Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Originally posted by Pomai
    Their Chili can be described as intense in flavor. Simple as that.
    I'll go a little further with the description. I wouldn't call it "intense," but it's a lot better than at most plate-lunch places. It's very tomatoey, which I consider a good thing, and I find it a little flat, which I don't. However, you get a lot of food for your $3.85, and those two hot dogs plus small drink more than make up for any shortcomings the chili has in the flavor department. I do not consider this very good chili, but I think it's a very good deal.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think the last time I have been to Zippy's was around 6 to 7 months ago. And I don't think it was for the chili.

As far as Hilo goes, I used to go to Cafe 100 during the weekend, their hamburgers were okay and they was the closest to UH Hilo. But I remember K's too but they were slightly farther away.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
        There USED to be a Wendy's in Hilo ... on Kilauea Ave., mauka of Kaiko'o Mall. My sister worked there, after I moved to Oahu.
        She said all the overdone burgers from the grill wound up in the chili.
        Maybe that's why there USED to be a Wendy's in Hilo?
        That's when Danny(alooooha!) K owned all the Wendy's(he went bankrupted). Now that building is Starbucks .
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Richie's is also the ONLY place I've seen where you can order a plate lunch at a drive-through window.
          At the risk of sounding like a dinosaur who lives in the past, I remember getting drive-through plate lunch from Jolly Roger on Dillingham, when KSSK was at 1505 Dillingham Plaza. Fried shrimp plate! Mahi plate! Yum!

I talked with many business folk about why they didn't put another eatery in that location, or like, a drive-through coffee place, but I was told, without variance, that the landlord wanted too much money for the spot.

The building was since razed to make way for an -- auto parts store?

That chili-dog plate sounds winnahs! Esp. w/the Rainbow connection. (get it? nyuk nyuk).
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Say, Scriv, why not just e-mail the customer service address at Zippys.com and ask if there's a difference between the packed-for-shipping and restaurant chili formulas?
            Got a reply back from Monica, a friendly customer service rep at Zippys.com, who reports:

"Our Quality Assurance manager has informed me that the shipped Chili and the Chili sold in our stores are the same - the ingredients and recipes are identical."

So, folks buying from Nebraska can rest assured that the stuff they're getting is the same as what we get in Zippy's restaurants. But the folks eating at the restaurants may be as surprised as Scriv originally was as to some of the ingredients!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              .....and no Wendy's too Craig Wendy's has good chili(not good enough to drive 100 miles to Kona).

Wendy's gotta be really hot and juicy (thank you Andy Bumatai for that description of Wendy's I'll never forget ) for me to travel a hundred miles for

How about that new Patty on Patty technology by Burger King? I'm thinking some nasty thoughts right now.

And Erika...isn't Popeye's still a drive thru near the old KSSK dive? That was an interesting radio location with the two elevators going up labeled "Perry" and "Price" guess which one was on the right.

After KHVH joined KSSK at the now Dole Cannery location, is when I started noticing a bit of an off the fence toward the right political affiliation from Uncle Mikey. Ya think Rick and Rush may have had an influence on Mr. Perry?
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 31, 2006, 10:50 AM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Wendy's gotta be really hot and juicy (thank you Andy Bumatai for that description of Wendy's I'll never forget ) for me to travel a hundred miles for

How about that new Patty on Patty technology by Burger King? I'm thinking some nasty thoughts right now.

And Erika...isn't Popeye's still a drive thru near the old KSSK dive? That was an interesting radio location with the two elevators going up labeled "Perry" and "Price" guess which one was on the right.

After KHVH joined KSSK at the now Dole Cannery location, is when I started noticing a bit of an off the fence toward the right political affiliation from Uncle Mikey. Ya think Rick and Rush may have had an influence on Mr. Perry?
                I haven't been by HT in what seems like days. Sorry for my delay.
                I've not done the drive-through thing at Popeye's Dillingham in years, though I did dine in there within the past ... year? Red beans are still real good.
                I'd forgotten about the P&P elevators. Funny!
                Mike and Larry have always said, "Perry on the left, Price on the right," since the very first morning they signed on ... because of the sides of the studio they occupied when they first said it. Political inclinations had nothing to do with it, it was literal. Then, Larry's Midweek column was named "The Right Price."
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Mmm... just picked up a box of Zippy's Chili at the Uwajimaya today. Maybe I just have a taste for yuckified fast food but I think it's lovely!

So bad for you and yet so tasty

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

I check the ingredients, and holy cow. This thing is loaded with stuff you don't expect in take-out food. You know, preservatives and stuff. Naturally (or unnaturally), I expect this stuff from packaged food, but when I order chili at a restaurant, especially chili that a restaurant considers a specialty, I expect just chili. I've been places (sit-down places, even) where I suspected the chili came out of a can; however, one doesn't think of Zippy's chili as being equivalent to what comes out of a can....
                    ...I feel betrayed.
                    me, too! this mornin' i went over to zippy's makiki to have breakfast whilst cramming for a bus law final. i initially thot i was gonna have an omelet, but then i also wanted chili/brown rice. but the server put the breakfast side of the menu up, and i noticed for the first time ever that they have chili omelets. ha! best of both worlds--i can have my chili and still have it be breakfast.

granted, it's not as if anyone can realistically expect healthy food from zippy's, brown rice or not....

but still...as much preservatives etc as canned? BLEH!!! and BLEH some more. by the way, did i say BLEH? cause BLEH!!! *scowl*

and chili is the only thing really worth eating there now that they're so expensive! would that richie's were 24 hours!
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Back to Chili (and value), nobody can beat the CHILI DOG PLATE from Richie's Drive Inn on N. King st. across the post office near Farrington HS. For just $3.85 you get a huge serving of their house-made (no pre-processed bags) Chili, TWO hot dogs, 2 scoops rice, mac salad AND a small drink! Their Chili can be described as intense in flavor. Simple as that. Richie used to be the cook for many years at Rainbow Drive Inn back in their glory days. Richie's is also the ONLY place I've seen where you can order a plate lunch at a drive-through window.
                      Dropped by today for their chili plate. When did they raise the price to $4.33? Still not a bad deal...

Comment

Just seen an Oceanic TV spot last night for a new Zippy's special called "Chili Moco", which consists of rice, topped with a hamburger patty, chili and 1 egg (mac' salad not included) for $5.45.

To hell with that New Year's weight loss resolution. lol
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If there's one thing I miss about Oahu...it's Zippy's. We do get the Chili in the frozen form sold in most markets here but it's just not the same.

If Zippy's opened in Hilo they'd destroy Ken's Pancake house. But then again that may not be a bad idea as it seems every other time our family dines at Ken's, we get sick from bad food. Yeah don't eat their Won Ton.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            If there's one thing I miss about Oahu...it's Zippy's. We do get the Chili in the frozen form sold in most markets here but it's just not the same.

If Zippy's opened in Hilo they'd destroy Ken's Pancake house. But then again that may not be a bad idea as it seems every other time our family dines at Ken's, we get sick from bad food. Yeah don't eat their Won Ton.
                            As late as last year, I thought they were planning to open a store in Kahului. They were even starting to hire management staff for the store. Now, nada. Wonder what happened? There's no Neighbor Island locations listed on their website.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              As late as last year, I thought they were planning to open a store in Kahului. They were even starting to hire management staff for the store. Now, nada. Wonder what happened? There's no Neighbor Island locations listed on their website.

Miulang
                              As far as the Big Island goes, there's this rumor that Zippy's and Cafe 100 (here on the Big Island) had a gentleman's agreement not to compete here (in Hilo).

Zippy's would do very well at the Prince Kuhio Mall as Dotty's closed down last year leaving a big restaurant space available (and still vacant). Dotty's had a similar setting quite like Zippy's so I'm sure they could fit in very well.

Comment

I heard that Zippy's at one time planned to open in Kailua-Kona, but opposition by other businesses there derailed that.

Anyway, although I often purchase chili benefit tickets for fundraisers (I always buy FOOD tickets, forget about CALENDERS), I much rather prefer the chili from RAINBOW DRIVE-INN, with or without the hot dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X