Big booms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big booms!

Then you would be needing a parachute for a safe landing had you heard this last one. A ripper!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      We thought we were doing it "for you!" - for America and the overall world order.
      You were. And if we don't say it often enough, thank you. I wish I had something more helpful to say.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

My neighborhood has gone crazy!!!! Its explosions everywhere!! I even went down to Kailua Beach to try to escape it a little while, but the Koolau's form a bowl that amplifies it!! I hate this!!

Other folks in the neighborhood are putting up these huge contraptions that look like fishing trawler arms, with pulleys and ropes suspending trapezes(?) that are about 5 feet long. WTF? What do they do with these!!??
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          My neighborhood has gone crazy!!!! Its explosions everywhere!!
          Same here. We've heard fireworks since before Thanksgiving, but of course today it's been insane since shortly after sunrise (and I didn't get home from playing music until about 2am). There's been roughly 10 to 12 boomers every hour! I know my fellow Kaneohe residents can back me up -- Erika, Kaonohi, Leashlaws, and AlohaCandy. (Sorry if I missed anyone else.)

Other folks in the neighborhood are putting up these huge contraptions that look like fishing trawler arms, with pulleys and ropes suspending trapezes(?) that are about 5 feet long. WTF? What do they do with [I]these!!??
          Uh-oh, you're in for a shock. They hang looooong strands of fireworks on them, light one end, and they go off for like 3 to 5 minutes nonstop. The strands are usually about 10,000 firecrackers, but they go as high as 50,000, as I recall.
          Hang on to your britches, TG!
          Weather report: fairly frequent rain on this side today, and strong southeast winds around 15 to 20 knots. Sure hope those winds hang on all night!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Uh-oh, you're in for a shock. They hang looooong strands of fireworks on them, light one end, and they go off for like 3 to 5 minutes nonstop. The strands are usually about 10,000 firecrackers, but they go as high as 50,000, as I recall.
            Hang on to your britches, TG!
            Oh, wow, I just heard the first ones! Crazy!! Its like Bahrain over here!!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Oh, wow, I just heard the first ones! Crazy!!
              Told ya so!
              Boomers are now about once every two minutes; regular firecrackers are almost nonstop. It's not even dark outside yet.
              One of my nieghbors has a tiny puppy who I found running out in the street, absolutely terrorized by the noise. Poor t'ing! The neighbors aren't home at the moment; the puppy (named Nalu) must've been so scared he broke out of the yard. I left a note for the neighbors that I had Nalu.
              Rain just started again, hallelujah. I just looked at some radar images and it looks like some stronger rain will be coming across Oahu around 9pm, but only for an hour or so, darn it. I'm praying for torrential downpours to start right now and last until 3am or so.
              Last edited by LikaNui; December 31, 2009, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                We thought we were doing it "for you!" - for America and the overall world order. For peace and the war against communism.
                The Big Booms will always be there, and so will our reactions.
                If we can get used to you, you need to get used to us.
                Sarge, it's New Year's, not a military holiday!

Here on the Mainland, I've NEVER experienced New Year's fireworks like I did in Hawai`i. I have to settle for the annual Space Needle professional show. (Disclaimer: we did NOT take that photo.)

Happy New Year, HT-ers.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  You were. And if we don't say it often enough, thank you. I wish I had something more helpful to say.
                  Thank YOU!
                  History is best viewed from the present, I guess, and it's the populace that pays for the mistakes of the leaders.

Something more helpful to say? To a Vietnam Vet?

"Welcome Home."

It's not something we heard often after the war.

K*
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I know my fellow Kaneohe residents can back me up -- Erika, Kaonohi, Leashlaws, and AlohaCandy. (Sorry if I missed anyone else.)
                    It's up to about one a minute currently.

Had one close enough last night that woke me and had me groping for my M-16!

INCOMING!

Now, where's that bunker?

TWO per minute now.....

K#
                    ~ ~

Comment

It's quiet in Makiki, for now...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I usually try to spend NYE in Makaha because the noise and smoke levels are pretty light. Amazingly light. But not this year. O.M.G.! It oughta be a wild ride tonight if the chaos and cart after cart filled with fireworks at Longs Waianae today is any indication. I wonder how many keiki will go without food because of...ugh, don't get me started! Major big booms are currently in progress.

Comment

Tutusue...a friend and I were talking last night about how many people were going to be complaining in a week or two that they don't have money to pay their bills or buy food because of all they spent on fireworks....makes no sense to me to spend massive amounts of money on noisemakers that go boom, flash and leave behind smoke.

Comment

last night, around midnight, we heard a loud boom. then, a bird nearby started crying for about 15 seconds... a frightened, frantic cry. it was still crying as it flew off in the distance. i couldn't sleep after that, and the cry still echos in my head.

Comment

Looks like the winds have turned Kona.
                              The clouds are racing by toward the East. I saw a couple of stars I thought were satteloites which seemed to be pacing each other East to West. I realized that was strange, and when the cloud passed there they were - it was just an illusion.

I guess the smoke will becoming over the mountain as well.

The dog is tranked, the cats are in hiding. The people are nuts. I do not ever recall so many illegal airels or so many loud explosions.

Boisse is gone, Mufi is in. Remember to vote.

K%
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; December 31, 2009, 07:18 PM. Reason: Optional
                              ~ ~

Comment

I just looked at some radar images and it looks like some stronger rain will be coming across Oahu around 9pm, but only for an hour or so, darn it.
                                Around 9pm, I said, three hours ago? Well, it's 9:14 and it just started pouring like heck! Fireworks completely stopped. Yeah, baby! Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                                makes no sense to me to spend massive amounts of money on noisemakers that go boom, flash and leave behind smoke.
                                And don't forget the tons and tons of little red firework papers littering almost every street the next day, many of which just get washed into the gutters and end up in the ocean.

Comment

Working...
                                X