Brock Whaley on KPOI FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brock Whaley on KPOI FM

Erika Engle reports this morning Brock Whaley is returning to the Hawaii radio market and will once again be a voice and personality on KPOI FM "The Big Kahuna" classic rock.

B-rock returning to re-rock KPOI-FM and lead sister stations

VETERAN Honolulu broadcaster Brock Whaley, known to rock radio listeners on the old KPOI-FM as "B-Rock," is returning to Honolulu to become director of programming for the five Oahu stations belonging to Maui-based Visionary Related Entertainment LLC.

Effective Wednesday at 5 a.m., he also will be at the helm of the morning show on KPOI-FM 105.9, bringing back to Oahu the witty, irreverent topical commentary for which he is known.
    Longtime listeners of KPOI in its various incarnations at its former location of 97.5 on the FM dial will remember that Brock used to be a longtime air personality during the "98 Rock" days.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Brock Whaley on KPOI FM

Ah, frick.

I really like Brock Whaley, but I just (and I mean in the last hour) wrote in "Ed Kanoi" for my favorite radio personality in the Star-Bulletin reader survey. Gr. Ed, if you're reading this, get back on the air when you can!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Cool... I remember those days. BRock used to have a classic rock band that played at the downtown blockparties years ago. I think he played drums. Anyone remember the name of the band?

Robert Abbett aka Rabbit used to work 98Rock too. He's an estimator for a window company that did my windows.

Comment

Thanks for the linkage, Mel!

-- Erika
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          Anyone remember the name of the band?
          Wouldn't that be "The Electric Lunch Band"?
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Wouldn't that be "The Electric Lunch Band"?
            Bah so simple, yes twas the Electric Lunch Band thanks.

Comment

Au-Rite!

I first heard Brock on the old WSHE in south Florida. He had the thankless job of following the area's most popular DJ after he moved to Miami's top 40 powerhouse Y100. So, needless to say he was sacraficed to the rating Gods and was gone in (I think) 6 months. A couple years later I landed in Hawaii and...wow, there he was! His run at KPOI was longer & more successful and I was a fan the whole time...c'mon, the guy had the nerve (and taste) to play Webb Wilder on his show.

All hail B-Rock!

Comment

Another recycled dj back on-air in the 808.

Comment

I guess the new stock just don't cut it anymore.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I guess Ed is out as morning jock. I read he's going to be consulting for VRE. At least Dave Lawrence will still be on at 2:00. I also read Darah York aka Ah Foon is back with VRE. Ah Foon is an excellent singer and guitar player with his band "Buddhist Priest". I hope they don't change the Classic Rock format. Right now it's a plus for my band because we play the same stuff you hear on the Big Kahuna.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I guess the new stock just don't cut it anymore.
                      Or that all the talented young jocks leave for better opportunities in bigger markets.

Comment

Wife Karen is staying behind in Atlanta, alas....
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Too bad I haven't seen Karen since the KHNR days on Richard Street.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I caught Brock on the way in to work. He sounds the same. Still too much talking. I don't know who Jimmy Mack is, the person who sat in with Brock, but I found him annoying, and Brock doesn't need a foil. Brock can talk up a storm without someone there to encourage him.

Funny moment: just before I got out of the car, Brock said, "105.9 the Big Kahuna. Atlanta's..."

He stopped himself and said, "I knew it was going to happen; I was waiting for that!"
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              I caught Brock on the way in to work. He sounds the same. Still too much talking. I don't know who Jimmy Mack is, the person who sat in with Brock, but I found him annoying, and Brock doesn't need a foil. Brock can talk up a storm without someone there to encourage him.

Funny moment: just before I got out of the car, Brock said, "105.9 the Big Kahuna. Atlanta's..."

He stopped himself and said, "I knew it was going to happen; I was waiting for that!"
                              I agree. Too much talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X