Google buying out YouTube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google buying out YouTube?

If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em up! (Also a phrase used often at Microsoft). Rumored value of the YouTube deal: $1.6 billion. Will success ruin YouTube?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Google buying out YouTube?

Interesting. The Google Video service isn't quite there yet, but it's a fairly sturdy offering for something developed in-house and can easily be tweaked and improved. While I'm no fan of Mark Cuban, he's got some good points when he concluded earlier, "Only a 'moron' would buy YouTube."
    Cuban said "anyone who buys that (YouTube) is a moron" because of potential lawsuits from copyright violations. "There is a reason they haven't yet gone public, they haven't sold. It's because they are going to be toasted," said Cuban, who has sold start-ups to Yahoo and CompuServe. YouTube, which has nearly one-third of the U.S. Web video audience, three times that of Google, or twice that of News Corp.'s MySpace, has been working on signing licensing deals with music companies and TV networks to ensure they are paid when users view their content.
    Then again, lots of other "hot sites" are changing hands, from MySpace to Facebook, and if you've got the money to burn, why not? I swear, it's like 1997 all over again.

Comment

Yep, its true. Google bought youtube for $1.65 billion.

n a statement, Google said that YouTube will operate as an independent unit of Google once the deal closes and will retain the YouTube brand name. The companies added that no YouTube workers will lose their jobs as a result of the acquisition and that Google will maintain its own online video business.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
        Yep, its true. Google bought youtube for $1.65 billion.
        and there goes the cyberhood...

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          and there goes the cyberhood...

Miulang
          Well, atleast it compensates for the rumor about Nvidia getting boughtout by Intel - which I wouldn't mind seeing (even though I'm an ATI/AMD fanboy.)
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I just heard it referred as GooTube... lol.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em up! (Also a phrase used often at Microsoft). Rumored value of the YouTube deal: $1.6 billion. Will success ruin YouTube?

Miulang

Well it sure hasn't ruined the success of YouTube's founder(s). They should have video taped the transfer of ownership and put it on YouTube.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i bet they were glad to get out alive. and filthy stinking rich.... the copyright issues seem like a headache to me--- how much of that material is accounting for the overall traffic? not to mention the competition in the streaming video space closing in.
                life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
                  i bet they were glad to get out alive. and filthy stinking rich.... the copyright issues seem like a headache to me--- how much of that material is accounting for the overall traffic? not to mention the competition in the streaming video space closing in.
                  I've always wondered how the copyright issues were going to play upon YouTube's right to broadcast the stuff for profit.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Well it sure hasn't ruined the success of YouTube's founder(s). They should have video taped the transfer of ownership and put it on YouTube.
                    Here's their very casual announcement!
                    I've always wondered how the copyright issues were going to play upon YouTube's right to broadcast the stuff for profit.
                    I've started noticing more and more videos are being removed because of this issue.

Comment

I always wondered about releases.

Some of that stuff on YouTube seems like it would be awfully embarrassing to the subjects.

Question: can a person request that a YouTube video be removed, on the basis that it is embarrassing and may cause harm to the subject, on a personal or professional level?

I am thinking of stuff like the video of the drunk and barfing tourist that Manoa put on YouTube.

Unless that guy was an exceptionally good sport, I would imagine that he would not be all that pleased with having the world see him in such a state, on holiday or not.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        I always wondered about releases.

Some of that stuff on YouTube seems like it would be awfully embarrassing to the subjects.

Question: can a person request that a YouTube video be removed, on the basis that it is embarrassing and may cause harm to the subject, on a personal or professional level?

I am thinking of stuff like the video of the drunk and barfing tourist that Manoa put on YouTube.

Unless that guy was an exceptionally good sport, I would imagine that he would not be all that pleased with having the world see him in such a state, on holiday or not.
                        Your not talking about this one are you????
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCS8I_StPc

Turn up your volume and listen to HIS OWN FRIENDS COMMENTS....

And I did TELL HIM it was going to be YOUTUBED.... turn up the volume on the speaker now.....

(p.s. I also told his friend the keyword that it would be youtubed under.....haven't heard back from him)

If he can sue me for shooting a public video on a beach... can I in return press charges against the guy for drinking underage on a public beach?
                        Last edited by damontucker; October 9, 2006, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Why in the heck would anyone want to videotape (or, God forbid, watch a vid of) someone throwing up?

Ugh.

And then put it on YouTube?

(Nancy Kerrigan)

Why? Why? Why?

(/Nancy Kerrigan)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I've started noticing more and more videos are being removed because of this issue.
                            Most of the videos that are slowly being removed are either music videos or snippets from television shows. The music videos are what draws me to youtube, since I can look at many videos that I haven't seen for years and new ones that may be of interest. VH1 and MTV don't show videos on regular rotation anymore unless you buy digital cable to get their supplemental channels. So for me, YouTube fills that void. Plus I like the fact that you can embed youtube videos into your own web pages.

Copyright issues aside, like the $19 tickets offered from Go, I am going along with the embed ride YouTube offers end users until Google either discontinues it or the music videos are pulled.

Didn't YouTube or Google recently ink a deal with WB Music to offer videos?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Google inked deals with Warner and Sony to promote their music videos. Deals that would allow inclusion of their material in user-submitted content is apparently the next step.

YouTube separately signed a deal with Warner prior to the Google aquisition:
                              The agreement means that millions of YouTube users can legally watch music videos or include popular songs in their own homemade videos that they post on YouTube.
                              At the time, Universal was in similar talks, but otherwise threatening legal action.

People were saying that no one was really suing YouTube because YouTube had no assets to go after. Now YouTube has some of the deepest pockets out there. But it looks like Google's going to try and stay in front of the kind of legal perfect storm that killed Napster and other outfits by acquiring licenses and sharing the wealth.

Comment

Working...
                              X