The Five-Second Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Five-Second Rule

Okay. I guess it would depend on the type of food that landed on the floor, how hungry you are, and the availability of a replacement for the dropped food. Maybe beer count, too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...897&ei=5087%0A

Re: The Five-Second Rule

Reminds me of the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters Episode...
    http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/10/m...nvasion_a.html

Comment

I'm living proof the five second rule is not a myth. Of course I also say "God bless these germs" just in case.

Comment

If it lands on the floor it gets thrown away.

Comment

ya know I havta share when I used to work at JACK IN THE CRACK aka Jaque In The Box ova by Mayor Wrights Housing back in the mid 80's....
          I used to work at the grill and did see one cooked patty hit the floor.
          Well all I am gonna say is it did not get tossed as I recall

As for myself if it hits the ground see if my cats wanna take it if I am at home other than that it gets pushed on the side if I am at a resturaunt.
          If it hits the table then its 50/50

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            I'm living proof the five second rule is not a myth. Of course I also say "God bless these germs" just in case.
            Ooops meant to say IS a myth.

For me, it depends what kinda food and where it fell. If its juicy and falls on the ground, I'm not eating eat. If it's a peanut m&m, five sec rule applies.

Comment

I would have to agree with anyone that says it depends what type of food and where it lands.

But usually if it hits the floor, it's going in the garbage.

You have to think that, while you are wondering about the food that fell on the floor to whether or not to eat it, the five seconds usually is up by the time you make a decision.

I wonder if this includes smokers when they drop their cigerettes.

Comment

~ Alka Selsa Rule comes into place.~

"Plop plop fiz fiz Oh! Wat a relief it is!"

Toss it!!!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

As kids were always subject to the "5 sec rule" and the standard "God bless germs" but now, if it hits the floor its dog food .

Comment

crackers and the like is easy to pickup, but its really hard to pickup food like spaghetti or ice cream in 5 seconds.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! infection control! infection control!

that said, i figure if both the food and landing surfaces are hard and i know 100% that the floor/carpet hasn't recently been puked or pooped on without proper disinfection, i follow the 5 second rule and say god bless germs. besides, i figure totally coddling my immune system and disinfecting everything in sight will only make my ability to fight off infection weaker.

*shrug*

i still get sick every six months tho, but that's bcs i am an insomniac and lack of sleep has a bad effect on the immune system.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Doesn't apply in our house. Anything that makes the floor is fair game for our 8 yr old "puppy"

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          Doesn't apply in our house. Anything that makes the floor is fair game for our 8 yr old "puppy"
                          LOL...TELL me about it. Anytime we're eating food, our dogs are right there staring at us, waiting for the "the drop"

The upsaide is, if you DO drop some messy food on the floor, the little vacuums will clean it us...no muss , no fuss.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            LOL...TELL me about it. Anytime we're eating food, our dogs are right there staring at us, waiting for the "the drop"

I wish our cats are behaved.
                            When its dinner time they flock around my roomate and one particular kitty constantly hounds him like she's has not been fed all day. Climbs on him by the shoulder or tries to scoop up anything with her paws.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                              I wish our cats are behaved.
                              When its dinner time they flock around my roomate and one particular kitty constantly hounds him like she's has not been fed all day. Climbs on him by the shoulder or tries to scoop up anything with her paws.
                              Jeez...what ANIMALS, huh ?
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X