Leave the islands to the locals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave the islands to the locals?

First of all, please no one take offense to this and I am not mad or anything when writing this but there's something that has been bugging me.

I was planning to move to Hawaii but I read about all these people moving there. My problem now is, is everyone moving there taking good jobs away from the locals? Also housing and ETC. I also heard that locals get some type of credit to make up the difference of living cost from the government.

I would feel like absolute sh$t if I moved to Oahu and was all happy when someone lost a chance for getting a good job. I have a good job where I am at and now just thinking that, maybe just visiting Hawaii and leave the island to the locals might be a better situation.

Am I wrong for thinking this?

Re: Am I wrong for thinking this....

You have a good heart for even thinking that far into things.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      You have a good heart for even thinking that far into things.
      Thanks for the comment. When I lived on Oahu, I was a teenager and a part time job at a movie theater was all I needed. Like most people, I want a communitee (no matter where it is) to be a positive one, and maybe visiting would be the better decision.

But when I go on vacation this year, I will enjoy Hawaii for what it is, somewhere beautiful.
      Last edited by ChicagoGuy75; May 28, 2007, 09:29 PM. Reason: Misspelled Beautiful, wish life would have spellcheck.

Comment

I dont know. Can't answer that. But when I moved here, I applied just like anybody else could have/did and found my job that way.

I "may" have come here with a different perspective on things, working for a large mainland bank for several years "may" have been seen as a fresh new direction with ideas that impressed them. I dont know.

Back in San Francisco, I met a guy who moved there from Honolulu just before I moved here. He got a job that I would have liked to have. Maybe it works both ways. Your life. Your decision.
        n'importe

Comment

Kaukura, yeah I hear you on the oppurtunity being my decision.

Pre-Sept. 11th I was a customs broker and had the chance to work in Japan, that's when I learned about their working programs that I would only be allowed a Short Term Visa and then would have to leave after a few years if I didn't apply for citizenship in Japan.

I guess this is a regular practice businesses in Japan has, and when I thought about moving to Hawaii that idea has been buzzing around my head. I know Hawaii doesn't have a short term Visa but I can understand that in Japan that they would want to hold jobs for their citizens.

I think it's more that I would be going to Hawaii without a job transferring me out there and would have to apply for a job when arriving.

Comment

In a way, I agree w/ you. In a way... I don't.

In my case, Hawaii does not have a nurse anesthetist school, so they are in desperate need, & are willing to pay $165k base per year starting.

All states need teachers, & my soon to be fiance is just that... So I don't see that we're taking away jobs from anyone.

BTW, jobs are out there for everyone to take. Some are harder to get than others... but your job now will open up when you leave, & the mainland has unemployed people just the same as Hawaii.

I would hope; however, that people who were born in Hawaii would have a higher chance of getting a job... That sounds illegal but it only seems fair, to me.
            <3 EriKa
            ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
              In my case, Hawaii does not have a nurse anesthetist school, so they are in desperate need, & are willing to pay $165k base per year starting.
              Just curious---where did you get the " $165K base/yr" starting pay figure for CRNA's?

I've never heard it quoted that high but it would be nice.

Comment

Re: Leave the islands to the locals?

I agree with you, ChicagoGuy. It is a tough call. here is my take:

I am form Bermuda, but share a dual citizenship with the U.S.of A. I am very grateful. In Bermuda, locals have priority in the job market, if it can not be filled, THEN, others are considered. Here comes the double edged sword...If you fill a position with an outtie(outsider) their stay on the island can not exceed 4 years. Bermuda is a HUGE off shore financial hub as there is no taxes. There are a LOT of HUGE world wide known corporations that have buildings in BDA, and after 4 years, the person they have hired is acclimated, it tune with the job, stable, and then guess what...they have to leave.

I do not wish to offend anyone here, and the main reason I joined this site was to learn of another islands culture before I moved there. I know that there will/can be, certain Island prejudices(for lack of a better word), BUT it is the price anyone pays for moving to an island. Though Hawaii is a part of the United States, as Bermuda is to the UK, there is a sense of "should be welcoming", but that is not always the case.

Kudos for thinking of others, that is what I was doing in my first initial post here at HT. I wanted to be as respectful as possible to a culture that, even if a part of the U.S., was in fact very different from what I have experienced in the conus.

When it comes to work though, I am in the camp that, if the position is open, it is there for the taking. To me, the job market is fair game, and if you want it, you MUST pursue it. I am sure that there is a hierarchy involved but if you have a chance to get a foot in the door, do it. Jobs are open for a reason, and if a company is willing to have someone from the mainland move out to fill the position, then it must be for a reason. In my line of work, back in Bermuda, jobs were ALWAYS open. BDA natives want to relax and party at nigh, not be sweating it out in a kitchen till 3am, 6 days a week, and that is why the work force is diverse. What the locals choose not to do, someone else will.

I guess my point is, no matter where you are, if a job is open, it is there for the taking. It is up to the employer to make the call for there. If the employer wishes to give locals a priority, which I have NO issue with, then that is their right. If blessed with an opportunity, do it to it.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  Just curious---where did you get the " $165K base/yr" starting pay figure for CRNA's?

I've never heard it quoted that high but it would be nice.
                  I read it somewhere many months ago, but I found this for ya:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...choosesignup=0
                  <3 EriKa
                  ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
                    I read it somewhere many months ago, but I found this for ya:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...choosesignup=0
                    Very cool. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
                      I also heard that locals get some type of credit to make up the difference of living cost from the government.
                      The only locals I know that get anykind of COLA (cost of living allowance) increase annually are fed or state employees. Don't know about state, but feds usually get less than 5%. I'm on fed disability and "sometimes" get a 2.5% increase in my benefits. Makes it rough living on a fixed income.

Comment

Is your disability payment reduced an amount equal to whatever amount (if any) you earn via employment?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          The only locals I know that get anykind of COLA (cost of living allowance) increase annually are fed or state employees. Don't know about state, but feds usually get less than 5%. I'm on fed disability and "sometimes" get a 2.5% increase in my benefits. Makes it rough living on a fixed income.
                          Bzzzzt. State employees don't get a COLA at all. By contrast, the Feds get 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
                            First of all, please no one take offense to this and I am not mad or anything when writing this but there's something that has been bugging me.

I was planning to move to Hawaii but I read about all these people moving there. My problem now is, is everyone moving there taking good jobs away from the locals? Also housing and ETC.
                            Yup. And yup.

I also heard that locals get some type of credit to make up the difference of living cost from the government.
                            Bwaaaaahaahaah! Who told you that?

I would feel like absolute sh$t if I moved to Oahu and was all happy when someone lost a chance for getting a good job. I have a good job where I am at and now just thinking that, maybe just visiting Hawaii and leave the island to the locals might be a better situation.

Am I wrong for thinking this?
                            No. Stay home.

Comment

Re: Leave the islands to the locals? -Who Changed this??!?

I am happy that people got involved in this conversation and was openly with their comments.

I am sure this was one of those conversations that some people don't want to discuss but is there in the back of their minds.

Whether moving or not to Hawaii seems more of a lacking question now, I am more looking forward to visiting my old neighborhood on Oahu and seeing some old friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X