KHON Weather with Justin Cruz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHON Weather with Justin Cruz?

Is this new? Is Joe Moore willing to give a weather person another shot? Will Justin fare better than Trini Kaopuiki?

Re: KHON Weather with Justin Cruz?

I just caught his segment and I thought he did really well.

I've heard him on the radio for 10+ years and have seen him in person hosting such and such party at whatever club and seeing him on TV is definitely a nice thing.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The pacing seems a little off, though, since the full weather song-and-dance (including greenscreen wizardry) is now a couple of minutes long instead of just a 30 second TeLePrompTer read. And now Joe has to pass-back with Justin before the break.

It already took some getting used to, seeing Joe share a desktop with Kanoa Leahey! Getting crowded in that studio.
      Last edited by pzarquon; April 23, 2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Interesting addition. Heard Justin on the radio this morning talking about his new gig. Also said that Tanya Joaquin is taking over the 5pm News spot that Leslie Wilcox vacated.

Comment

I believe Kathy Muneno will replace Tanya who will work the evening shift now.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Is this new? Is Joe Moore willing to give a weather person another shot?
            Does Joe have a dislike for weather journalists/meteorologists?
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Does Joe have a dislike for weather journalists/meteorologists?
              I don't think it's that.

I think he has a thing against people who aren't "seasoned" on-air people.

That's all.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Well I hope Joe doesn't forget he once was inexperienced, perhaps nobody is around anymore who remembers those days other than a Les Keiter or Bob Sevey.

I remember the days when Trini would do the weather and there seemed to be some banter between the two, other times one couldnt tell if it was for fun or not!! Maybe Joe realized more people were looking at Trini than him! >;-0

KalihiBoy

Comment

I have actually heard that because this is Hawaii, Joe feels unless there's a hurricane or serious flooding, there's no need to waste time with a weather segment. Just zip through it and you've got more time for news and sports.

It's true though, not like the mainland where the first thing you're looking for on the late newscast is the day's temperature, so you know if you should bundle your kid up for school the next day. can you tell i've been missing hawaii during the winter?

Comment

All this reminds me of that movie where Bill Hurt plays the anchor to Holly Hunter's producer? Network News? Not to be confused with Network? Anyway, yeah, Joe probably gets to throw in more than .02 when it comes to weather coverage, but didn't KGMB start munchin' on the market and is growing in popularity? Perhaps this is KHON's answer to that severe weather station phenom. I like Guy. Used to surf with him. And I really relate to him better than I did to Trini when she took to the science of weathercasting. Weather is a science, one of my favorite subjects. I hope the new guy at KHON works hard and takes advantage of this great op to step up his career and provides viewers with a refreshing approach to weather casting. I don't think Guy Hagi has anything to worry about, but I haven't seen the new kid on the block yet.
                    I'm just super happy that Kathy Muneno is going to be on the morning news again! That's one happy face I've missed for a long time! I just might start riding my bike trainer more before work!!!!!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      All this reminds me of that movie where Bill Hurt plays the anchor to Holly Hunter's producer? Network News? Not to be confused with Network? Anyway, yeah, Joe probably gets to throw in more than .02 when it comes to weather coverage, but didn't KGMB start munchin' on the market and is growing in popularity? Perhaps this is KHON's answer to that severe weather station phenom. I like Guy. Used to surf with him. And I really relate to him better than I did to Trini when she took to the science of weathercasting.
                      She's the last of the extincting weather bunnies.

To be honest with you, I thought KHON is going to automate their weather segments ... with an Asimo robot.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I hope the new guy at KHON works hard and takes advantage of this great op to step up his career and provides viewers with a refreshing approach to weather casting. I don't think Guy Hagi has anything to worry about, but I haven't seen the new kid on the block yet.
                        Hard to present an informed opinion when you haven't even watched one of the people you're talking about.

Keep in mind, Justin Cruz is new to television, but he's definitely not new to broadcasting. He'll be fine once he gets used to looking at a camera and getting out of the way when the maps are up on the screen.

Comment

PJ, I watched the 5 p.m. show tonight. OK, forgive me for this, but, you can always tell when a guy is trying to get used to life before the camera in a SUIT! He will relax and start looking at the camera when he says trade winds and windward and mau-ah, er, mauka showers because no one needs to read that. And believe me, I'd break every camera in town so don't think I'm asserting I could do better.
                          I start a new job tomorrow. And I have to wear big girl clothes. I am so not looking forward to LOOKING UNCOMFORTABLE in SUITS and HEELS! pray for me! I mean, there are people who are comfortable all dressed up. Tips?

And after having watched the 6 p.m. newscast...hit west, young baseball men!
                          Last edited by lavagal; April 24, 2007, 06:20 PM.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

congrats on the new job!
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I am so not looking forward to LOOKING UNCOMFORTABLE in SUITS and HEELS! pray for me! I mean, there are people who are comfortable all dressed up. Tips?
                              Missed the early news. Hopefully I'll get to see the 10 p.m. broadcast.

Congrats on the new job... only tip I have is to wear sneakers to the office, then put on your heels. And have a big enough purse or a desk drawer to stash the shoes.

Can you get away with aloha wear? Mu'u mu'u every day!

Comment

Working...
                              X