Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion
Default Wall-E

I'm planning on seeing this today.... looks like another Pixar masterpeice.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Wall-E

All I could think of when I saw the trailers was "number 5 is alive"

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ali`i

Tomorrow is Kid2's 7th birthday, so we're planning on including this as part of the festivities. I can't wait!
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Kumu

I saw it at the Thursday night midnight showing. It was totally worth saying up till 2am to see. (Especially if you want to avoid a theater full of children.)

I keep wondering when Pixar is going to make a flop -- or even just an average movie. It still hasn't happened. Wall*E is brilliant.
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Kanaka

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely want to take the kids to this one!

ALoha
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Ali`i

Cool. We'll have to take the kids to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
I keep wondering when Pixar is going to make a flop -- or even just an average movie.
It wasn't a flop, but I wasn't terribly impressed with Ratatouille. For me it just didn't have that typical Pixar magic. One thing I noticed is Ratatouille is their most "human" movie. Everything else has been kinda cartoonish and more fantastic. I think that allows for more creative freedom.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Thumbs up Re: Wall-E

Wall-E was fantastic. Visually stunning. A great story, in the vein of genuine cautionary-tale science fiction. Incredible "film" accomplishments - from paying loving tribute to the classics (from Buster Keaton to 2001), to conveying genuine heart via an inanimate object, to telling a sweeping story with a minimal of dialogue. Basically creating magic with machines and proving without a doubt that computer animation is both an art and a fantastic storytelling medium.

Yeah, it's that good.

And I'm not just saying that because of the handful of Apple Macintosh easter eggs scattered throughout. Really.

See it. A must-see for kids, but you know what? It's definitely worth seeing for adults, too. If you love movies, and particular sci-fi, "Wall-E" is going to seriously impress you.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
I saw it at the Thursday night midnight showing. It was totally worth saying up till 2am to see. (Especially if you want to avoid a theater full of children.)

I keep wondering when Pixar is going to make a flop -- or even just an average movie. It still hasn't happened. Wall*E is brilliant.
Part of me understands what you mean about the kids, but you really have to behold a child in wonder, and I'm sure that opportunity arises during a showing of Wall-E.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Ali`i

Saw this movie today at the Ward Theater with Albert.

As a work of sci-fi with robots, ray guns, spaceships with a bit of comedy here and there it's an enjoyable movie to watch, but afterwards one has to think hey how come?
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

Another intelligent, funny, heart felt Pixar film...

This movie was so enjoyable, and i found myself laughing a lot more than i can remember compared to other great Pixar movies.

They really make you connect with Wall-E and the details and storyline are great.

For a movie with hardly any dialogue it really keeps you enthralled.

A+

and the short film at the beginning before the movie was HILARIOUS

for some extra Wall-E fun (i can get enough). Check out the "Vignette" videos on Apple's site:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/walle/index.html

Last edited by LocalMotion; June 29th, 2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Ali`i

The Boy and I took the 3 year old to see it yesterday and we all loved it.

I thought it was more adult friendly than other Disney/Pixar films. Our 3 year old absolutely loved it because all he knows are robots are flying and cockroaches are crawling. There were a few older kids (around 7, 8 years old) sitting behind us and they didn't get much of what was said. Many of them left with "HUH?" looks on their faces.

I liked the themes presented in the movie, and I'm really glad Disney/Pixar decided to go there.
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ali`i

Delightful! The kids were spellbound! No potty breaks! I especially loved the references to other movies, like 2001 A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters, StarTrek (and I'm not a sci-fi fan!). I even heard music from Finding Nemo intertwined!
It was a very touching movie. I hope we don't let our planet get as bad as it did in the movie.
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ali`i

I missed the Star Trek reference, where was that in the movie?
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Kumu

If you liked the idea behind the story in Wall*E, check out the movie "Idiocracy". Unlike Wall*E, it's rated-R and definitely NOT for children. Created by Mike Judge (Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, King of the Hill), it's full of crude frat humor, but its paints a dystopia future very similar to the one in Wall*E.

It's a future where, after generations of idiots outbreeding intellectuals, everyone in society is a complete moron. It's a world where the #1 show on TV is "Ow, My Balls", being "tarded" is an official medical diagnosis, and the president wears a gigantic prize belt. Two average-intelligence people from the present are accidentally sent to this future and are easily the smartest people in the world. I guess the movie didn't enjoy much commercial success, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited by zff; June 30th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
I missed the Star Trek reference, where was that in the movie?
The space ship itself, floating in space? That worked for me. Star Wars, too? You can call me on it, I guess, but these are things that reminded me of those movies.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Ali`i

Saw it last night. Some parts of it were so visually fast paced that I could not keep up. I will rent it, just so I can pause, rewind, and rewatch all the little details. All in all, it was good, but I'm not gushing like some others on this board. Thought Shrek and Enchanted were better.

Loved the roaming gnome, and all the zippos. When Wall-E turned on, was that the sound a Mac makes when you turn it on? Dude next to me chuckled a little when he heard that.

The fat joke was a little overdone. I liked the Tyson robot. That cleaning robot reminds me of my wife chasing after me and the daughter-unit. Btw, daughter-unit was howling, and loved every minute of it.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ali`i

While the animation was top notch, IMO this was Pixar's weakest movie since A Bug's Life. The story was too "cute" for me and the lack of dialogue got to me. I did like the fact that it show me that technology has made people fat. Great for the kids,but a bit too "baby" for this adult.

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
While the animation was top notch, IMO this was Pixar's weakest movie since A Bug's Life. The story was too "cute" for me and the lack of dialogue got to me. I did like the fact that it show me that technology has made people fat. Great for the kids,but a bit too "baby" for this adult.
Bear:
I'm really not debating you here, but, I think the charm of this movie was the minimalist dialogue. Like those books about Carl the Rottweiler. No text, just art, and a different message for all. If it get to the point where I have to suck my burger and fries through a straw, shoot me.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: Wall-E

Quote:
Great for the kids,but a bit too "baby" for this adult.
Wow. Interesting. I have the exact opposite sentiment. I've got friends who admitted that they liked the movie (as adults) more than their own kids did. And I think that "Wall-E" is second only to "Ratatouille" in terms of being Pixar's most mature, somewhat dark films to date -- making me wonder if they'll eventually move into more adult fare a la Japanese anime. That, I think, would be intriguing.

There's a part of "Wall-E" that's a bit preachy, but again that goes to the film's sci-fi roots (the classic "cautionary tale") and clear tributes to the classics. The lack of dialogue? The physical humor? Invokes for me Charlie Chaplin and other comedic geniuses. The movie evoked for me more emotion than movies starring actual humans, and they did it with a clunky toaster and an iPod with eyes. All a testament to how much Pixar pulled off.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
The story was too "cute" for me and the lack of dialogue got to me. ... Great for the kids,but a bit too "baby" for this adult.
I dunno, I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was very sophisticated (and quite daring for Pixar) and, because of that, adults would enjoy this more than kids. The fact that it had very little dialog (it relied heavily on visual narration) was one aspect of its sophistication. It reminded me of "The Triplets of Belleville" in that it had almost no dialog and was fascinating because of that (it won several Academy Awards in 2003, and definitely was not for kids).

By the way, if you haven't guessed already, I LOVED the movie.

Last edited by Honoruru; July 4th, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Ali`i

I liked the movie, it was sort of fun but there were things that makes you wonder, for instance:
  1. Wall-E's roach friend, was he the only one left on the planet?
  2. EVE being a probe looking for plant life was sure trigger happy, shooting at things that moved.
  3. The ship that carried EVE and others like her, only deployed one EVE bot and not a few of them to go searching on the planet.
  4. Did the Axiom looked at worlds other than Earth to live on?
  5. Wasn't there other ships that left Earth beside the Axiom. What happen to them?
  6. Why didn't EVE react to roach, wouldn't that be an indication that life on Earth was back in business?
  7. Things in that movie that lasted a long time. Things that still work after 700 years, bra, battery charge on car and the key ring to activate the alarm, VHS tapes that don't degrade, twinkes (or their version of it), but yet all but one of the WALL-E robots failed to work.
  8. What's the deal with the wind storm that popped in a couple of times during the movie?
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ali`i

A sweet movie, almost as good as "Kung Fu Panda".
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Ali`i

I'm thinking a celebrity droid deathmatch ... WALL-E vs. R2-D2.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Ali`i

yeah,,,, what about the windstorm?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Ali`i

The storm seemed to be something that Wall-E feared, was it the storm that damaged the other Wall-E robots?