Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Ali`i

Default CompUSA parking fiasco

Has anyone on HT received the email exposing the Ala Moana CompUSA's parking policy? It's quite lengthy and is being discussed in a Mac email list group I subscribe to. Someone has already checked out the story and reported it's true. Scary stuff. If anyone feels I should copy and paste it to HT I'm happy to do it. Thought I'd ask first!
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: CompUSA parking fiasco

Post it! Nope, I haven't heard a thing about this.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:37 PM
Kumu

It's been filling up the messageboard at Craigslist Honolulu for the past couple of days.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:53 PM
Ali`i

Keanu...since the email is so lengthy, can you please post the Craiglist URL? I couldn't find the discussion. Thanx...
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Kumu

Here are a couple of links....

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/rnr/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/7011/page/1
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu View Post
Thanks, Keanu. This link is the same as the email.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

I read all those comments, and it doesn't sound especially newsworthy to me. What is it about the story that catches your interest, sue?
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I read all those comments, and it doesn't sound especially newsworthy to me. What is it about the story that catches your interest, sue?
I can't speak for Sue, but it caught my interest because it was just another case of the "big bad corporation" picking on the little guy.

It's being posted and reposted by everyone on my friends list on MySpace and even though the author's daughter and Lily violated CompUSA's parking rules, people are being so quick to take action and get pissy because they sympathize with the regular people supposedly being screwed over.

While I do feel for her daughter and for Lily and the fact that I refuse to ever shop at that CompUSA (or any other one for that matter) because of their extremely [insert expletive here] service, they did violate the store's parking rule. Instead of "Boycott CompUSA," she should try and focus on a more realistic goal and see if she can get 24/7 Towing shut down.

I wonder if she really is in trouble because she was allegedly writing her complaints during work time?

And finally, I'm no PR expert, but considering Ms. Aldinger's profession, I thought she could have done a better job with her written complaint, sorry.
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Ali`i

Newsworthy or not...It's just plain rotten.

CompUSA is in some financial trouble as well. closing stores and so on, this will definitely NOT help them in the public eye.

Isn't there some sort of person keeping track of who's parking there, like a lot attendant or a tire marker or something ?

Even worse is the towing company...THEY are the real criminals here, it's sounds like to me.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
Ali`i

Following the links, it looks like the real bad guy is the towing comp. They failed to properly follow up when a customer is there to claim their car.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Ali`i

If you root through the comments at that complaintboard link above, you'll find a message from the GM of the tow service, and his version of the story is (predictably) different.

Lei, what about the "little guy" who actually plans to shop at CompUSA but can never get a stall there because all the other little guys are parking there to go conduct business at Restaurant Row or at Homeland Security?

I'm not defending the store; in those hours before opening, it should cut people some slack. However, it sounds like there are a lot of sides to this story and I wouldn't be quick to pick a side.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Wow. That thing needs an executive summary.
  • They parked in CompUSA's parking lot before the store was open, and walked to a competing retail establishment with which I am certain CompUSA already has an adversarial parking relationship.
  • They got their cars towed, including a rental car.
  • They had a hard time getting their cars back, because the tow company sucked.
I love the little details... like how small and unintimidating Lily is. And the extensive testimonials from perfect strangers about how mean the tow company guy was.

All tow companies are rotten. So don't park where you shouldn't. I mean, I got towed all the time living in Waikiki, and you know what? It was my own damned fault.

CompUSA is not Manoa Marketplace. I really love that comparative detail. I'm adding it to my "People in Manoa Live in an Alternate Universe" file. GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY! GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY! Sheesh.

"The whole ordeal took us nearly 3 hours," writes Charlene Aldinger. I shudder to think how long it took to write that all up. (Let alone for others to read it.) Yet she seems to focus most of her ire at CompUSA, which seems in the right here, rather than the tow guy, against whom all kinds of legitimate gripes could be made (except, again, that all tow guys suck). And as someone noted, a boycott of CompUSA seems a bit silly, since the company is doing a fine job of putting itself out of business already.
Quote:
If you root through the comments at that complaintboard link above, you'll find a message from the GM of the tow service, and his version of the story is (predictably) different.
Wow. I hadn't even gotten to the comments. That's the best part of this whole thing. Folks affiliated with CompUSA are coming out of the woodwork, some to say "you got what you deserved" and others with an axe to grind with current management. Other supposed witnesses (claiming they went all the way down to the Federal Building, not to Restaurant Row) are surfacing. And now all manner of mention of Aldinger's employer, Bishop Museum. Dave Domzalski of 24 7 Parkinc. 24 7 Tow notes that she even invoked her employer during her rants.

Considering the overall tone of the "Complaints Board" site, I'm actually a bit impressed that most folks quickly concluded that Aldinger was in the wrong. So much for finding a sympathetic audience.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
What caught my interest the most is that the incident happened! You don't find many of those on the internet! I really just felt a discussion could be on topic here while it isn't in the Mac email list...altho' it is getting a little attention without anyone screaming "OFF TOPIC"...yet!!! Of course, the list contains Mac vendors so I'm guessing they're luvin' more negative CompUSA comments!!! A member of a neighborhood board on that list verified the story.

While I'm not a fan of that retailer I feel the "bad guy" is the towing company...but I think CompUSA should take some heat for contracting with 24/7.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
Ali`i

I read the entire lengthy first page on that complaint link. That lady Charlene apparently has a legitimate complaint against the towing company, but her anger at CompUSA seems way overblown. I agree with one poster there who wrote that it would've been better for the store to leave a note on the windshield and wait for a couple of hours before towing, but that's as far as I go on this one, especially since other facts seem to be coming out that disprove parts of her original story.
Interesting that she apparently is the PR Director for Bishop Museum. Pretty dumb move on her part to publicize and try to take advantage of that title, since the errand to CompUSA was personal and not on museum business. Her actions have given the museum more of a black eye than it has to CompUSA.
The whole thing is much ado about nothing, with the exception being that some agency should take a hard look at the towing company.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian

I read the exact thing on another local forum.

This is why I think every car should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near cars.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1456 View Post
This is why I think every car should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near cars.
Adrian, I think you might've made a couple of typos in that sentence, and that you meant to write this:

"This is why I think every cart should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near carts."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:01 AM
Ali`i

Since we're next door to CompUSA and we received the original email as a potential letter to the editor, it was widely read in the SB newsroom.

Parking is a problem down here. CompUSA's lot is so big and wide that it's tempting. However, the parking lot is chained off when the store isn't open. If it wasn't, and the folks were waiting for the store to open, then CompUSA bears some responsibility for what happened. (Also, where's that Vietnamese sandwich place?)

Beyond that, the primary jerk appears to be the tow operator. Has anyone met a tow operator who wasn't an A-hole? And why all the way to Waipahu?

You break CompUSA's rules, you get towed. But there's no excuse for the "victims" in this case to be treated that way by the tow operator. This reflects back on CompUSA, rightly or not.
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow
Angry Re: CompUSA parking fiasco

I also read it on another local forum that I belong to.
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM
Kia`aina

A PR director who can't afford to pay for parking that's closer to your errand?

*plays violin with tear in my eye*
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Post Re: CompUSA parking fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
Since we're next door to CompUSA and we received the original email as a potential letter to the editor, it was widely read in the SB newsroom.
Correct me if I’m wrong Burl, but it looks like the Honolulu Advertiser beat you guys to the punch.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

That was a pretty thorough story. Even made Aldinger look reasonable, though her meltdown will probably reach more than the "dozens" cited. (Dozens?) Hope she has her job at Bishop Museum for a good long time, given hiring managers' Google power. Especially since the Advertiser spelled her name "Charlie," not "Charlene" (she uses both) so it might not help much.

Interesting that there was no mention of the $60,000 parking space down the street. It seemed a perfect exhibit to show how insane things are getting.

I wonder what Stacy Aldinger thinks of all this? Or frail little Lily, for that matter!

Last edited by pzarquon; April 1st, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM
Ali`i

It does make Aldinger sound more reasonable, but she's still putting all of the blame on the store, even though she got her refund. She insists that some kind of "reasonable" solution can be arrived at, since so many other customers do what her daughter was doing. Ridiculous.

Quote:
For now, Elton has told 24/7 Park Inc., the tow company he contracted with, that he will request a tow if he needs one.
This sounds a lot less aggressive. Will Aldinger call off her boycott, and will she be as thorough in spreading word about her refund? Pssssh.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-hungry View Post
A PR director who can't afford to pay for parking that's closer to your errand?

*plays violin with tear in my eye*
It wasn't the PR director who got towed. It was her college age daughter. Not that that makes any difference at this point!
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Kumu

It's startling how many here take the position that if what CompUSA did was legal, then it's perfectly okay.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ali`i

I work in a small office building a couple of blocks up South St. from CompUSA. I have a parking space in my building that I pay for monthly. Often, the lot is full and I can't park. It's incredibly frustrating. Management does nothing about it...telling tenants to park on the street til the space frees up! Yah! Right! I pull in and park in the open space perpendicular and very close to 2 cars so the owners have to go from office to office looking for the owner of the white car (me...who has the building's parking tag hanging from my rear view mirror!) to move it! I also photograph the cars with license plates in view in case there's any damage to my car. I see people park and walk off the property all the time. I tell them the lot's patrolled and cars are towed regularly!!!

I completely understand CompUSA's frustration but disagree with their tactics....including 24/7's. It appears the retailer is changing those, for the time being anyway!