The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

Was looking through the Apple Movie Trailer site when I saw an entry for the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Opens on December 12, 2008 (about 5 months from now). Stars Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly.

Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

I saw the original in 1951 at a theater in Lincoln, Nebraska ... on a family trip from Hawaii when the company my father was working for gave employees from "the states" (we were a territory then) extra-long vacation time if they travelled "overseas."

It was a Saturday afternoon...hot as Nebraska can be in the fall...and the best part (aside from the movie) was getting a free robot mask as we streamed out of the theater into the daylight.

The original is a classic ... hope the re-make does it justice (they rarely do...)

That movie, Bobby Thompson's home run, and the most bodacious midwest thunder/lightning storm I have ever experienced made it a great trip.

Comment

"Calling Occupants of the Interplanetary.."

Comment

While a preview of this movie was show before Quantum of Solace, there was a short preview shown on Cartoon Network tonight that makes the hint that this version is quite different.

Comment

"Klatu marada niktu" (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            "Klatu marada niktu" (sp?)
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Spoiler for just in case since the movie opens less than two weeks from now

And be advised about spoilers and quotes, you might want to review this thread first.

During the preview on TV there is a scene with Kathy Bates (KB) and Keanu Reeves (KR) that goes something like this:

KB: Why have you come to our planet?
                KR: Your planet

Just that line kind of makes this movie different in tone from the original.

Comment

Albert and I saw this movie today at the Ward Theater.

From watching the previews on TV I had the sense that this movie was an alien invasion story and while at first it was (at least to some of the characters in the movie) it turns out it wasn't.

I don't think one needs to watch the original to see this one.

Comment

for me, it was definitely just okay; more like a video rental....
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

The first half was way better than the second half.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                      X