. Where is the power coming from. Apparently there is adequate supply of power and water on the island. Just look for a switch, turn on the power... convenient.

BTW, on an unrelated note I don't think I have ever mentioned it, but the actress playing Danielle Rosseau (Mira Furlan) was a regular cast member of the Babylon 5 TV series in the 1990s. She played Delenn in that series.

Daniel Dae Kim was a regular on the very short lived Babylon 5 sequel series, Crusade that aired for 13 episodes in 1999. This is not mentioned on Kim's bio at the ABC Lost website. I am sure most people probably know this.

Just thought I'd pass this small bit of trivia on.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Fantastic episode. Gonna need some time to process it all. Now podcast-less, my wife (Kilinahe) and I blogged our initial thoughts here.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:27 AM

Yep, you brought up a lot of other questions I had in mind and also a few things I either missed or did not think about. Overall this was one of the best "Lost" episodes so far this season. I am happy to see Danielle back. Hopefully her character recurs more often.

The only bummer about reading your blog is to find out the next new episode airs on March 22.... so another 3 weeks of re-runs or pre-emptions... hmmm.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM
Ali`i

Oh bummer on the repeats. I didn't mind the text scrolling across warning about the weather situtation but having the audio dropped out I didn't like, however it might be something that KITV does. Well either some one from the mainland would fill in the missing audio or we get to hear it on a repeat.

As far as the episode itself, when I saw the previews I didn't know if the flashbacks would be either Libby who we never seen yet or Claire which didn't leave much story background before the crash but the Lost crew threw a fast one by doing the flashback on Claire's lost time when she was gone.

Kind of have to wonder what kind of drugs they gave Claire since she was so mellow.

Last edited by helen; March 2nd, 2006 at 04:49 AM. Reason: see --> hear, Lost --> lost
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:40 AM
Kia`aina

Gah, WHAT is with playing re-runs and stuff all the time? I need my Lost fixes, damn it *kicks something*

Ah well, I'm too lazy to do it myself so I'm waiting for some of my fanatic friends to find the connections between Lost and The Brothers Karamazov (that book Locke gave "Henry").
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Ali`i

Arrrgh! We had mainland guests who aren't hooked, so we didn't see it! Anybody have a copy that could be burned to DVD/VHS?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
Anyone know what Rosseau said about 5 minutes into the program shortly before the "Lost" graphic showed up? Our network audio feed was cut for a local civil defense flood alert signal.
Yeah, I was literally laughing out loud when that happened.
For those of you who aren't here in the islands: after a confrontation, one person said "What did she say?" and the reply was "She said BEEP BEEP BEEP..." with the flood warning signal cutting in over the answer. The timing was so absolutely perfect that at first I thought it was intentional.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ali`i

Spoiler

Mel said: Are "the others" just showing up like raggamuffins as only a disguise. They seem to be part of a grand scheme undertaken by the Dharma Institute, whoever they are.... hmmm. What is that fake beard used for? Was it a fake beard? What about the dingy looking clothes hanging up in the lockers?

Well, the clean-cut older guy who was talking to Ethan in the hall, outside the door to Claire's room? He's the same guy who was the scruffy bushy-haired Other a few episodes ago who faced off against Jack and Locke and Sawyer in the jungle at night. So yeah, the rags and beards are clearly disguises.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM

Thanks for filling me in on who the bearded guy could have been. Yep, definitely think those were disguises and the whole island is probably some kind of scientific experiment gone crazy.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui
Yeah, I was literally laughing out loud when that happened...... The timing was so absolutely perfect that at first I thought it was intentional.
It's funny now but when I was watching that portion it was kind of frustrating to miss whatever it was that she said. Oh well, better timing would have been during the commercials that aired moments later... guess you can't upset the $ponsor$.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Ali`i

A followup on Glen and Mel's spoiler

I remember that the starting cast credits had M.C. Gainey on for that episode. He was the one who played the bearded man in a couple of episodes. Didn't reconizge him as the guy who was talking to Ethan in the hall way since he was clean shaven in that scene.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:11 AM
Ali`i

I taped it so I could rewind it and hit the mute button which then displays the closed captioning, I think Claire said "something is wrong with the baby".

KalihiBoy
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
Arrrgh! We had mainland guests who aren't hooked, so we didn't see it! Anybody have a copy that could be burned to DVD/VHS?
Sure, but it'll be VHS -- we're not quite advanced enough for DVDs just yet (though that DVD-burning TiVo unit has always intrigued me). Let me know if you can't find another source, and I'll find a way to get a tape to you. I also have the last three or so episodes saved as well.

The civil defense announcement (for Kauai) was impeccably timed. I didn't stress over it, since we watch TV with captioning on, but I also can't remember the exact line.

Any reason why you're spoiler blocking... er, what you're spoiler blocking? It's not something we all haven't seen (i.e. what we're going to see in an upcoming episode). Just a detail that some folks might have missed.

The appearance of the "Catch a Falling Star" tune was my favorite "aha!" moment. That song, and in fact the airplane mobile, are both references from Season 1. I love when they connect things like that.

Filming at the YWCA downtown today!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Sure, but it'll be VHS -- we're not quite advanced enough for DVDs just yet (though that DVD-burning TiVo unit has always intrigued me). Let me know if you can't find another source, and I'll find a way to get a tape to you. I also have the last three or so episodes saved as well.

(snip)

Any reason why you're spoiler blocking... er, what you're spoiler blocking? It's not something we all haven't seen (i.e. what we're going to see in an upcoming episode). Just a detail that some folks might have missed.

Ahem. You're offering to send me a tape because I haven't seen it, and yet you say "It's not something we all haven't seen."

Inconsistency. I deplores it.

I'll e-mail you, Zarq.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
Ahem. You're offering to send me a tape because I haven't seen it, and yet you say "It's not something we all haven't seen." Inconsistency. I deplores it.
Touché! I keep thinking of "spoilers" as tidbits that are cheats -- scoops from the set or gossip mags that leak who shot Mr. Burns or J.R. before it hits the air, rather than something that's "out there" -- just perhaps something not everyone caught, or saw. I figured whether it was a TV show or a movie, if you missed it and didn't want to know, you'd just avoid the discussion until you caught up.

But, I just realized that Mel had a specific window within which episode details shouldn't be posted (in the first post in this very thread):
Quote:
If you must reveal episodic details, be sure to use the [SPOILER] tags for at least one week after that night's episode airs. There are people who put the program on their DVR, Tivo or videotape for viewing later.
Meaning a whole heap of us have kind of spilled the beans early, on this and previous episodes. So, oops. Sorry, Link! That one-week window was there for folks in exactly your position!

I'll still get you that tape.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
But, I just realized that Mel had a specific window within which episode details shouldn't be posted (in the first post in this very thread):Meaning a whole heap of us have kind of spilled the beans early, on this and previous episodes.

I did not watch the last new episode before this week's one on the same day. I taped it for viewing later. Noticing that some spoilers had gotten through in previous posts, I did the next best thing...

Avoid this topic until I watched the tape.

This week I watched the show in real time and when I commented, I used the [spoiler] tag. So yes, the guideline still stands about using the spoiler tag for the first week until most people get a chance to see the episode.

I do this for the other shows that I watch that are also discussed here. If I have it on tape and did not see it immediately, I avoid the topic... like the Invasion one which I have yet to see that episode (got it on tape but haven't gotten around to see it)...

Of course the general problem about recording too many shows for viewing later is that sometimes you get so many shows that it is hard to catch up with them all on a timely basis.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
Same here. Latey I have a commitment to do on Wednesday nights (as well as other nights too) so I tape Lost and Invasion. When I come home after 10pm I watch Lost that night and watch Invasion on Thursday night.

After watching the episode then I go to the topic and add my 2 cents to it.
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
I did not watch the last new episode before this week's one on the same day. I taped it for viewing later. Noticing that some spoilers had gotten through in previous posts, I did the next best thing...

This week I watched the show in real time and when I commented, I used the [spoiler] tag. So yes, the guideline still stands about using the spoiler tag for the first week until most people get a chance to see the episode.

I do this for the other shows that I watch that are also discussed here. If I have it on tape and did not see it immediately, I avoid the topic... like the Invasion one which I have yet to see that episode (got it on tape but haven't gotten around to see it)...

Of course the general problem about recording too many shows for viewing later is that sometimes you get so many shows that it is hard to catch up with them all on a timely basis.
I'm telling you.... DVR will make a difference in your life!!!
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
I'm telling you.... DVR will make a difference in your life!!!

I'll be getting one before the year's end... maybe even sooner. I have a few more questions to ask on the DVR thread later.

Getting back on topic now, here are some LOST sighting links I found on BuzzNet today:

http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/lost/?id=2320355
http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/lost/?id=2320354
http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/lost/?id=2320353
http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/lost/?id=2320352
http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/lost/?id=2320351

Gotta love that 60s era swimsuit Evangeline is wearing.
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: LOST: Trimming the fat

And the huge tub of ranch dressing that can be kept at room tempurature for 7 years. That in of itself should make the Drama Company rich.