Superman Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Superman Returns

Bummer about the rough day at work, scriv. You might have enjoyed Superman more without it. I mean, frankly, even the basic physics you speak of go out the window in a superhero flick.

There are a million things wrong with Lex Luthor's big plan, water displacement being only one. And sounds in space? That's a staple of fiction that's annoyed people since Captain Kirk swished through the starfield. Even having not seen the film, though, I agree that near silence, a la Battlestar Galactica, would've worked better.

I read Ebert's review, though I wasn't exactly surprised at how he felt about it. Sounds like elements of the Superman universe were updated for the times, whereas he preferred it when it sustained -- even in a knowing, smirking way -- an illusion of a less complex universe. I can see where he's coming from, but there's only two ways to go in reviving a long-abandoned franchise: try to recapture the magic of the original, or try something different. The first is basically impossible, so director Bryan Singer went with the second.

In music, I prefer covers where the artist puts their own spirit into a tune rather than tries to mimick the original, so I don't think I mind that Superman Returns isn't Superman II: Part II. Besides, I've read elsewhere that Singer isn't exactly subtle with his on-screen tributes to the original films, anyway.

Not that I'll see this film before it comes out on DVD or anything...

Comment

Saw it today at Regal Dole. Not a bad movie, but not great either. It is more or less what one expects from a "Superman" or any other comic book hero. Awesomely menacing situation in which the hero saves the world, public or the love interest. This one has it all.

Comparison between this new movie and the Christopher Reeves series are inevitable. Frankly I like the 1978 and 1980 Superman movies better than this one. I think Gene Hackman's Lex Luther lends itself to a better comic book villain than Spacey. At least both have the same motivations... land, defeat of Superman. I definitely like Margot Kidder's hyperactive Lois Lane way better than this new version.

Frankly Superman has a problem trying to find a phone booth in today's world, since there are none in the movie. Too many cell phones. He resorts to the street, closet and an elevator. Not as great as a phone booth... but that was already coming since 1978 when he ran into one of those half sized stalls in that movie.

Finally what for me was missing, was "truth, justice and the American way" with Superman wrapped in patriotism at the end of the movie like it was in 1978.

Still an ok distraction for an afternoon, though I cannot see adding this to my DVD collection until it hits the $7.50 rack at WalMart.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I don't know which media version has Clark Kent going into phone booth to change into Superman. I sort of remember the George Reeves version and the animated 1960's version has Clark Kent running into one of the Daily Planet's broom closet (with a window) to change into Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          I don't know which media version has Clark Kent going into phone booth to change into Superman. I sort of remember the George Reeves version and the animated 1960's version has Clark Kent running into one of the Daily Planet's broom closet (with a window) to change into Superman.
          I kinda remember the phone booth and the closet. I think where he changed depended on where he was when he was called into action! I haven't seen anything with a 'Superman' theme since the 1950s series with George Reeves. George was such a hottie!

Comment

Oh, Tutusue, PLEASE rent the original Superman movie with the late Christopher Reeve. Talk about hottie (not in a Brad Pitt or Antonio Banderas way, but in a boy-next-door kinda way).

I used to watch George Reeves' TV Superman too and I could not imagine anyone else playing the man of steel. Geo.'s visage in that prior-to-lycra-spandex suit was anything but steely, by today's standards. But at that point in my life, I didn't know what "hot" meant, in that sense. Then, Christopher Reeve so easily took Geo's place. Really. I thought the sequel(s) was(are?) okay, as well.

I was looking forward to seeing the new Superman flick ... but my 18-year old son's friends said the best thing about the movie was the Spiderman 3 trailer before the film started! Well, I'll probably see it eventually anyway.
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

In his inimitable style, (again showing us why we luv him so...) Ebert gives us the lowdown on this down low piece of celluloid nothing. Generously characterising it as a competent film, this one dimensional waste of two hours is just that and nothing more. It competently but just fills the void. "A superman movie? Now? why not. let's do it!"
              "but let's not get too clever or have too much fun with it. Otherwise it will go over the heads of most of the audience. We will fill the requsite number of seats with dreck, for that's all the current theatre going proletariat requires."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../60606009/1023

Comment

Please wake me up when they make a new Superman movie with General Zod as the villain.

Of course, without Terrance Stamp, who knows how that would turn out.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Comment

but first, bring the Captain & Tennille!

Comment

Re: Superman

I don't know what radio station I was listening to this morning on my drive to work...

however they said it was a good "chick flick"
                    and that the love story over shadowed the action. They also mentioned it was about 2 1/2 hours long

To me... I think it's important to support the local people that were involved in making it by seeing it...even if it might not be the superman were all expecting.
                    Last edited by damontucker; July 5, 2006, 05:57 PM. Reason: TRT added

Comment

just watched superman returns. nice movie. i give it 5 stars!
                      "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

Originally posted by cprompt0806
                        just watched superman returns. nice movie. i give it 5 stars!
                        I just saw it, and although I like I & II the best, this one was good too.

Comment

Beautiful job! I'll certainly pickup the DVD. I hope the sequel will be as good, if not better.
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                            Beautiful job! I'll certainly pickup the DVD. I hope the sequel will be as good, if not better.
                            If a sequel is made. Supes is going to have to rely on overseas sales to break even on production and promotion costs. On the brightside they did make a sequel to Garfield, so anything is possible .
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              The effects for the super feats were great. There where some plot holes in the movie like in the comics Krypton explodes, in this movie Krypton's sun explodes first, in the first Superman movie Krypton explodes first and then the sun.
                              Okay my memory is faulty. I just saw the first one tonight and in that movie the sun does explode first and then Krypton. Just that in Superman Returns the explosion effect is different.

Comment

After re-reading the Death of Superman the other day,I really think the sequel should follow this storyline. My problems with the Superman movies are that Superman never fights a foe that just may kills him(ok, Superman 2 had 3 foes that could hurt him ,but that's whys it's the best). Bringing Doomsday into the films will draw the fans and give the movie a reason to see.
                                Attached Files
                                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X