Places to host large groups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to host large groups?

I'm looking at hosting two kapa haka (Maori performing arts) groups - plus supporters - possibly up to 50 people total for next year's whakataetae (Maori song and dance competition) at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

If we were in Aotearoa, we would all stay at marae - meeting houses where everyone sleeps in the same room and eats together. I could just book hotel rooms here but I'm trying to keep the costs down for them and also to foster the spirit of them all getting to know each other.

Does anyone know of any campgrounds or other places that they can recommend for hosting large groups? Close to La'ie would be a bonus but I'm thinking of just staying north shore for a few days leading up to the event and then moving closer to town for sightseeing & shopping.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Places to host large groups?

Sounds like you just described Malaekahana State Recreation Area. It's located five minutes from PCC and is my favorite large campground on Oahu. Here's a view of the beach from the campground:

This is the site where you can make reservations, but it's kinda buggy. You're better off calling or e-mailing them.
    Here's a list of the campground facilities:
    40 primitive campsites with picnic tables, fire pits, toilet facilities and unique hot outdoor showers;

5 furnished camping yurts with electricity . Sleeps from 2 to 6 people (3x15' diameter, 1x20' diameter, 1x24' diameter).

6 rustic beach houses ranging in size from 1-bdrm/1 bath (600 sq. ft.) to 4-bdrm/3 bath (5,000 sq. ft.) accommodating from 4 to 20 people. They are clean, fully furnished cabins with stoves and refrigerators. (Guests must bring their own cooking and eating utensils and all linens and towels);

Special Events/Group Camping section - a 3 acre area accommodating groups of 150 or more, complete with 2 outdoor showers, portable toilets, and a food preparation area; The Pavilion - a 4 bedroom, 3 bath facility perfect for weddings, retreats and other group functions
    Reservations go quickly. Hope this helped.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Mahalo MPB - it looks PERFECT! I'll give them a call!!

Looking at the pix I realize now I've driven by that place before but never knew what it was - thought it was some kind of hippy commune or something!!!
      Last edited by kiwidiva; November 14, 2007, 01:39 PM.
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
        Mahalo MPB - it looks PERFECT! I'll give them a call!!

Looking at the pix I realize now I've driven by that place before but never knew what it was - thought it was some kind of hippy commune or something!!!
        Hey! That's A GOOD THING!!!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
          [...]Looking at the pix I realize now I've driven by that place before but never knew what it was - thought it was some kind of hippy commune or something!!!
          I have a friend who lives at Malaekahana and I had no idea that campground existed. Funny, too, 'cuz my friend's a hippy! Oh wait...she's a flower child...still!

Comment

We used to go to some awesome neighborhood lu'aus in Hauula next to CYO Camp, planny room for tons of people and the trees break up the wind so it's good for camping.

Not a lot of landmarks there ..... just look for CYO Camp than it's Kahuku-side of that.

Comment

I was just there a couple of months ago. Great campground. One tip -- they do offer a discounted kamaʻāina rate, but you won't get it if you make your reservations through their web site. Call them up instead.

Comment

Hey! That's A GOOD THING!!!
                Oh most definitely... I-HEART-HIPPIES!!! And flower children!!!

Mahalo to all for the tips...

Comment

Working...
                X