How can we stop pedestrian accidents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we stop pedestrian accidents?

I have been thinking about ways to prevent pedestrian accidents. I agree that drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians should pay a $97 fine and that pedestrians who jaywalk should pay a $70 fine. I think it would be even more effective to put drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians in prison for life without parole because when you don't stop for a pedestrian, you will either kill or seriously injure the pedestrian. IMHO if drivers knew that they would face life without parole in prison for failing to yield to pedestrians, drivers would be a lot more patient, courteous, and careful. They would leave early so that they would not be in a hurry to get to their destination. Those pedestrian fatalities are utterly inexcusable. Another way to stop pedestrian accidents would be to lower the speed limits so that drivers would not drive so fast that they can't see pedestrians.

Re: How can we stop pedestrian accidents?

Pedestrians who challenge cars are basically stupid, right-of-way be damned.

Most of the folks who have been run over this year were outside of a crosswalk and decided to "chance um."

They lost.

Then again, I hate these people driving with one hand on the wheel and the other hand glued to their ear. Causing injury or death with your automobile while talking on a cell phone should be an imprisonable offense. Talking on the phone and driving do not mix.
    Last edited by MonkeyMan; March 6, 2007, 04:37 AM. Reason: Second thoughts...
    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

There seems to be a coincidence in some of these pedestrian fatalities. At least, where there are multiple lanes and crosswalks without the benefit of traffic lights: It seems we have one driver who recognizes the duty to stop when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. Then we have the driver in the car in the next lane who either:
      1. Isn't paying attention
      2. Sees it as an opportunity to scrape off that car, so accelerates
      3. Is hopeful they'll get through before the sloth of a pedestrian gets to their lane.
      4. Hit and run?

I told my husband that I thought that maybe the morning accidents were caused in part by drivers facing the glaring sun. But these happen all day. I think Hawaii will top the charts, if it doesn't already, in national rankings of pedestrian fatalities. Sad. Slow down and pay attention.

Something does need to be done. Traffic lights, although a pain in the butt and expensive, are probably the only way all cars will be stopped for pedestrians.

I've also noticed not too many drivers are aware that a new law that went into effect requires that drivers not enter the half of the road where a pedestrian is crossing. I think this is mostly to do with intersections. But still, do you ever cross an intersection and a vehicle is creeping at you, creeping, creeping, like "come on you pain in the butt pedestrian, MOVE IT before I make you a hood ornament!"
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
        put drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians in prison for life without parole
        That would seem to be an awfully expensive way to deal with the issue. Not to mention an explosion in prison population. Better to spend that money on building pedestrian overpasses IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          But still, do you ever cross an intersection and a vehicle is creeping at you, creeping, creeping, like "come on you pain in the butt pedestrian, MOVE IT before I make you a hood ornament!"
          I used to be that pain-in-the-butt pedestrian, with a holier-than-thou, screw-you-I-have-the-right-of-way-mentality. I used to stare down drivers who dared threaten my crossing rights (ONLY at intersections, I might add, never mid-block.) I used to do worse things that I won't talk about here.

The key words are "used to." I don't do that anymore. A few moments of righteous indignation vs. the risk of death or serious injury --- it took me a while to finally do the math on that equation.

Sure, I may have the right-of-way. Sure, the law may be on my side. I don't want to have that be my only comfort in a hospital bed. I am a far more courteous pedestrian these days (and I've always been a courteous driver, cognizant of the damage a vehicle under my control is capable of wreaking.)

Comment

An 80something lady was killed yesterday afternoon about mile from my home; in front of my home (condo) being the area where another pedestrian was killed last week.

This innocent lady WAS in a crosswalk, albeit no signal. One car stopped; another car didn't see the pedestrian and didn't slow down. Maybe the driver who didn't stop thought the stopped car was making a turn and decided to go around it instead of getting caught behind it. I don't know. That's just a thought. It wasn't a hit and run. I had a condo assoc. meeting to attend last night about a half block from the accident. The police were still on the scene 3 hours later, traffic flow on Farrington was still reduced to 2 lanes and they were still interviewing possible witnesses in the parking lot where the condo owners needed to park.

I find myself becoming a tentative driver and a tentative pedestrian. I feel new anxiety when I walk out the door to head for my car. I don't like that feeling. I'm becoming hyper vigilant which distracts from my driving rather than improving it. The streets are a scary place now. I don't like that either.

And I have no idea how to stop this problem.

Comment

Only way is to separate the two. Mayor needs to raise our taxes, again, to build underground. They already have one on Pali Hwy. in front of the hongwanji so their members can cross to the school campus and back. Also got one at Fort St. Mall, although it's located kinda out of the way. Not on one of the main intersections like Fort St. and King. ....and these have been there for ages.

Face it, too many don't give a darn about the laws or being courteous. Innattentive drivers speed, bikes are ridden on sidewalks and on the wrong side of the road, pedestrians don't pay attention and mek attitude, mopeds are caught in a grey area between bikes and cars and get yelled at by both then scolded by cops. Hurry up and rush. Wikiwikichopchop.

As there is already one car per household member, now, and the elderly population escalates and the general population increases, it won't come to any satisfactory end anytime soon and fines and jail terms aren't going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                Only way is to separate the two. Mayor needs to raise our taxes, again, to build underground. They already have one on Pali Hwy. in front of the hongwanji so their members can cross to the school campus and back. Also got one at Fort St. Mall, although it's located kinda out of the way. Not on one of the main intersections like Fort St. and King. ....and these have been there for ages.

Face it, too many don't give a darn about the laws or being courteous. Innattentive drivers speed, bikes are ridden on sidewalks and on the wrong side of the road, pedestrians don't pay attention and mek attitude, mopeds are caught in a grey area between bikes and cars and get yelled at by both then scolded by cops. Hurry up and rush. Wikiwikichopchop.

As there is already one car per household member, now, and the elderly population escalates and the general population increases, it won't come to any satisfactory end anytime soon and fines and jail terms aren't going to work.
                Yep, pretty much pedestrian overpasses or underpasses seem to be the long term viable solution.

Comment

Not only drivers, but pedestrians also gotta help by wearing light colored clothes. I know I'm a broken record on that, but I see too much people (or atleast in the nick of time with my brights on) wearing dark colored clothings while crossing the streets - even if they're in a crosswalk.

The city can also do its part by putting more street lights, maybe around the crosswalks themselves.
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

As a DRIVER, here's an idea...

Place a pedestrian law bumper sticker on your car. Here I basically took the layout from the original HPD flyer and reformatted it into a bumper sticker prototype.

Reason? There's been countless times that I patiently wait for a pedestrian to completely cross my side of the street, then drivers behind my stopped car get mad at ME!

They'll rev their engines and/or jolt around me while giving ME "stink eye" (and the bird once) as they go speeding by. These impatient drivers either still aren't aware of or don't honor the new law.

Having this on the rear bumper of my car will not only increase public awareness, it will also remind drivers behind me why I'm stopped!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We always hear in Hawaii that we do EVERYTHING with the "ALOHA SPIRIT", let's all remember to drive that way too.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        [...]Reason? There's been countless times that I patiently wait for a pedestrian to completely cross my side of the street, then drivers behind my stopped car get mad at ME!

They'll rev their engines and/or jolt around me while giving ME "stink eye" (and the bird once) as they go speeding by. These impatient drivers either still aren't aware of or don't honor the new law.[...]
                        Those kinda drivers won't care about the law. Impatience is impatience. The bumper sticker's a great idea, Pomai, but there will always be impatient drivers who think it doesn't apply to them.

I, too, have had impatient drivers behind me in the same situation. They can rev, honk, flip or stink all they want! Doesn't faze me one iota when I know I'm in the right. Karma will smack 'em good eventually!

Comment

All the crosswalks that are independent of stoplights should be removed. There are too many crosswalks in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I know, SLOW DOWN!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

I do believe that we should have many unmarked HPD vehicles strictly looking for violators (be it vehicles or pedestrians).

If this program was advertised to the public, I'd think it would put more people on guard and be more courteous.

On a side note, that small island at the intersection of Punchbowl and So. Beretania St (where vehicles go mauka up on Punchbowl) should be eliminated!

Even with their own traffic lights, pedestrians and drivers are unsure as to each other's intent, and let the pedestrians cross onto the mauka/dh corner of the street when really, it's the drivers that have the right of way!

Comment

Working...
                              X