Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Heahea > Front Desk
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should we keep the "Reputation" system?
Yes, keep it. 26 42.62%
No, remove it. 35 57.38%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Ali`i

Default Reputation?

Was going through the Member List option and there is a column for something called "Reputation". So far everyone has green squares. I take it that means you are okay? What are the possible values that goes into that column?
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Reputation?

Good question, Helen. It's one of the gadgets the forum software offers. Much like how other web communities self-moderate (Slashdot's "mod points" system, for example), reputations on this board are a way for you to give a thumbs up (or, hopefully never, a thumbs down) to your fellow HawaiiThreads.com members to tell the world, "This person is respected."

On every post, there's a little "scale" icon. Click it, and you can mark it as being particularly helpful (or not). Over time, a member who's recognized by others' as posting lots of informative or insightful things will get a higher reputation score (more green squares).

Also, the longer you've been a member, and the more posts you've made, the more weight your reputation input has.

Frankly the setup is a bit complicated, with rules governing the number of reputation points you can give other members and how often, for example. There are far too many separate levels, and I don't even know which ones add up to how many squares just yet. I wouldn't take it too seriously. If this ever becomes an enormous, thriving community, I'm sure we'd be able to look at these points as a way to separate the jokers from the thinkers. But for now, just think of it as another nifty gadget.

More useful, I think, is the ability to rate threads. So if a topic generates lots of good posts, and people rate it highly, you'll be able to see at a glance where the juciest, tastiest stuff is. Just as an example, I rated this thread you started four stars. If others rate it one way or the other, you'll get an average. Again, if my wildest dreams come true and this board is busting at the seams, it could be quite helpful.

Last edited by admin; April 14th, 2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Ali`i

I tried to add to the reputation of one post that "admin" made. It took it and then I tried to add to the reputation to another post that "admin" made and it said You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to admin again.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that was one of the settings I mentioned above. You have to give reputation points (a.k.a. "props" or mod points) to I think ten separate people before you can give them to someone a second time. That keeps folks from pumping one person into reputation heaven in one lazy afternoon, I guess.
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:35 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
You have to give reputation points (a.k.a. "props" or mod points) to I think ten separate people before you can give them to someone a second time.
Considering there is about 5 to 6 users who frequent these forums, this might take a while.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
Ali`i

Just wondering. When you add to one's reputation, it also allows to add a comment to that person. How does that person receive the comment?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Considering there is about 5 to 6 users who frequent these forums, this might take a while.
Yeah, well. Here's hoping we eventually have more than 5 to 6 users. The Honolulu Weekly ad is out today...

Quote:
How does that person receive the comment?
When you click on "User CP" (control panel), one of the things you'll see are the latest reputation points you've been given, along with any comments that went with them. (I guess you'll only see this if you have reputation points... I'd never seen the list until now.) I've given you some additional reputation points on your last post with a comment for you to see it in action.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:41 AM
Ali`i

And the Control Panel also list the number of Reputation Points. This is nice to know. Thanks!!!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:29 AM
Ali`i

I never bothered to click on the reputation icon (the balance scale) on posts that I did. Figured it would complain saying that you cann't change the reputation on your posts. Well today I did and it would show you the reputation status of that post (seen balanced and slightly postive), as well as your overall points and the comments if any to that post.

The comments and reputation are also anonymous (at least to me it is).
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Ali`i

Well, Helen, I did cast a vote to add to your reputation but now I have to, as I understand it, vote for nine other people before I can vote again?
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Re: Reputation?

Right. Okay, y'all made me go back and actually read the instructions. If I understand what this system does, for HawaiiThreads.com, the current Reputation settings are as follows:

• You need to have made 10 posts before you can give Reputation ratings.
  • At first, your Reputation ratings are worth one point each, either to increase or decrease another member's rating.
  • For every 90 days you're a member, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
  • For every 100 posts, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
  • For ever 10 Reputation points you get from others, your Reputation ratings are worth an additional point.
  • You have to give Reputation points to 10 people before you can give more points to someone again.
Clear as mud?
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

I guess the question in my mind is that when we first join up is our Reputation set to some value other than zero, because I find it hard to believe that I got 15 Reputation points. I know I got 3 Reputation entries (2 had green squares and 1 gray square, dates to them was around a week ago and I didn't see a new one yet which I assume Albert's didn't come through since he only made his 10th post today).

I haven't been on for 90 days nor have I posted 100 posts.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Ali`i

Well, it says you are "on a distinguished road", Helen. Not quite sure what that means, but I suppose it's better than Kuhio Avenue.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ali`i

It also told me I had to spread some more reputation votes around before I can vote for you again, so that first vote must have taken.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
I guess the question in my mind is that when we first join up is our Reputation set to some value other than zero, because I find it hard to believe that I got 15 Reputation points.
Very perceptive (or, well, good math)... you're right, new, validated members enter with 10 points to begin with.

I'm not sure what the different colored squares mean, or for that matter what 'on a distinguished road' means, unfortunately.

Let's see. Okay, there's a whole series: "is on a distinguished road," "will become famous soon enough," "has a spectacular aura about," "is a jewel in the rough," etc. There's only a few steps going the other way (down): "has a little shameless behaviour in the past," and "can only hope to improve."

The forum came prepopulated with a lot of odd things like that, and if anyone wants to submit an alternative series of escalating phrases that might indicate someone's rising or falling reputation, go right ahead!
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Ali`i

First off I am not concerned with my Reputation ranking. While it would be nice to have more points, I won't be sad if it went to zero, or even a negative value if that was possible (okay I be bad ). I am kind of wondering if the Reputation part is working correctly. Not that I have the power to fix it but rather to compare notes with others.

Secondly when Ryan said that you can view your Reputation status in Control Panels, I have been checking it very time I use HawaiiThreads.

When I saw it I had 15 points and the following three entries:

green square - Reputation? - April 21st, 2004 8:57 PM - Here's an example thread comment
gray square - Reputation? - April 21st, 2004 7:46 AM
green square - Friday night on the #9 ... - April 19th, 2004 10:59 PM

So today this entry shows up:

gray square - PDA's. Pocket PC's, Oh ... - April 29th 2004 11:39 PM

What's really strange is that my overall Reputation points is still at 15. It should have been at 14 if I assume that a gray square is not good sign or 16 if the color of the square means something else and again I haven't been on for over 90 days or made a 100 posts yet to offset what might be a bad reputation post. Unless of course making the various posting levels might also add a point to it?
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Green square is a positive click. Grey square is a neutral click. Red square is a negative click. So, even if you have lots of grey squares, your total reputation points won't change.

The other reason numbers will be funny, again, is because some members' clicks will be worth more points than others.

If you're confused, don't worry, I'm learning about this along with you guys. There's a basic overview of the Reputation system in the FAQ, but it isn't nearly as detailed as your questions!
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Green square is a positive click. Grey square is a neutral click. Red square is a negative click. So, even if you have lots of grey squares, your total reputation points won't change.
Okay that makes sense. If I click on those entries in control panel it will take me to the post that I did. If I click on the balance scale icon, the posts that were marked by the green squares says my post were somewhat postive while the gray squares say it's even.

Quote:
The other reason numbers will be funny, again, is because some members' clicks will be worth more points than others.
So I guess since I started off with 10 points, between the 2 green square entries gave me the other 5 points.

Quote:
If you're confused, don't worry, I'm learning about this along with you guys. There's a basic overview of the Reputation system in the FAQ, but it isn't nearly as detailed as your questions!
Looked at the FAQ at least twice and it makes no references to the Reputation. Unless that section is only available to the administrator or moderator.

In the vBulletin FAQ I can see:

User Maintenance
Why should I register?
Does this forum use cookies?
How do I clear my cookies?
How can I change the information in my profile?
What is the signature for?
I lost my password, what can I do?
How do I add a custom status to my profile?
How do I get a picture under my username?
What are the buddy and ignore lists?

General Forum Usage
Can I search the forum?
Can I send email to other members?
What is Private Messaging?
How do I use the Member List?
How do I use the calendar?
What are announcements?
How do I rate a thread?
What are referrals?
What are the various thread display options?

Reading and Posting Messages
Are there any special codes/tags I can use to markup my posts?
What is email notification?
What are smilies?
Code Buttons and Clickable Smilies
How do I create and vote in polls?
What Are Attachments?
What are message icons?
Can I edit my own posts?
What Are Moderators?
Why have some of the words in my post been blanked
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Wink Re: Reputation?

Hmm. There should have been something about it in the FAQ. Just for you, helen, I've written up a guide to the Reputation system. (I have no idea why it wasn't covered in the "stock" FAQ.) Let me know if anything's missing or unclear. Note that in putting it together, I learned some new things that haven't yet been covered in this thread.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:56 AM
Ali`i

Thanks for getting the FAQ updated to include the Reputation system. I guess I will wait and see what happens when I reach the point of a 100 posts (which I am over half way there ).

Of course this thread has helped in doing that.
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: nuff arready of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
is anyone else sick n tired of owen wilson's ubiquitous slit eye pucker face as much as i am? and his annoying low whisper dialogue delivery style.
jeez. he's wearing out his welcome.
You got a red mark on your post for *that*?? For voicing an opinion about a movie actor?

I think those reputation marks are for wimps. It's like leaving an anonymous note on someone's windshield. "I don't have to guts to say this to your face, so I'll leave this note, then run away and hide."

So Kimo gets a "bad reputation" mark because someone else is too chicken*** to actually state publicly that he/she disagrees with Kimo's assesment of Owen Wilson's charm. Nice.

Last edited by admin; July 25th, 2005 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Split from thread in "The Big Picture."
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAzza
You got a red mark on your post for *that*?? For voicing an opinion about a movie actor?

I think those reputation marks are for wimps. It's like leaving an anonymous note on someone's windshield. "I don't have to guts to say this to your face, so I'll leave this note, then run away and hide."

So Kimo gets a "bad reputation" mark because someone else is too chicken*** to actually state publicly that he/she disagrees with Kimo's assesment of Owen Wilson's charm. Nice.
and this one, too,

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...0892#post30892

if you can believe that.
snipers taking potshots.... dilutes the already dubious "reputation" grading system to irrelevancy.
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Reputation is linked to the user, not to the post.

The system is designed to prevent one person from having a noticable effect on another user's reputation. (You can't repeatedly give a positive or negative score, and your scores are weighted by your own reputation). It is a community-based measure of credibility and respect. And since you actually earn points simply by remaining a member and posting messages (without anyone using the Reputation system at all), it would take some pretty adverse circumstances to have your score actually go down from the 10 you get automatically the day you sign up.

I would respectfully submit that Kimo's post on Owen Wilson was probably not a key part of his current Reputation score.

Let's keep discussion of the 'Reputation' system in its own thread.
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would respectfully submit that Kimo's post on Owen Wilson was probably not a key part of his current Reputation score.
but these, quizically are;

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...2034#post32034
http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...2151#post32151
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Ali`i

Oh I always wondered what that square is. I thought it meant whether or not that person was online.
Closed Thread