Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Riki Karamatsu's DUI Charge

Isle lawmaker charged with DUI
    Vice speaker of the state House Jon Karamatsu was charged with driving under the influence of an intoxicant after crashing a car into a concrete pillar on the freeway early today. Karamatsu crashed his car at 1:15 a.m. in the Waianae-bound lanes of the freeway near the Ahua Street overpass, according to court and police records. He was the only one in the car.
    The evening TV news carried footage of a contrite Karamatsu apologizing to his colleagues, constituents and families... but also leaving a bit of wiggle room for his case, in which he pled not guilty. At the courthouse, he mentioned "circumstances that will be brought up later" that contributed to his accident other than alcohol. And KHON spoke with him at the industrial yard where his smashed car was stored, and he said his car had been acting up.

Karamatsu did support a bill that enacted tougher penalties for unusually high levels of intoxication, such as the level reported by HPD today, a fact he conceded was "ironic." On the other hand, as I noted in my blog, he also introduced a bill "by request" last year that would have given a tax break to spirit cooler makers.

I wonder if he'll blog about all this?

I'm searching my dusty memory for past elected leaders with DUI arrests, and how things turned out for them. KHON pointed out former Pearl City Rep. Noboru Yonamine, who pled guilty to DUI, said he'd resign, but changed his mind. He later lost his bid for re-election. Dain Kane, former Maui councilmember, lost his bid for mayor last year but seems to still be active politically. But Wayne Nishiki, a councilman on Maui, got re-elected in 2002 despite two DUI busts in two years.

I get the feeling that being remorseful and humble is pretty much the only way to survive something like this politically. Say you're sorry, actually be sorry, promise to shape up and do so. I guess Karamatsu apologized, but with his not-guilty plea and vague statements today, I'm wondering if he's going to burn some goodwill to pull some legal shenanigans.

Re: Jon Riki Karamatsu's DUI Charge

I wasn't living here at the time, but I remember Jon Yoshimura being involved in something similar? Someone please correct me I don't want to perpetuate any rumors.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      I get the feeling that being remorseful and humble is pretty much the only way to survive something like this politically. Say you're sorry, actually be sorry, promise to shape up and do so. I guess Karamatsu apologized, but with his not-guilty plea and vague statements today, I'm wondering if he's going to burn some goodwill to pull some legal shenanigans.
      Which puts an elected official in something of an unfair position: A "not guilty" plea doesn't mean "I didn't do it," after all. It means, "I leave the burden of proof upon the state." It's a right we all have -- to demand that the state prove our guilt. You can be sorry and still expect to be innocent until proven guilty, but then I guess you'll find yourself out of a job come election day.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Which puts an elected official in something of an unfair position: A "not guilty" plea doesn't mean "I didn't do it," after all. It means, "I leave the burden of proof upon the state." It's a right we all have -- to demand that the state prove our guilt.
        Firstly, I don't think there's anything wrong with holding an elected official, a representative of the people, to a higher standard than your average schlub. (Though frankly, we seem to expect the opposite.) Even if you didn't, I agree, it's everyone's right to plea not guilty. But being an elected official, and playing in the arena of politics, makes a difference in the math.

Is clearing your name on paper worth a trial and testimony and extensive media coverage of explanations and counter-explanations? Or is it more prudent to own up to your mistake, plead guilty, and do what guilty people do to redeem themselves?

I guess what I am saying, as you more aptly summarized, is that pleading not guilty and tossing up vague mentions of "extenuating circumstances" undermines the value of the apology. It's a sad slide from "I'm sorry" to "I'm sorry I got caught."

Frankly, knowing your car was having issues is another argument against getting in the darn thing in the first place, if being inebriated and wobbly on your feet, and if being an elected official wasn't disincentive enough. So I sure hope a faulty throttle isn't going to be the key to his defense.

I like the guy. I'm disappointed that he made poor choices. But he can make better choices from here forward and keep doing good works.

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
          I wasn't living here at the time, but I remember Jon Yoshimura being involved in something similar? Someone please correct me I don't want to perpetuate any rumors.
          oh, you're not perpetuating any rumors. see here.

if one wanted to perpetuate rumors, one could say that something about a former councilman making unwanted and repeated creepy passes at young women around town or something like that. but you'd only say that if you wanted to perpetuate a rumor.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            oh, you're not perpetuating any rumors. see here.

if one wanted to perpetuate rumors, one could say that something about a former councilman making unwanted and repeated creepy passes at young women around town or something like that. but you'd only say that if you wanted to perpetuate a rumor.
            Thank you and I decided to 'Yahoo' YOSHIMURA and found the past articles detailing his hit-and-run fiasco.

Maybe it's because I'm not in Public Office, but I would think that it would be the 'right' thing to do and apologize, take responsibility, and move forward. Then again, that's just me.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Bruddah was TWICE the legal limit. If he's dumb enough to get ripping drunk and get behind his wheel putting everyone else in danger, then he has no right being in charge of our laws.

He should do what honorable Japanese would do, ... resign and go away. That's the "RIGHT" thing to do in the old days. Today's generation right thing is to BS an apology and get right along like nothing happened.

I believe in forgiveness but twice the legal limit drunk driving is just STUPID!

Comment

As explained in my story here, entering a not guilty plea for your initial court appearance does not mean you intend to fight the charge lodged against you.

Attend the cattle call hearings at District Court and you'll hear many people make the "mistake" of trying to plead guilty for their initial hearings, even for something as minor as having an open container of alcohol. Once they do, the judge will basically persuade you to plead not guilty. It's not advised for ANYbody to plead guilty for your initial appearance, if you haven't consulted with anybody.

If you state an intent to plead guilty, the judge will basically state over and over again in so many ways, "Are you really really really sure?" until you finally decide to plead not guilty. Of course, there is a point where he will allow you to do so, but I've never seen anyone stick with the guilty plea.

Of course, I'm interested to see what "circumstances" he may be talking about. I'm thinking he might've just blurted it out without thinking about it. When I spoke with him, he was incredibly nervous.

In other news, I'm in Gridiron this year, and I'm surprised the writers were able to throw in a last-minute Karamatsu gag that works rather well.
                Last edited by genepark; October 19, 2007, 11:14 AM.
                ---
                Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

His blog this morning is quite revealing and I wonder how long he will have it up for.

Dear Friends,

On the early morning of October 16, I called the police and waited for them..........
                  I've saved it just in case he does decide to take it down

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
                    His blog this morning is quite revealing and I wonder how long he will have it up for.

That was quite entertaining! He must have drunk when he wrote it!

I was determined to continue to work on domestic violence, sexual assault, peace, identity theft, Internet harassment, agriculture, technology, science, film, art, renewable energy, school infrastructure, highway improvements, and education issues to name a few.
                    Maybe if made mention of HSF he would get more sympathy.

I did some research and realized that one must proceed on the side of caution when it comes to driving after one drinks, even if it is only a couple of drinks.
                    Wow, that's really new science. Why didn't anyone come up with this theory before?

Maybe he should have listened to is attorneys and kept quiet....
                    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Kalei, you missed another good one

.......It would also be nice to be steady with a girl. The scrutiny of what I do and who I date could eventually be the past......

Comment

He did. But, as I always say in my presentations on blogging, the web never forgets. I subscribe to his blog with Google Reader (for which I've expressed much love in the past), and when I logged in this morning to skim my way through my feeds, there was his long rambling story in its full, mortifying glory.
                        I talked to the media honestly, and as an attorney myself, I knew I wasn't suppose to say anything. I sacrificed my legal rights to the media. I was scolded by many attorneys for this. However, if I followed my legal rights, the media would have made me look bad.
                        Wonder how speaking directly to the public is working out?

Comment

Re: other politicians in "hot water" ...............

WAYNE METCALFE - ex-Big Island legislator and one-time state insurance commissioner;
                          STEVE COBB - ex-State senator;
                          KAREN HORITA - ex-representative, daughter of developer Herbert Horita;
                          MILTON HOLT - ex-State senator;
                          CLIFFORD UWAINE - ex-State senator.

DUI, spouse abuse, public intoxication, voter fraud ........... I even remember Richard Kageyama, an ex-city councilman. taking an extended European vacation during the early '60s on taxpayers' money.

Most of those who sought re-election were turned out by the voters.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            He did. But, as I always say in my presentations on blogging, the web never forgets. I subscribe to his blog with Google Reader (for which I've expressed much love in the past), and when I logged in this morning to skim my way through my feeds, there was his long rambling story in its full, mortifying glory.Wonder how speaking directly to the public is working out?
                            This is so ironic, as he himself was trying to pass legislation about server companies retaining records.

Finally, I will also draft a resolution to Congress to make stricter requirements on server companies nationwide on retaining records.
                            From his earlier post on his blog.

Let's see if he now removes that one too.

Comment

Kalei, you missed another good one

LMAO....Yeah, I saw that and started laughing. It sounded so pathetic I ALMOST.....ALMOST felt sorry for him.
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X