• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leave the islands to the locals?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Yup. And yup.

Bwaaaaahaahaah! Who told you that?

No. Stay home.
    My feelings, exactly. Traffic has quadrupled in my area in the last year. Someone builds a road, and clowns are like, "hey, why not build 3058 more subdivisions along this road?"
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
      First of all, please no one take offense to this and I am not mad or anything when writing this but there's something that has been bugging me.

I was planning to move to Hawaii but I read about all these people moving there. My problem now is, is everyone moving there taking good jobs away from the locals? Also housing and ETC. I also heard that locals get some type of credit to make up the difference of living cost from the government.

I would feel like absolute sh$t if I moved to Oahu and was all happy when someone lost a chance for getting a good job. I have a good job where I am at and now just thinking that, maybe just visiting Hawaii and leave the island to the locals might be a better situation.

Am I wrong for thinking this?
      What if those good jobs exist because some other mainlander moved to Hawaii and created them. Do locals have a claim on those?
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        What if those good jobs exist because some other mainlander moved to Hawaii and created them. Do locals have a claim on those?
        There are job openings here because they need to be filled. They should be filled by those who are most qualified to fill them. Mainland transplant or local, let the person who is most qualified win.

You'll probably find that preference is given to qualified locals anyway. Not necessarily out of warm and fuzzy feelings---just good business sense, considering that the average stay of a transplanted professional (of any profession) in Hawaii is about eighteen months.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          There are job openings here because they need to be filled. They should be filled by those who are most qualified to fill them. Mainland transplant or local, let the person who is most qualified win.

You'll probably find that preference is given to qualified locals anyway. Not necessarily out of warm and fuzzy feelings---just good business sense, considering that the average stay of a transplanted professional (of any profession) in Hawaii is about eighteen months.
          I work for the State of California. California actively recruits on college campuses around the nation to entice qualified applicants to relocate and thereby hire the best people from the largest pool. Does the State of Hawaii do that? Hell no. They require that you reside in the State for a year before you can even apply except in cases of extreme shortages of applicants. How does that serve the majority of residents?
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

I believe in the best person for the job. From anywhere. I personally don't like the development that has occured on Oahu but, I neither own the land or have much say in the matter. There's a difference in who lives in Hawaii and who owns Hawaii. So if a person can afford a dwelling here and find a job to sustain it, that is you're right to do so. Obviously the people who own Hawaii has made it available to you. I just hope the people who migrate here are nice. I think I have the right to do the same in any of the other 49 states. I respect the laws of the U.S. and although its not perfect, I don't see a better system out there.

Comment

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
              I believe in the best person for the job. From anywhere. I personally don't like the development that has occured on Oahu but, I neither own the land or have much say in the matter. There's a difference in who lives in Hawaii and who owns Hawaii. So if a person can afford a dwelling here and find a job to sustain it, that is you're right to do so. Obviously the people who own Hawaii has made it available to you. I just hope the people who migrate here are nice. I think I have the right to do the same in any of the other 49 states. I respect the laws of the U.S. and although its not perfect, I don't see a better system out there.
              I personally have no problem attempting to homegrow qualified applicants through scholarship and/or apprenticeship. But giving preference to locals simply because they are locals by placing obstacles to potentially more qualified outlanders seems a disservice to the people of Hawaii.

Comment

Hmmmmm....Jobs are jobs. Anyone who meets the qualifications and can do the job should get the job. Example: HPD recruits from all over the United States. In the 156 Cadet Class there were many Local and a handful of Recruits from the Conus. More than 1/2 of the Cadets were eliminated. The Cadets from the Conus are ALL graduating on July 11th.

It doesn't matter where one comes from. There are Jobs!!! If you want to work ~ and you have the skills as well as the drive in what you want to achieve, you will make it no matter where you go.

Just my 2cents.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I personally have no problem attempting to homegrow qualified applicants through scholarship and/or apprenticeship. But giving preference to locals simply because they are locals by placing obstacles to potentially more qualified outlanders seems a disservice to the people of Hawaii.
                  Yes I agree! I think your idea of scholarships and/or apprenticeship programs to promote homegrown applicants are good ones. And while I would prefer locals, I prefer abilities even more. If local people truly care about Hawaii, they will lose this "It's who you know, not what you know" mentality. In the long run, in a competetive world, it's always what you know. Cronyism and nepotism, is bad for Hawaii. Captitalism and developing our ability to compete in the global world is good for Hawaii.

Comment

I also heard that locals get some type of credit to make up the difference of living cost from the government.
                    Nothing from the government (that I can think of), but perhaps whoever told you that was thinking of the "kama`aina discounts" that some places give if you show proof of residency here?
                    A lot less of those discounts being offered these days, sadly...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Am I wrong for thinking this....

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                      You have a good heart for even thinking that far into things.
                      True dat.

To me, the jobs here are fair game to all. Besides there are lots of local people here who are leaving the islands for "better" opportunities on the mainland.

Comment

Of course, how do you define "locals?"

* People who were born in Hawai`i and never lived anywhere else?
                        * People who were born in Hawai`i, but who lived elsewhere and then returned?
                        * People who have family and roots in the Islands, even if they were born Mainland but now live Hawai`i?
                        * Anyone who has lived in the Islands for at least 20 years, no matter their origin?
                        * Anyone who doesn't honk their car horn?
                        * Anyone who isn't originally a Mainland haole? (There are many who would pick this option - even if they won't say so.)

Of course, you could always answer my question with the popular evasive reply: "If you gotta ask, you'll never know the answer."

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          That observation matches with my own experience... but I've never seen any hard statistics to back it up. Do you have some? If so, I would love to know so I can use 'em too!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Nothing from the government (that I can think of), but perhaps whoever told you that was thinking of the "kama`aina discounts" that some places give if you show proof of residency here?
                            A lot less of those discounts being offered these days, sadly...

And just how many times do you need to go to the zoo or take a submarine ride?

And no, I have no hard statistics to back up the local vs mainland transplant hiring preference observation. The standard rationale for the practice is as I stated above---the propensity of transplants to leave Hawaii after less than two years here. Of course, there may be other reasons (oh say it isn't so).
                            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Some people might not like this answer, but I would say as a business sense, the majority goes to the locals. It only makes sense that opening a business that serves the public would benefit from people from that area.

Someone mentioned about traffic getting worse since more housing is being built around highways. Over population is a major problem in Japan and in China, looking at those countries as examples, the results are very disturbing.

Lack of space and food can only bring down the economy. Pollution and garbage even becomes a problem.

Drive around and imagine the area being over populated by 5 times it is now, long lines are the grocery markets, over crowded beaches to a point that, as being someone from the area, wouldn't even enjoy living there.

I might sound like a bastard, but I say leave the islands to the locals.

Comment

I might sound like a bastard, but I say leave the islands to the locals.

Alrighty. Declare that all transplants, regardless of origin, pack up and head on back to where they came from. Deny all locals passage to the mainland. Return all locals to the islands. (Turnabout is fair play, after all.)

Then everything will fall gently into place, peace shall reign, and all will live happily ever after.

Of course, a good 75% or so of the nurses on my unit would be gone. So would a good chunk of nursing students. But it would all work out, I'm sure, eventually. Once all the defecting locally-born nurses were dragged kicking and screaming from their better-paying jobs in Northern California the staffing here would start to even out. After enough local-born nursing instructors were trained (most of the ones I see here are from the Phillippines or the mainland) things would get back on track. Lab staff would be a problem, too, along with....oh, you get the picture.

But it would be better. Really it would.

On a social note, all non-locally-born relatives of folks living here should be sent back to where they came from, too. Just to keep things fair, of course. Aloha, Tata---we love you dearly but ya just gotta go!

Yes, getting rid of all folks who were not born here would be a real good thing. Let's draw up a proposal and present it to the legislature.

Comment

Working...
                                X