What to do with a dead car?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a dead car?!

Just received a call from a friend who just got the bad news that her 12 year old car wen make-die-dead! Estimate to repair is $2700...with no guarantee on the repairs as the car is just too far gone.

The repair shop wants to tow it back to her condo which isn't an option as there's no way to get it up to the top level of the parking structure. They're charging her storage while it stays in the shop.

My question is...What organization (college or high school auto repair course?), if any, might be willing to tow the car to their place in exchange for ownership of the car and use for parts or classroom work or whatever? A car must be in working order for a charitable organization to accept it. At least that's how I understand it.

All ideas on how to dispose of this car as cheaply as possible will be greatly appreciated!

Re: What to do with a dead car?!

I turned up this site, which I have absolutely no knowledge about. Says it's Better Business Bureau approved, or something like that. Supposedly free. Maybe a Google search of the site name + problems or complaints would tell if anyone has had issues with them or if they're legit. Hawaii is listed as one of the states served, down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.junkmycar.com/index.asp

Comment

Tutusue, I work for a non-profit that's part of the National Vehicle Donation Program: https://www.auto-donation.com/req.html

It lists the requirements if you want to donate your car, and running condition is not one of them. You'll just need to explain what's wrong with it. They'll then let you know if they can take the car. What's neat is that you have a whole list of charities to choose from!

If I'm not mistaken they'll make the arrangements for picking up the vehicle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I find it a little strange the shop does not have a suggestion as to how to dispose of the car. Also any tow company will know what to do.

Abe’s Auto Wreckers in Pearl City has a fleet of tow trucks and last I knew Drive Line (do they still exist?) in Mapunapuna would take a car away for free.
        "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
        Ayn Rand

Comment

The idea of donating it to students is really cool! Maybe if you call schools in the area where the car is, and ask for the auto shop or machine shop or metal shop teacher, they will want it?

Man, my school never offered auto shop ... I had to learn the hard way on my own broke-down old car!

If all else fails, craigslist it!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Whether any school's shop teacher would want it or not depends on exactly what kind of car it is and the type of repair work it needs. If it is beyond salvaging, needs extensive repair work that is not useful for teaching purposes, and/or it is not useful to be parted out, the shop teacher will probably tell you no thanks.

In any case, the easiest way to get rid of your car would be to contact your city's DMV and request an application to junk your vehicle. I believe that as long as the vehicle has at least two inflated tires (either front or rear) and that it is parked in an area accessible to a tow truck, the city will pick it up and dispose of it for you.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When my car was murdered I sold it to the local gypsies....actually, I traded with them...I got an apartment stationary bike and they got a stationary car.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll pass along all the info.

Comment

I see that YouthBuild is one of the charities, and they now have a Honolulu branch. Great outfit.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Ouch. I have an old car I just tried to donate via auto-donation.com, and the site tells me that the car make and model is not worth the cost of towing. (It's a '93 Saturn, BTW, and it does run.) Sorry, YouthBuild.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Just received a call from a friend who just got the bad news that her 12 year old car wen make-die-dead! Estimate to repair is $2700...with no guarantee on the repairs as the car is just too far gone.

The repair shop wants to tow it back to her condo which isn't an option as there's no way to get it up to the top level of the parking structure. They're charging her storage while it stays in the shop.

My question is...What organization (college or high school auto repair course?), if any, might be willing to tow the car to their place in exchange for ownership of the car and use for parts or classroom work or whatever? A car must be in working order for a charitable organization to accept it. At least that's how I understand it.

All ideas on how to dispose of this car as cheaply as possible will be greatly appreciated!
                      Give Kidney Cars a call. They'll take cars running or not and your friend can still use it as a deduction. He/she probably has to meet them at the repair shop to sign it over.

Comment

We donated a car once to a charity (the car was running), and it was a scam. We ended up with the car back in our own yard! Later we found out that the charity was under investigation. I don't know if they are still doing business or not, but it was a time-consuming and irritating process. We ended up putting an ad in the paper and selling it to someone for parts.

My suggestion: I'd try an ad (newspaper or CraigsList), selling cheap or giving it away for parts.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Try Freebie towing. 489-0888. They took my brother's truck which was mostly iron oxide with a fern growing inside.

They redeem it for scrap steel so they don't care if it's running or nearly unrecognizable.

They also picked up my old outboard engine, along with my dad's old utility bed pickup, a rusted steel toolbox and other items.

Comment

Working...
                          X