Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    How do you plan to catch Saturday’s University of Hawaii football season opener against Colorado?

A. Go to the game
    B. Pay TV
    C. Radio
    D. Don't care

They didn't mention the obvious possible answer, which is that almost all of us will watch it live and for FREE on ESPN2.
    Why would they leave that out of the poll?
    In a way, ESPN2 is "pay TV." Basic cable isn't free.

But I know what you mean. Whoever wrote the poll probably assumed that the opening game was going to be on Oceanic's UH PPV package. Pure carelessness on the part of whoever formulated the poll's list of responses.

There are other responses they should have added, like watching the game at a sports bar, or at a friend's house.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      There are other responses they should have added, like watching the game at a sports bar, or at a friend's house.
      Yeah, but if you're the sort who answers online newspaper polls, where in the world are you making any friends before Saturday morning?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yee-ouch.
        extra characters

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Yeah, but if you're the sort who answers online newspaper polls, where in the world are you making any friends before Saturday morning?
          Gee, voting on a single question takes less than 5 seconds. Doesn't take much time away from making friends.
          On the other hand, someone [/cough] wrote in another thread: "(Kurt) Cobain obviously passes the icon test, and when he killed himself I went to bed for three days and never left the apartment".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We now see the generation gap between LikaNui & Scrivener in clear light.

Comment

Getting back to the subscription thing.

I recently found out that the Starvatiser gives deep discounts to selected people. One person I know is getting a $52 a year subscription... $1 a week for both paper and web. This person resides in Honolulu.

So for those of you actually subscribing to this thing, is the money you are spending for the subscription worth it? Paper or web?

I've stopped reading their web except for the breaking news tidbits I get on my iPod Touch. I occasionally read the paper edition if I find one lying around for free. Otherwise its on to Civil Beat (even with paid content they have more free content than Starvatiser) and HawaiiReporter.com.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As long as they keep Prince Valiant in the comics and report on the magnetic anomaly on H-3 before the end of the year, I'll keep them.

What's the hold up on the H-3 magnetic reversals???? Federal secrets, or what?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

While I mostly disagree with a lot of the editorial viewpoints in the Honolulu Weekly, in this week's edition they had a good story about Media Monopolies in the Hawaii market, mostly singling out the Star-Advertiser and Hawaii News Now mergers and monopolies.

http://honoluluweekly.com/cover/2011...edia-monopoly/

Surely the Weekly has an axe to grind against the Star Advertiser given that their printing rates went through the roof and that the big paper asked them to pay up or go to court. So I can see why they published this article.

Overall for the Hawaii market the mostly one paper town has been an expensive deal for advertisers, other papers and consumers. They pointed out to the tiered expense of subscriptions being more costly for Oahu residents vs. those on the neighbor islands and the mainland... and then I know of an Oahu resident who got a deal of subscription for one dollar a week.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Starvatiser has stooped to a new low early this evening. Here I am at home, minding my own business, eating my early dinner.

I get a phone call. I pick up the phone. And guess what? It's some TELEMARKETER calling me from the "Star Advertiser"!

What's up with that?

I am on the National DO NOT CALL list for my phone number. And now the Starvatiser is cheating and using telemarketing to get people to subscribe or what? I have never, ever done business with the firm since they became the "Star Advertiser". Many, many years ago I did subscribe to the weekend Honolulu Advertiser just to get the TV schedule and ads.

But that subscription expired many, many years ago. And at that time after I cancelled I told them never to call me up to get me to re-subscribe. So officially I should have never been contacted by the new entity because I have never done any business with them except browse their website anonymously when it was free up to this past August.

Now I don't want to have anything to do with the Starvatiser in terms of being a subscriber ever. The "Star Advertiser" gives favor to one bunch of subscribers over others in terms of what they get based on where they live. Plus some people get plum deals of $52 for 52 weeks in both print and internet. Most do not I presume.

Needless to say I gave the hapless woman on the line a piece of my mind,

So in essence I continue to hold my ground of not wanting to subscribe... now or ever. Getting a telemarketing call from their subscription department further cements my position.

May they go down soon if they are stooping to using telemarketing tactics. No one wants to be bothered by telemarketers, email spammers and junk faxers.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

About the only good thing for local residents and visitors alike about the APEC conference is that the Honolulu Star Advertiser website is offering all of their content FREE from now to November 14.

After the diplomats leave it's back to paywall mode.

BTW, Apple Safari users should add the AdBlock extension to their browser. It effectively kills all of the annoying roll downs, pop ups and pop unders that infect the Star Advertiser site as well as many others. Adblock is the most popular extension for Apple's Safari.

https://extensions.apple.com/
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not all of the online content is available....there are still "stars" attached to certain articles or sections of their website that are only accessable to subscribers.

I thought that perhaps one of the paper's competitors would have pointed this out...as it is not true to say "All Online Access is Free," but I guess not.

Besides, having to sift through typos, misspellings, grammatical errors in the Staradvertiser reports gets old after a while.

This is what can happen when you have only one, major newspaper in town.

Quality suffers.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        About the only good thing for local residents and visitors alike about the APEC conference is that the Honolulu Star Advertiser website is offering all of their content FREE from now to November 14.

After the diplomats leave it's back to paywall mode.

BTW, Apple Safari users should add the AdBlock extension to their browser. It effectively kills all of the annoying roll downs, pop ups and pop unders that infect the Star Advertiser site as well as many others. Adblock is the most popular extension for Apple's Safari.

https://extensions.apple.com/

Comment

Here is one example that I found after a few seconds perusing one of the StarAdvertiser reports:

"Police say two males got into an argument that escalated into a physical confrontation"

The proper way is:

"Police SAID two males got into an argument...."

This is basic, Journalism 101 stuff. *sigh*

Comment

Good: Free online access is through Nov. 3.

Bad: Which gave me the opportunity to spot this [Man sentenced in death of homeless man in Manoa church lot]:

A judge sentenced David Orpin to 20 years in prison today for the beating death of a 70-year-old man in Manoa.[photo caption]
                            A state jury found David Orpin, 60, guilty of manslaughter for the October 2010 beating death of 62-year-old Arthur Martinez.[article]
                            ahhh..... ??
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Who writes the titles of newspaper articles? The article's writer (reporter)? The editor?

"Man appears in court for allegedly sex assaulting woman over 8 years"
                              A 35-year-old Nanakuli man made his initial appearance in Honolulu District Court today for allegedly sexually assaulting an 18-year-old woman over an eight-year period....Police said Inere-Hanohano allegedly sexually assaulted the girl from Jan. 27, 2005 when she was in the seventh or eighth grade to June 28.
                              Sex assault was from the age 10/11 through 18. Sex assault of a "woman" is bad enough, but how about the headlines reflecting the true slimy aspect of this pervert's crime of having sexually assaulted a CHILD FOR EIGHT YEARS!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                                Who writes the titles of newspaper articles? The article's writer (reporter)? The editor?
                                The same worker must still be in charge of titles.

Blood found at 2 burglaries gets Moanalua man in trouble
                                Police tracked down a burglary suspect after tests showed blood from the scene of two burglaries matched his.
                                Kakugawa’s blood was recovered from both crime scenes, and his DNA was later matched to the blood that was recovered.
                                Wasn't being a thief what "got him in trouble", and leaving behind DNA what "got him caught"?

Comment

Working...
                                X