Hoax calls from 202-552-1332

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoax calls from 202-552-1332

I keep getting calls from this number - with a recording telling me my car warranty has expired. I don't even have a car so I always hang up... then I got this in my email from a co-worker...

Watch out for hoax telemarketing calls from 202-552-1332. These guys have been calling cell phones and home phones. They usually say one of the following:

1) Your car warranty is about to expire…

2) Fannie Mae had just started a new Home Mortgage program which offered Home Financing as low as 1%, for those with good, credit, bad credit, or bankruptcies.

3) We are a collection agency…

Do not give these guys any information. This is a likely phishing scheme. If you see this number on your cell phone or caller id, do not answer.
    Is anybody else getting hit up by this scam?
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Hoax calls from 202-552-1332

Mahalo for the link. HT membership really does have its privileges

Comment

My co-worker also encouraged me to register my home and cell phone on the National Do-Not-Call registry. http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/

That might work for telemarketers but I don't think "phishers" honor the registry.
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I have two cell phones with 808 area codes and I'm constantly getting calls from that A/C 202 number. I've never actually answered an incoming call from that number, but it is always showing up on my missed call list. In fact, I received a call from whoever it is last night on one of the aforementioned Hawaii cell phones. I always wondered who/whom was incessently calling and why.

Comment

I got about 2 or 3 calls this month tell me my car warranty has expired and like kiwidiva I don't own a car so I just hang up.

Comment

To those of you who have received the 202 calls...out of curiosity, are any of your cell phones already registered on the Do Not Call list and were they registered prior to the first scam call? Just curious.

Comment

No tutu, I wasn't registered - and now it won't let me.

It keeps saying that the number I'm inputting doesn't match the number I'm calling from (of course it does!) I don't have time to keep trying right now...

Comment

Kiwidiva...you can register online HERE.

Comment

You can also file a complaint on that website here.
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                    I keep getting calls from this number - with a recording telling me my car warranty has expired. I don't even have a car so I always hang up... then I got this in my email from a co-worker...

Mahalo for the info, I was wondering whose number that was cause I would let the call go to me messages. When I checked my message a voice recording would come on telling me my warranty is about to expire and to give them a call. The part that was confusing me was WHAT WARRANTY?
                    So I never bothered calling, lucky thing! It seems I get this call oncw a week, in fact just this past Wednesday my cell phone rang at 3 a.m. I jumped out of bed thinking I was late for work then I noticed that phone #552-1332. Plus it`s the area code that thru me off.
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                      Mahalo for the info, I was wondering whose number that was cause I would let the call go to me messages. When I checked my message a voice recording would come on telling me my warranty is about to expire and to give them a call. The part that was confusing me was WHAT WARRANTY?
                      So I never bothered calling, lucky thing! It seems I get this call oncw a week, in fact just this past Wednesday my cell phone rang at 3 a.m. I jumped out of bed thinking I was late for work then I noticed that phone #552-1332. Plus it`s the area code that thru me off.
                      Call that number back from a payphone collect, tell'em it's regarding the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        Call that number back from a payphone collect, tell'em it's regarding the warranty.
                        Good Idea and then walk away with the phone dangling
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

DoNotCall's a piece of crap. We've had our land line registered since its creation and we still get hit at least 2 times a day. I don't know how many times I've filed complaints. No one's bothered to do anything about it, obviously, because we still get the same telemarketers calling.

www.800notes.com is a website I use to find out who these people are. 98% of the time, their numbers are labeled "800 Service" on my Caller ID. I take the 800 number and do a search on the website, and I'll come up with user comments from others who've been called from the same number.

Dell Financial Services is on my $#!+list because they keep calling even though no one in my household has an account with them!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The Do Not Call list has been working pretty good for me. I'm just peeved that charitable organizations and people conducting polls can still call. And now you've got scam artists who call up saying they are conducting a poll and then launch into a sales pitch. Most of the time, I just let the phone ring to voice mail and screen the calls that way.

For people who did register their numbers previously and want to continue to be on that DNC list, you will need to re-register if you registered when the service first became available. Some fools who set up the list in the first place decided that after 5 years, people needed to reregister so that those who wanted to get solicitation calls would then be able to receive them again (yeah, right).

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                              Maybe a dozen times now, including just five minutes ago.
                              I just hang up on 'em. But it still ticks me off big time.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X