Niihau Island - Robinson Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niihau Island - Robinson Family

Just wondering. Searched the web, didn't find the answers to a few questions.

Niihau is a private island, so you and I can't go there. Stats show there are 160 people live on the island. The exact word is "mostly" Native Hawaiian.

Here are a few questions:

- The Robinson family is (was) white. Now 150+ years later, are they mostly "Hawaiian blood?" Or have the family members left and found spouses elsewhere, and come back to the island?

- Is there "one person" that is in-charge of the island?

- How does the succession process work? Elizabeth Sinclair-Robinson bought the island. So are the "ruler" (man/woman in-charge) directly related to her?

- There are 160 people on the island, and yes, some have left the island. Suppose they got married to a Non-Hawaiian, can both go back to Niihau?

- If there are 160 people on the island, wouldn't almost eveyone be "related" to each other during the 150+ years? And health dangers?

- They speak the Hawaiian language. Is there a comparison between the Hawaiian language used there vs. what is being use on the other Islands. For example, the Spanish is Mexico is different from Spanish from Spain, which is different from the Spanish in Peru.

Re: Niihau Island - Robinson Family

Originally posted by GoLowDrew View Post
    Just wondering. Searched the web, didn't find the answers to a few questions.

- Is there "one person" that is in-charge of the island?

- How does the succession process work? Elizabeth Sinclair-Robinson bought the island. So are the "ruler" (man/woman in-charge) directly related to her?
    Googled.
    http://www.janeresture.com/hawaii_niihau/index.htm

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

my mil's was able to go via invitation with her halau this past summer. there is only a certain area that they are allowed on. can go no further than that. met by mrs. robinson. if i remember the story correctly, if someone were to leave niihau they could not return to live there.
      Last edited by CranBeree; December 13, 2007, 06:17 AM.

Comment

My great (x 3) grandfather was from Ni'ihau, left to live in O'ahu. I don't know if he was allowed to go back or if he even wanted to go back. I've heard many stories like if you leave but marry another "pure blood" Hawaiian you can come back but I don't pretend to know the real rules on that. My greeeat gpa married another "pure blood" Hawaiian (greeeat gma) but they stayed on her family land on da North Shore. The rest of my native lineage is from that area of O'ahu or from Moloka'i, that was the only Ni'ihauan in my line(s). I wish I knew more, not very much kokua, kala mai.
        Last edited by Lei K; December 13, 2007, 08:06 AM.
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Aloha GoLowDrew, to answer your questions:

- The Robinson family is (was) white. Now 150+ years later, they are still white, some family members have left to find spouses elsewhere, or married people from the Hawaian Islands from other races (only one has ever married a native, see below).

- The island is left in charge to a specific descendent of Elizabeth Sinclair-Robinson. It follows the lineage line as closely as possible. The current Robinson that is in charge of Nihau owns it outright, is Keith Robinson. He is also the only one to marry a native Hawaiian from Nihau.

- People can't go back to the island if they marry a non-Hawaiian. By themselves, they could go back. Most do not.

- The island used to have many more people than 160, they wouldn't allow inner marriage. They have a hard time populating the island. There is no electricity for example.

- The Hawaiian language is the same, no dialect.

Merry Xmas

Comment

Just thought I would throw this in here. I find this story interesting.

http://65.61.16.97/Niihau/
            You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Working...
            X