Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Tam: Hawaii VS "Wetback"

City council votes to censure Rod Tam for 'wetbacks' remark
    The Honolulu City Council voted unanimously to censure council member Rod Tam, who used a racial slur to refer to undocumented laborers during a committee hearing May 13. Council chair Barbara Marshall said Tam will not lose his zoning committee chairmanship.
    Last edited by admin; June 4, 2008, 06:42 PM. Reason: Please don't post full articles. Provide an excerpt and link to the source.
    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Re: Hawaii VS "Wetback"

And he said that word with a stache like that style.

Comment

Tam retains his Chair seat & Dog retains his show - message, GREEN LIGHT on racism in Hawaii.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Having been raised in SoCal many, many moons ago, not all that far from the Mexican border, I was a bit surprised that Tam's reference was taken as a racial slur. "Wetback" was a common word where I lived as our town was filled with Mexican immigrants, legal or otherwise. The word referenced illegal aliens who crossed the Mexico/USA border sometimes swimming across a river to make their break for what they hoped would be a better life. I don't ever recall it having a negative or racist connotation...just that it was faster to say than "illegal alien who crossed the Mexico/USA border"!!! This was during the 1940s, '50s and 60s. During that time I remember that, should someone decide to spew a racial epithet at someone of Hispanic ethnicity, the word s/he would've used was "spic". That word made (and still makes) me bristle, just as much as the "n" word.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall hearing a "wetback" reference during the year I spent in my home town (1992). Possibly the racial element came into play after I left SoCal in the 1970s.
        Last edited by tutusue; June 4, 2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

The difference between Dog and Tam is that Dog knew what he was saying. Don't give Tam that kind of benefit of the doubt. I don't know whether Tam is a racist or not, but I do believe he had no idea what he was saying. You know why I think this? Have you listened to the man speak over the past twenty years?

I'll be diplomatic and say that he's not as intelligent as a lawmaker should be expected to be.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            The difference between Dog and Tam is that Dog knew what he was saying. Don't give Tam that kind of benefit of the doubt. I don't know whether Tam is a racist or not, but I do believe he had no idea what he was saying. You know why I think this? Have you listened to the man speak over the past twenty years?

I'll be diplomatic and say that he's not as intelligent as a lawmaker should be expected to be.

daaaaaaaaaaayyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!

i visited my cousin in stockton, ca (not the poshest cali town, i know) during the same year tutusue went back to cali (1992). my cousin used the term "wetback" several times. i truly had never heard the term before.

trust me, she meant it derogatorily, and it was clear to me that it was an ethnic slur. of course, she later defended her use of the descriptor "ignant niggah" when referring to a black woman, obviously impoverished, with three children dressed in what were practically rags, in a beat up compact car at the gas station.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Considering the over dramatic response Councilmember Tam's comments elicited, it might not have been the best choice of words to use to describe illegal workers or "undocumented workers" to be more PC but I don't believe that Rod Tam is a racist.People need to look at the context in which the term was used. He has a valid concern over the use of undocumented workers working on development projects throughout the state, and expressed this concern during discussion on a bill that would rezone land to build the UH West Oahu Campus.

I don't think Rod Tam really considered said word to be a racial slur. He was looking for a way to describe illegal workers and just happened to use a term that some may find offensive. The majority of people born and raised in Hawai'i wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over such a word, especially if it came out of Rod Tam's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                Considering the over dramatic response Councilmember Tam's comments elicited, it might not have been the best choice of words to use to describe illegal workers or "undocumented workers" to be more PC but I don't believe that Rod Tam is a racist.People need to look at the context in which the term was used. He has a valid concern over the use of undocumented workers working on development projects throughout the state, and expressed this concern during discussion on a bill that would rezone land to build the UH West Oahu Campus.

I don't think Rod Tam really considered said word to be a racial slur. He was looking for a way to describe illegal workers and just happened to use a term that some may find offensive. The majority of people born and raised in Hawai'i wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over such a word, especially if it came out of Rod Tam's mouth.
                i don't agree. if we were to substitute "FOB" for "wetback," i'm pretty sure he'd have gotten the same kind of scathing castigation.

such terms just do not have a place in formal legislative discourse. what one says in private conversation is completely different, however.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I'm with scriv. This is Rod Tam. He struggles as it is with his vocabulary. Whatever comes out of his mouth hasn't got much of a filter to contend with, and I definitely ascribe the utterance to simple ignorance, not simmering racism.

Honestly, local "compliance" with PC is generally and noticeably out of step with the American mainstream. I grew up thinking "oriental" was a perfectly serviceable descriptor for Asian people. I still hear it today, now and then, even though it'd prompt gasps in most Mainland cities. True, I know enough about the term "wetback" to know it isn't a nice thing to say, but... again, this is Rod Tam we're talking about.

Anyway. He misspoke, he apologized, he was admonished by his colleagues. Not everything calls for a political burning at the stake. If his constituents are that horrified, they can just vote the guy out.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                    i don't agree. if we were to substitute "FOB" for "wetback," i'm pretty sure he'd have gotten the same kind of scathing castigation.

such terms just do not have a place in formal legislative discourse. what one says in private conversation is completely different, however.
                    I would have been more comfortable if he had said FOB rather than wetback, for the former is part of the local vernacular while the latter is a borrowed concept, learned from outside sources. Like Tam, I am not from North America either, but even I know that wetback is a direct insult towards Mexicans swimming the Rio Grande to get across the US border. Even Mencia, the most visible Mexican comic who runs his game on everybody doesn't use the term wetback.

At least with FOB, anybody who isn't from hereâ„¢ is game for the term, though it isn't about illegals or ethnics but rather noobs.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      If his constituents are that horrified, they can just vote the guy out.
                      More than likely, not vote him into another public office. His city council term expires in 2010 and he is on the 2nd term. The city council has a 2-term limit.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It wasn't too long ago when we had a governor (Ben Cayetano) who said "papolo," and a Kauai mayor (Maryanne Kusaka) who used the expression "Jewing down." Neither of them were forced to step down from office, and I don't believe either of them were even censured or disciplined in any way.

Tam apologized and as far as we know, this was the first time he had used a racial slur in a public forum. I say, give the guy a freakin' break!
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

hi this is sansei and when my deceased father lived,this is the time Rod Tam lived in our area,my deceased father asked us to help him to be re-elected and when we waived sign's for him,he was always nice to us and he still know's us today and he once came over to our home to say hello and that he was the one who at that time was invited to our korean christian church and he let them know when the korean's used big buses that they arent able to do so and so now the visitor's have to come up in type's of handi van's and he did a good thing since our street is very small so i thought to share this experience with everyone on still knowing Rod Tam. he's very humble and im sure he said this once and apologized humbly and that he shouldnt be removed from his post.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            I'm with scriv. This is Rod Tam. He struggles as it is with his vocabulary. Whatever comes out of his mouth hasn't got much of a filter to contend with, and I definitely ascribe the utterance to simple ignorance, not simmering racism.

Honestly, local "compliance" with PC is generally and noticeably out of step with the American mainstream. I grew up thinking "oriental" was a perfectly serviceable descriptor for Asian people. I still hear it today, now and then, even though it'd prompt gasps in most Mainland cities. True, I know enough about the term "wetback" to know it isn't a nice thing to say, but... again, this is Rod Tam we're talking about.

Anyway. He misspoke, he apologized, he was admonished by his colleagues. Not everything calls for a political burning at the stake. If his constituents are that horrified, they can just vote the guy out.
                            co-sign all of the above to the fullest. I'm with Cyn on this one...never have I heard the term wetback said outside of private conversations--even when in CA. And stories I've heard about "wetback" coming out in conversation--whether public or private--end with fists meeting faces.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Wetback is a racial slur when using it to refer to Hispanic persons in general, but not when using it to refer to illegal aliens without regard to racial background (not all wetbacks are Hispanic). In that case, it's just a colorful description for a particular sort of lawbreaker, similar to pedophile, rapist, drunk driver, jaywalker or the more general term 'scofflaw'. Having schooled in California, I've heard the word often, mostly in a racial context, but never thought to use it in that manner, since it was a part of our history/social studies lessons that Europeans, Asians and Africans were included in that grouping.
                              Last edited by salmoned; June 5, 2008, 09:22 AM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X