Clear All

Re: Favorite Candy

also

Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
      pictures are worth 1000 words.
      What is interesting about those Violet Mints: I believe those are manufactured somewhere here on the East Coast, yet when I go home to Hawaii, I see other varieties of those mints for sale (at Long's), from the same manufacturer, that I've never seen for sale here!

The British are big into violet flavored candy. Swizzles-Matlow, a large confectioner in the UK, sells a candy called "Parma Violets", which are similar to the violet candy you've pictured. I think the only difference is price... Parma Violets are sold in much larger rolls at a lower price.

Comment

When I was a small kid, my grandmother always had these fruit slices that were like a gel, with a sugar coating - I used to love those! Also, there are candies that come from Washington State that I think are called Applets? kind of powdered sugar coated squared of flavored chewy stuff? I also love those! but my favorite will always be anything in dark chocolate.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I like those fruit slice gel things too...particularly the Sunkist Fruit Gems.

Favorite of all-time? The now-extinct Ghirardelli Flicks.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            When I was a small kid, my grandmother always had these fruit slices that were like a gel, with a sugar coating - I used to love those! Also, there are candies that come from Washington State that I think are called Applets? kind of powdered sugar coated squared of flavored chewy stuff? I also love those! but my favorite will always be anything in dark chocolate.
            Ganong, a confectionary company from New Brunswick (Canada), makes a sugar-coated soft gel candy with real fruit and no artificial flavors. In fact, I'm looking at a box of them now. The candy is known as "Fruitful", and the flavors of the gel candy are: peach, raspberry, kiwi, lemon, strawberry, and orange. Fruitfuls are probably the best jelly candies I've ever had.

About the Applets. I've had those...I believe that confection is a very simple concoction of dried apples, walnuts, and powdered sugar. I think there is also an apricot-based version of them as well. I'm going to go out on a limb and just about guarantee that Miulang knows about this candy and where it's made in Washington.

Comment

I have to say that my favorite candies of all times are Tomoe Rice Candy, Plain M&M's, Reese's peanut butter cups, Raisinets, and Snowcaps, and much much more.
              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Aplets and cotlets. Like an Indian sweetmeat made with rosewater, only from apples and apricots. Maybe I can find a recipe....
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chocolate and Coconut is one of my faorite combination....food of the gods as far as I'm concerned. I love Haystacks....

Also...Madazza...you mentioned Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bars....Kryptonite to me. Cadbury Chocolate in general is pretty amazing stuff.

Then there is the Hershey's Symphony Toffee Chip/Milk Chocolate combo.
                  In general I prefer Nestle's to hershey's chocolate.

I love chocolate and peppermint stuff too, like Ande's.

Then there is Reese's....I prefer the mini reeses peanut butter cups...better chocolate to PB ratio.

Pomia, you had to get me started....I'm a bit of a candy-holic.

What about Oh Henry Bars ?
                  or 100 Grand Bars ?
                  Someone mentioned Raisinettes....ALWAYS at the movies.

It's endless, great, now I gotta go get some chocolate.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Oh, I forgot, someone put a pic of those DOVE chocolate squares....AMAZING.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Lokum (Turkish Delight)

4 cups granulated sugar
                      4 1/2 cups water
                      1 teaspoon lemon juice
                      1 cup cornstarch
                      1 teaspoon cream of tartar
                      1-2 tablespoons rosewater
                      red food colouring
                      1/2 cup chopped, toasted, unblanched almonds
                      3/4 cup powdered sugar
                      1/4 cup cornstarch

1. Combine sugar, 1 1/2 cups water, and lemon juice in a thick-based pan. Stir over low heat, until sugar dissolves, brushing sugar chrystals off side of pan with a bristle brush dipped in cold water.

2. Bring to the boil and boil to the soft-ball stage (115°f, 240°c) on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.

3. In another thick-based pan, blend cornstarch, cream of tartar, and 1 cup cold water til smooth. Boil remaining 2 cups of water and stir into cornstarch mixture, then place over heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles, using a balloon whisk if lumps form.

4. Pour hot syrup gradually into hot cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 1 1/4 hours. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon and cook until the mixture is a pale golden colour. Stirring is essential.

5. Stir in the rose water to taste and add a few drops of food colouring to tinge it a pale pink. Blend in nuts, if used, and remove from heat.

6. Pour into an oiled 23 cm (9 inch square) cake pan and leave for 12 hours to set.

7. Combine the powdered sugar and the 1/4 cup cornstarch in a flat dish.

8. Cut Turkish Delight into squares with an oiled knife and toss into the sugar mixture. Store in a sealed container with the remaining sugar mixture sprinkled between layers.

Variations:
                      Creme de Menthe Lokum...Replace rose water and red food colouring with 2 tablespoons Creme de Menthe liqueur and a little green food color. Omit nuts.
                      Orange Lokum...Use 1-2 tablespoons orange flower water instaed of rose water. Colour orange.
                      Vanilla Lokum...Use 2 teaspoons vanilla essence instead of rose water and colouring, and stir in 1/2 cup of toasted chopped almonds or walnuts. Do not blanch almonds.

This comes from Tess Mallos' book, 'The Complete Middle East Cookbook'.

So....use your imagination for the apple and apricot variety....or guava, or mango, or cinnamon, or Amaretto, or...

Comment

Please! Will someone send me a candy thermometer? I gotta try this!

Comment

At the movies I always always always have to have my Snocaps.

When not at the movies I'm addicted to Kit Kats and Nestle Crunch White Chocolate. As far as non-chocolate candy goes -- I love Oompas and Green and Purple Skittles.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I have two fave kine candies.....da chocolate kine and da non-chocolate kine!

For the chocolate....it's gotta be DARK CHOCOLATE! Plain or not, it don't matter!

And for my fave non-chocolate candy....it's gummy bears covered with Li Hing Mui powder!!!
                            Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                              Please! Will someone send me a candy thermometer? I gotta try this!
                              I will, if you PM me with your address.

And as soon as I figure out what a "candy thermometer" is.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                                Someone mentioned Raisinettes....ALWAYS at the movies.
                                At the movies, I love Junior Mints. Funny thing is, I never eat 'em anywhere else. Just at the movies.

(Points to ponder.)

Comment

Working...
                                X