Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Man, Let the Finger Pointing Commence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Man, Let the Finger Pointing Commence.

I was talking to someone at work and this conversation came up, and I have to ask.

When a friend of mine went to Ohio, the second they found out he was from Chicago they thought he would rob stores and shoot people.

When I was living on Hawaii, people said they thought I was too nice to be from a place like Chicago.
    =======================================
    So......with that in mind....where do you think the rudiest people come from when visiting?

And better yet, what is the first thing to come to mind when you hear they come from (their state)?

**Please note, the conversation I had at work was funny, hope this thread doesn't turn ugly.

Re: Oh Man, Let the Finger Pointing Commence.

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
    So......with that in mind....where do you think the rudiest people come from when visiting?
    It's not location but the attitude that comes with the visiting person in question.

Although for me, I'm wary of people coming from the east than from the west. Of course, I hid it behind a polite smile.

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
    And better yet, what is the first thing to come to mind when you hear they come from (their state)?
    "Do I have my baton on my keychain?" (Don't own a gun yet.)
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

hate to admit it, but I pay no attention to where they come from, but I umm...keep on my toes when the person is Caucasian. I'm just waaaaiting for them to show me how things are "supposed to be done."

[shots fired]
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

[ducks under table]

In my tourist experience... some japanese tourists tend to be oblivious to their surroundings.

That's my nice way of saying those individuals have bumped in to me without acknowleging that they did or cutting in line (AS A GROUP) and even dare i say it... stepping on my feet without so much as an apology.

Course... me being from the East coast, area technically, I'm supposed to be the one that's pushy right? LOL "Hey I'm Walkin Here!"
        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
          [ducks under table]

In my tourist experience... some japanese tourists tend to be oblivious to their surroundings.

That's my nice way of saying those individuals have bumped in to me without acknowleging that they did or cutting in line (AS A GROUP) and even dare i say it... stepping on my feet without so much as an apology.
          I've found Chinese tourists to be far worse than the Japanese.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

**Please note, the conversation I had at work was funny, hope this thread doesn't turn ugly.

Get real.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

Get real.
              heheheh....
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                hate to admit it, but I pay no attention to where they come from, but I umm...keep on my toes when the person is Caucasian. I'm just waaaaiting for them to show me how things are "supposed to be done."

[shots fired]
                Frankly, ML, I'm glad you're willing to admit this out loud. Even if the behavior you described is a stereotype and a generalization (which means you know it can't be accurately applied to all), there might be a kernel of truth in it. I'm not going to sit here and make a reverse generalization about Caucasians NOT doing that, either - it would be equally inaccurate.

BUT, I can safely say that "my way is the best way" attitudes are not the sole property of any particular ethnic, racial, religious, cultural or geo-political group. Everyone tends to think that what's familiar to them is what's best in some fashion or another. Northerners do it when they travel in the American South, Chinese citizens do it when traveling in Europe, residents of Hawai`i do it when they are on the Mainland.

Only way to deal with it is to step outside your comfort zones when you are in an environment that is new or unfamiliar to you. Observe "local" ways with an attitude of "I don't recognize doing this that way - but I'm willing to give it a try." Keep awareness of your own attitudes, because you can't do a damn thing about anyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                  Course... me being from the East coast, area technically, I'm supposed to be the one that's pushy right? LOL "Hey I'm Walkin Here!"
                  You are where you come from.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    You are where you come from.
                    No matter where you go, there you are.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Oooo! Oooo!!

Condo Commandos!

Doesn't matter what ethnicity they are or location they originated from, seems like the all have the same attitude.

Comment

The NY Times tackled the issue in the Travel section just this past week. Of course, they were looking at international travel as opposed to domestic, but it looks like the era of the "Ugly American" tourist has been superceded by the "Ugly Chinese" tourist. My personal favorites were always the "Euro Trash". They Came, They Toured, They Offended

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post

[shots fired]
                          Yeah. Me too. (Shots successfully deflected.)

Comment

Deleted---falls under the heading of "why the hell bother?"
                            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 06:33 PM. Reason: tired of banging head against wall

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                              And just what is it with the PC "caucasian" label being bandied about the forum? To me it sounds exquisitely euphemistic and vacuous, especially when the application implies another less generous moniker.
                              honestly, I've gradually moved to using "Caucasian" more than "haole" because I'd be a hypocrite to continue using "haole." I kinda don't like being referred to as a "Flip," "monkey," "dog eater," and worse, when on the mainland, "n_ _ _ _r".
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X