Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
    Mi Casa Taqueria will be closing next month. I believe their last day of operation is July 13. The owners are looking for a new location, but in the meantime, they are planing a well-earned vacation for themselves after the Monserrat location closes.
    ate there about three weeks ago, not knowing they were going to close so soon in the future. kinda glad i went.

Quintero's Mexican on Piikoi is no more. Not sure if that one has been mentioned yet.
    yes, some weeks ago, we noticed the sign out front indicating the space was available. meant to post about it here but forgot. *sigh* they had one of the best ceviches on the island, and i did adore their adobo. i wonder if their failed attempt w/la michoacana in the former the other place spot put a strain on the family's finances & ultimately led to their not being able to hold on to quintero's?

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    Just read on PBN that Sam Choy's Diamond Head Restaurant will close.
    i'm glad for that loss.

star-bulletin's story on sam choy's restaurant here.

additionally, chef's table in hawaii kai and tudo de bom in mccully shopping center are no more.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Quintero's Mexican on Piikoi is no more. Not sure if that one has been mentioned yet.
      Awwwww FRICK FRICK FRICK FRICK. That was one of my favorite birthday restaurants. Best hot chocolate I've ever had, too, and I know that's a weird thing to say but their hot chocolate ruined me for hot chocolate just about anywhere else. I'll miss it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        i'm glad for that loss.

star-bulletin's story on sam choy's restaurant here.
        Why are you "glad" about Sam Choy's Kapahulu location closing?

How quickly things change. Ten years ago, Sam Choy was sitting on a growing empire, with restaurants in Kailua-Kona, Kapahulu, Iwilei, Lahaina, Kahului, and Guam. Now, only the Iwilei and Guam locations are still open.

Besides the "rising cost of doing business" types of reasons, does anyone know of the story behind Sam Choy's crumbling empire?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          my disdain for mr. choy & his food, which goes as far back as the mid-90s, is documented in several HT posts, like this one and this one.

How quickly things change. Ten years ago, Sam Choy was sitting on a growing empire, with restaurants in Kailua-Kona, Kapahulu, Iwilei, Lahaina, Kahului, and Guam. Now, only the Iwilei and Guam locations are still open.

Besides the "rising cost of doing business" types of reasons, does anyone know of the story behind Sam Choy's crumbling empire?
          i don't "know" the story but i would guess that what you refer to as his "crumbling empire" is due to several things: (1) overextending himself; (2) being a toxic tyrant of a boss & business partner; (3) over the years, being exposed as a man whose eminent reputation far exceeds his deserving, especially in contrast against truly talented chef-restauranteurs like alan wong, roy yamaguchi, hiroshi fukui, russell siu and so on--what with choy's food product being constant only in its inconsistency.

my most recent experience was at BLC, when i went there for an office party earlier this year (obviously, i did not choose the venue). i ended up suffering a bad bout of food poisoning, likely from the ginger pesto aioli on my crab cake sandwich.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            my disdain for mr. choy & his food, which goes as far back as the mid-90s, is documented in several HT posts, like this one and this one.[...]
            Fortunately I've had nothing but good experiences at both Sam Choy's in Honolulu. Sorry to hear of your bad experiences, cyn. Even sorrier to hear that aloha isn't one of the behind-the-scene's ingredients.

Comment

The last time I went to BLC will probably be just that, the last time.
              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

I saw today that the restaurant supply store on Kohou (across the stream from HCC) is gone. Any idea what happened?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  I saw today that the restaurant supply store on Kohou (across the stream from HCC) is gone. Any idea what happened?
                  I believe it changed location. But I can't recall to what location it moved.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    American Restaurant Supply recently merged with another company called Bargreen Ellingson. So I guess they decided to consolidate their operations by closing the showroom on Kohou St. and moving everything over to the Kamehameha Hwy. location (across from Pearlridge Shopping Ctr.)
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

American Restaurant Supply recently merged with another company called Bargreen Ellingson. So I guess they decided to consolidate their operations by closing the showroom on Kohou St. and moving everything over to the Kamehameha Hwy. location (across from Pearlridge Shopping Ctr.)
                      As noted in their press release; the Kohou store was B-E's showroom. B-E is based up this way, in the PacNW, with touches into Texas, Colorado, British Columbia and with this merger, four locations in Hawai`i. They take pride in still being family-owned.

Comment

Starbucks has announced the 5 Hawaii stores closing: http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...l?ana=from_rss

The Hawaii stores are at Waiakea Center in Hilo, Maui Marketplace in Kahului and in Honolulu at 120 Sand Island Access Road, in the Victoria Ward Center and at the Hokua condominium at 1288 Ala Moana Blvd.

The closures will begin this month and continue through the first half of fiscal 2009.
                        I'm surprised they're closing the Ward Center one down.
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          [...]
                          I'm surprised they're closing the Ward Center one down.
                          Last I remember, there are 4 Starbuck's in that area within 2 blocks of each other...
                          Hokua (Ala Moana & Auahi...almost across the street from Borders WC...not counting the IBM building!)
                          Ward Entertainment Center (Kamakee & Auahi)
                          Borders at Ward Center (Auahi)
                          Ward Gateway (Ward & Auahi...near Sports Authority)

I'm more surprised that they opened so many to begin with! The 2 closings still leave 2 stores in the same area...enough for everyone to get their caffeine fix!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Last I remember, there are 4 Starbuck's in that area within 2 blocks of each other...
                            Hokua (Ala Moana & Auahi...almost across the street from Borders WC...not counting the IBM building!)
                            Ward Entertainment Center (Kamakee & Auahi)
                            Borders at Ward Center (Auahi)
                            Ward Gateway (Ward & Auahi...near Sports Authority)

I'm more surprised that they opened so many to begin with! The 2 closings still leave 2 stores in the same area...enough for everyone to get their caffeine fix!
                            LOL, I forgot about that. So they're closing Hokua and which one?
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

It sounds like they are closing Hokua and the one at the foot of the theater escalator, near Quiksilver. The Ward Gateway Starbucks is still going strong and they're still talking about taking that one to 24-hours, which would make me very happy. I'm mildly disappointed about the closing of the Sand Island cafe, but that thing is only open six days per week anyway, and it closes at 7 on weeknights. Psssssh.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

3 of the 5 locations are inside Borders(Waiakea, Maui Marketplace and Ward Centre). Likely Borders will find a new coffee partner for these locations.
                                Hokua was only open until 8pm and was "out of the loop" with Ward Village Shops under construction.
                                As for the Ward Area this still leaves the 2 S'bux plus Mocha Java and Satura Cakes as other locations to swill espresso.
                                I do like the idea for Ward Gateway to go 24hrs.

Comment

Working...
                                X