Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA parking fiasco

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    This is why I think every car should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near cars.
    Adrian, I think you might've made a couple of typos in that sentence, and that you meant to write this:

"This is why I think every cart should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near carts."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Since we're next door to CompUSA and we received the original email as a potential letter to the editor, it was widely read in the SB newsroom.

Parking is a problem down here. CompUSA's lot is so big and wide that it's tempting. However, the parking lot is chained off when the store isn't open. If it wasn't, and the folks were waiting for the store to open, then CompUSA bears some responsibility for what happened. (Also, where's that Vietnamese sandwich place?)

Beyond that, the primary jerk appears to be the tow operator. Has anyone met a tow operator who wasn't an A-hole? And why all the way to Waipahu?

You break CompUSA's rules, you get towed. But there's no excuse for the "victims" in this case to be treated that way by the tow operator. This reflects back on CompUSA, rightly or not.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I also read it on another local forum that I belong to.
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

A PR director who can't afford to pay for parking that's closer to your errand?

*plays violin with tear in my eye*

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Since we're next door to CompUSA and we received the original email as a potential letter to the editor, it was widely read in the SB newsroom.
            Correct me if Iā€™m wrong Burl, but it looks like the Honolulu Advertiser beat you guys to the punch.

We canā€™t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

ā€” U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

That was a pretty thorough story. Even made Aldinger look reasonable, though her meltdown will probably reach more than the "dozens" cited. (Dozens?) Hope she has her job at Bishop Museum for a good long time, given hiring managers' Google power. Especially since the Advertiser spelled her name "Charlie," not "Charlene" (she uses both) so it might not help much.

Interesting that there was no mention of the $60,000 parking space down the street. It seemed a perfect exhibit to show how insane things are getting.

I wonder what Stacy Aldinger thinks of all this? Or frail little Lily, for that matter!
              Last edited by pzarquon; April 1, 2007, 06:48 AM.

Comment

It does make Aldinger sound more reasonable, but she's still putting all of the blame on the store, even though she got her refund. She insists that some kind of "reasonable" solution can be arrived at, since so many other customers do what her daughter was doing. Ridiculous.

For now, Elton has told 24/7 Park Inc., the tow company he contracted with, that he will request a tow if he needs one.
                This sounds a lot less aggressive. Will Aldinger call off her boycott, and will she be as thorough in spreading word about her refund? Pssssh.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  A PR director who can't afford to pay for parking that's closer to your errand?

*plays violin with tear in my eye*
                  It wasn't the PR director who got towed. It was her college age daughter. Not that that makes any difference at this point!

Comment

It's startling how many here take the position that if what CompUSA did was legal, then it's perfectly okay.
                    Greg

Comment

I work in a small office building a couple of blocks up South St. from CompUSA. I have a parking space in my building that I pay for monthly. Often, the lot is full and I can't park. It's incredibly frustrating. Management does nothing about it...telling tenants to park on the street til the space frees up! Yah! Right! I pull in and park in the open space perpendicular and very close to 2 cars so the owners have to go from office to office looking for the owner of the white car (me...who has the building's parking tag hanging from my rear view mirror!) to move it! I also photograph the cars with license plates in view in case there's any damage to my car. I see people park and walk off the property all the time. I tell them the lot's patrolled and cars are towed regularly!!!

I completely understand CompUSA's frustration but disagree with their tactics....including 24/7's. It appears the retailer is changing those, for the time being anyway!

Comment

It's time they start building automated parking garages, you can squeeze in so many more vehicle spots in the same given area.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Correct me if Iā€™m wrong Burl, but it looks like the Honolulu Advertiser beat you guys to the punch.
                          Yep. Sure it was a judgment call, given our limited resources.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but how long were they parked there? Did they get there at 7am and the store didnt open til 9am?
                            Its sort of common sense (to me) that you dont park in someone elses lot and then go to another store. What would be a good solution that is fair to the store and to customers? A parking gate/validation/stamp system?
                            I talked to a friend whos sort of high up at compusa and he was familiar with the situation (before it was printed today) and said its not the store next door, in fact i've heard employees at compusa tell customers to go check personal touch (they seem to have some sort of working relationship of sorts now - if one store doesnt have an item, theyll send it to the other) but that people regurlarly park at compusa's lot to go to INS or to Bale.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                              Maybe I missed it, but how long were they parked there? Did they get there at 7am and the store didnt open til 9am?
                              Its sort of common sense (to me) that you dont park in someone elses lot and then go to another store. What would be a good solution that is fair to the store and to customers? A parking gate/validation/stamp system?
                              I talked to a friend whos sort of high up at compusa and he was familiar with the situation (before it was printed today) and said its not the store next door, in fact i've heard employees at compusa tell customers to go check personal touch (they seem to have some sort of working relationship of sorts now - if one store doesnt have an item, theyll send it to the other) but that people regurlarly park at compusa's lot to go to INS or to Bale.
                              Put a low fence around the lot? Then it's obvious that if you're just using CompUSA's parking for other purposes, people will see in plain sight as you have to hop the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                                Maybe I missed it, but how long were they parked there? Did they get there at 7am and the store didnt open til 9am?[...]
                                At the link posted earlier I believe there was mention of the student parking at approx. 7:30a or so and was towed before 8a. CompUSA opens at 8a. The petite Lily parked at 8:30a and was towed at 8:34a.

I just returned to my office and there isn't a parking stall to be had. I've double parked blocking 2 cars. My car is the only one with a parking tag. Grrrr...

Comment

Working...
                                X