they really out to get a back-up generator to back up what they say

if you are going to talk the talk ... then be ready to walk the walk
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Das Funny.

My first good hard "Laugh" today!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: severe weather station?

Interesting choice of topic for discussion for your first post.

In KGMB's defense, though...

How do we know that it's something related to the power outage? What if the earthquake caused damage that prevented them from going on-air earlier?
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: severe weather station?

good question?

how do we know if it was just a power outage problem?

we have a journalist ask them and find out --- or perhaps they could explain it to us
        in a news story
        Last edited by honokai; October 15, 2006, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Re: Severe Weather Station?

IMHO, as a news viewer, as I clicked between stations 10pm coverage last night, KGMB seemed to be the least together out of all the stations. The anchors appeared to be ad-libbing a lot of things as opposed to KITV and KHON, which pretty much presented their broadcasts normally. There were also some technical booo-boos as well. It seemed like KITV had most of their staff in to provide coverage, which is what one would like to expect from a media outlet in a crisis like yesterday's.

Comment

Sundays at TV stations: youngsters, interns, minimum wagers, I suspect KGMB had a bit of that going on. Let's all be glad this happened on a Sunday. I never got power until 11:30 last night anyway, so didn't have to tune in to the news. I suspect this was a day when the media flew by the seat of its pants.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

More than 24 hours later, and KGMB's website still hasn't been updated! Go to KGMB.com -- it's like the earthquake never happened! Unbelievable.

KITV is cleaning everyone's clocks -- they have dominated coverage through and through. Kudos to them.

Comment

Originally posted by honokai View Post
                what is with KGMB and all their noise about being the severe weather station?
                Is there a primary television station for EAS? I know there is for radio, but I'm not sure if there's one for the TV side. If that's the case, I don't think they are allowed to advertise the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by drmikela View Post

KITV is cleaning everyone's clocks -- they have dominated coverage through and through. Kudos to them.
                  This comment and something I posted earlier got me thinking.....
                  Screw the competition.....I think it would be in the best interests of the general public if the stations all got together and pooled their resources in a time of disaster like a earthquake or hurricane. People need to know. Who gives a flying !@#% if you've outscooped the other stations if there are potential dangers or bad situations for the people of the state? Who cares if you are the only one with a live shot up and peole are in need of help? What good is it if only one station is on the air and others are scrambling to get their signal and stations up? If someone is already up, use that station to get the word out.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                    If someone is already up, use that station to get the word out.
                    Pardon me, but ... doesn’t this already happen by default? KITV became the go-to station, and had solid coverage without any help from the other crews. Mainland stations picked up their video, and local viewers with electricity tuned in. Besides, local news stations already pool their resources with amateur video.

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take two steps forward. For stations like KGMB9, maybe it’s a lesson learned. Namely, buy a back-up generator.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

My point is that instead of the other stations other than KITV trying to get their signal up and people together, they should have had their folks working with KITV since that was the only station up. Instead, as in KGMB's case, they tried to use a makeshift set while KITV was already up and running. Forget competing and get the story out.

Comment

Looks like KGMB tries to make up for their loss by airing a half-hour special "Hawaii After The Shock" at 6:30 tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Besides, local news stations already pool their resources with amateur video.
                          No they don't. If they have "exclusive" footage from an amateur video source, they aren't gonna share that with anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                            If they have "exclusive" footage from an amateur video source, they aren't gonna share that with anybody.
                            That’s a big if. Exclusive video generally comes from people who got lucky (tourists, hobbyists, etc.). Not the usual stringers the stations frequently rely on consistently for outer-island footage. If you watch enough news, you’ll figure this out, eventually.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Yesterday, KGMB was showing a clip from a security camera taken during the earthquake. They had a logo on it that said "Only on 9", but KITV had the same clip. I wonder why they thought it was exclusive to them?
                              Last edited by Richfuel; October 20, 2006, 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
                              Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Working...
                              X