Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM
Ali`i

Default eeeee-booooo-laaaaa

As in ri-co-la

Someone was/is hospitalized at Queen's for suspected ebola yet there's little been said in our print/radio media, maybe TV carried it, but it's odd that the mainland knows more about it than we do.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: eeeee-booooo-laaaaa

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=277920111

"The state Health Department has determined that a man hospitalized in isolation at the Queen's Medical Center does not meet the criteria for testing for Ebola and the man is no longer under evaluation for possible Ebola infection."

Benjamin N. Haynes CDC spokesman, said Thursday: "We can't say definitively it's not Ebola if no test is done, but it doesn't appear to be Ebola based on symptoms and history."

There are some people who are unhappy that the patient was not actually tested for ebola or that the hospital did not at least wait out the 21 day incubation period, though.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
Benjamin N. Haynes CDC spokesman, said Thursday: "We can't say definitively it's not Ebola if no test is done, but it doesn't appear to be Ebola based on symptoms and history."
There are some people who are unhappy that the patient was not actually tested for ebola or that the hospital did not at least wait out the 21 day incubation period, though.
No kidding, that statement from a CDC official and the person's release is at least as stupid as the nurse in Dallas that didn't recognize a flaming red flag the second the guy came in and said where he'd been.
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Ali`i

Now we know it was more than the nurse's negligence in Dallas, it was another total breakdown in protocol with the doctors blowing it by not questioning anything regarding the patient, unacceptable negligence.
Maybe even worse was how the man's family were dealt with, being forced to stay in the small 2 br apt. they all shared for over a week's time after he was diagnosed with 1 br off limits because it was full of highly contaminated linings and the whole apt.'s surfaces contaminated, and leaving these adults and kids scared to death of becoming infected without any recourse and maybe they have been infected and could die. How fucking stupid are these officials in handling this matter? This country can no longer do anything right.
Bright side, maybe we dodged a bullet with the Queens patient seemingly OK.
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:46 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Exclamation Re: eeeee-booooo-laaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Bright side, maybe we dodged a bullet with the Queens patient seemingly OK.
No such luck for the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital patient.

Ebola patient in Dallas turns critical, no new U.S. cases

Quote:
The case of Thomas Eric Duncan, who arrived in Dallas from Liberia two weeks ago, has heightened concerns that the worst epidemic of Ebola on record could spread from West Africa where it began in March and has taken more than 3,400 lives.

[...]

The hospital said in a terse statement on Saturday that he was in critical condition, a worsening from the “serious condition” he was listed in the previous two days. The hospital declined to elaborate.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Ali`i

No kidding the hospital declined to elaborate, if the guy dies they're in for a sue job for blowing it. I'd be a bit terse as well if I knew I was largely responsible for his death when it could have probably been avoided and spreading it around.
Notice how republicans want to typically / psychotically blame it all on Obama, but Rick Perry get's a pass? No 'plenty of blame to go around' this time when future hopeful Pres. candidate part deux Rick "OOPS!" Perry is on the prison ropes already.
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Ali`i

Reports out of Dallas say "permits" were partially to blame for the unacceptably nasty way the family was treated. Heads need to roll and a totally revamping of protocol and procedure needs to be enacted to reform that mass of mess.
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Ali`i

Now the guy is dead, a day after they finally gave him some experimental drug that has saved the lives of all the others that came into the US with it to be treated, he was the first to die while all the others have survived with the drugs, or are improving. They got the drugs early, he got it way too late, yet it was available all along. He's black, they're all white. Funny how that worked.
Old October 9th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Ali`i

He did not receive the same experimental drug that the two aid workers who were brought back to the US received (ZMapp). The experimental drugs were not meant to be used on humans for treatment yet so the drug company didn't have a lot of it on hand and the drug manufacturer says they ran out of the drug before Duncan got to the US and it will take them months to make more. As to why there was a delay in Duncan receiving experimental drugs, I've seen articles that say that special permission is required from the FDA to use experimental drugs on humans and the hospital had to apply for this special permission but also did not want to give Duncan these really experimental drugs unless his condition worsened (which it did, and he did get an experimental drug) because the drug is experimental and might have killed Duncan on its own.
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Ali`i

They say he didn't get the drug because they ran out of it...
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Ali`i

Anybody know what kind of screening is going on a HIAirport?
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Ali`i

After the new nurse in Dallas 'somehow' getting contaminated and hearing a former Surgeon General of the United States recently comment unconvincingly that our screening at airports is adequate I'm figuring ebola will explode worldwide thanx to our stupidity and Hawaii will be a hotspot.
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Anybody know what kind of screening is going on a HIAirport?
Quote:
...and Hawaii will be a hotspot.
Are there any airlines that do direct flights from West African nations to Hawai`i? If not, screening would be likely to occur prior to anyone flying there.

But of course, screwups will happen...are happening...
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
But of course, screwups will happen...are happening...
It's crazy the lax attitudes that prevail with so many of the officials in charge, from top to bottom, they've allowed this thing to get out of hand. It's probably easier to transmit than they're telling people, obviously airborne and sweat are top ways and that's everywhere in public. Now it's flu season and if this needless calamity progresses the panic will easily explode with everybody thinking their 98 degree temperature a sure death warrant. This all seems way too convenient.
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
It's crazy the lax attitudes that prevail with so many of the officials in charge, from top to bottom, they've allowed this thing to get out of hand. It's probably easier to transmit than they're telling people, obviously airborne and sweat are top ways and that's everywhere in public. Now it's flu season and if this needless calamity progresses the panic will easily explode with everybody thinking their 98 degree temperature a sure death warrant. This all seems way too convenient.
Naturally the 'officials' will play down any danger to avoid panic and riots (as we have seen elsewhere, thank you). They will also mount inadequate measures to halt the disease (because they are too busy getting Gun Control passed?)

Face it. Lots of people are going to die.

When it was an "African" problem, token gestures were met. If it gets loose in the USA (indirectly because of our 'token gestures'), everyone will be too busy finger-pointing blame to do anything effective.

We all die of something, eventually, hopefully not before 'our time,' but we all will die.
No exceptions.

Ebola, gunshot, car crash, overdose, medical malpractice, falling out of a tree, crime deaths, old age, illness, cancer, flu, smallpox, the black death, war, murder, matapules, drowning, allergies, alcoholism, 'misfortune,' accident, etc.

We do what we can, but there will always be victims, no matter what we do.

Eventually every one of us will be a victim to something.

Live with it, until you no longer can, and in the meantime do what you can to stem the tide.

Best of luck.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: eeeee-booooo-laaaaa

Quote:
It's probably easier to transmit than they're telling people, obviously airborne and sweat are top ways and that's everywhere in public.
It’s been well publicized that this disease can only be transmitted via bodily fluids — and that includes sweat. However, there have been documented cases of transmission via misquito bites (which is NOT well publicized) — and that is the main reason for quarantine.

As to your implication of an airborne infection, just pray that the disease does not mutate to develop that capability. Because if the disease is airborne, it is already too late to prevent tens, and perhaps hundreds of thousands of Americans from dying before they can control the outbreak.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Ali`i

The fact is virtually nobody has done the things the needed to do at the right times and most still aren't, it's amazing things havn't erupted yet, but it will, and it all could have been prevented.
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Ali`i

Exclamation We’re doomed :eek:

Quote:
it's amazing things havn't erupted yet, but it will, and it all could have been prevented.
And as if on cue...

Ebola Test Is Positive in Second Texas Health Worker

By MANNY FERNANDEZ OCT. 15, 2014

Quote:
DALLAS — Three days after a nurse who treated a Liberian man with Ebola contracted the virus, a second worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for the virus in preliminary tests, state and federal health officials said Wednesday morning...

...but officials have not yet determined how she became infected. They said she might have breached safety protocol when removing the protective clothing and gear.

It was also not known how the second hospital worker contracted the disease, and it was unclear what, if any, monitoring the C.D.C. had conducted of the precautions hospital workers took as they came in and out of Mr. Duncan’s room in the isolation ward.
Yeah, that’s right. Don’t be alarmed because in the U.S., experts and officials are so on top of things, aren't they?

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Ali`i

It's amazing that Duncan's wife and child have not shown symptoms yet, hopefully one good news out of this senseless debacle. Even Obama has yet to get the weight of the issues, still babbling that others need to step it up. Media are saying the famous black plague may have been an ebola strain instead of fleas, and it was allowed to get out of hand due to official negligence, just like our equally backwards officials are proving to be.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Ali`i

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...safe-doing-so/
And now we have The First Transmitter In Chief;
Obama said he had been in close contact with nurses at Emory University hospital who cared for two American Ebola patients. "I shook hands with, hugged and kissed not the doctors, but a couple of the nurses at Emory, because of the valiant work that they did in treating one of the patients. They followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing, and I felt perfectly safe doing so," he said. The president stressed that Ebola is not spread as the flu is, by way of sneezes or coughs.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: eeeee-booooo-laaaaa

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...safe-doing-so/
And now we have The First Transmitter In Chief;
Obama said he had been in close contact with nurses at Emory University hospital who cared for two American Ebola patients. "I shook hands with, hugged and kissed not the doctors, but a couple of the nurses at Emory, because of the valiant work that they did in treating one of the patients. They followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing, and I felt perfectly safe doing so," he said. The president stressed that Ebola is not spread as the flu is, by way of sneezes or coughs.
As if I could even believe his report of his actions. Of course we could get lucky....

Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:57 PM
Ali`i

Today was the end of the 21 day quarantine for a few but even CNN let it slip out that the waiting period could be at least twice that, plus the viral load is advancing, each new victim has a worse and harder to fight version than previous.
The Duncan family and others cleared yet branded as ebola pariahs are now being ostracized by the public and not finding housing as we see our current society again mirroring 3rd world country behavior in fear, panic, and ignorance. But then, how can anybody be blamed when nobody knows what the extent of this we'll see and trust in our officials is shot?
How can we have endless alphabet Gmt. mega agencies and $$$ organizations that are supposed to be worth a damn in times of crisis and instead when we need them the system crumbles every time?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Really? So how does the president explain this:

Nurse’s friend: Ebola patient Nina Pham was wearing full hazmat suit

Quote:
In interview with CNN's Erin Burnett, her close friend and former colleague Jennifer Joseph said Pham was wearing a full hazmat suit when treating Duncan.

So how was she able to contract the deadly virus?

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

So little is known at the street level about any of this that it's out of control now, and nobody was practicing proper procedures to any 5 alarm degree at any stage, and still aren't. This should have been Apollo 11 return to Earth type seclusion and protocol from the start in Africa. The Keystone Cops already have the entire situation neutralized in a parallel world.
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Ali`i

Thumbs down More Ebola for everyone...

I was really hoping this wouldn’t keep on happening. Like maybe the disease would suddenly die off or an experimental drug would be determined to be a bona fide cure, and thus be approved by the FDA for mass production. Sadly, that is NOT the news we continue to hear:

New York doctor tests positive for Ebola- official

Quote:
Oct 23 (Reuters) — A New York City doctor who worked recently with Ebola patients in West Africa and returned to New York City tested positive for the illness on Thursday, officials said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio made the announcement at a news conference late on Thursday, hours after the doctor was admitted to a city hospital with symptoms, and taken into isolation.

Dr. Craig Spencer, 33, was tested at Bellevue Hospital, where results indicated he has the disease, the mayor said.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993