Mass murder at Sikh temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass murder at Sikh temple

Well this is becoming an almost weekly event! What is it a new national sport?

It is way past time for Federal gun control legislation. These GUN NUTS with their love of guns have got to be stopped. Who in their right mind needs TWO guns for home protection (in case one jams) and then a third just for the sport of it? What if you have five guns and you use the excuse that five could all jam at the same time? Does that justify having six guns in your house? GUN NUTS!

Who needs one hundred rounds of ammunition for home security? In case their are one hundred people trying to break into your house at the same time? Paranoid GUN NUTS!

I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than someone trying to break into my house while I am home with intent to harm me. But this scenario seems to happen regularly to GUN NUTS!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Yes, I am shouting, so ban me. There are too many people here on HT who are idly sitting by and not speaking out against this outrageous horror. Yes, the US is the most violent nation in the industrialized world. It is more violent than Mexico where I live that gets all the negative publicity about the drug war murders. What is it going to take for you kamaina to speak out, a mass murder in Hawai'i by some GUN NUT using his "constitutional Second Amendment" right? I am disgusted with NRA members giving your lame excuses. BULL SHEET!

I demand the President and the Congress immediately enact legislation to severely restrict and control gun ownership. I am thoroughly disgusted that these mass murders are allowed to continue.
    Last edited by admin; August 5, 2012, 01:28 PM. Reason: Adding link to referenced event.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Mass murder at Sikh temple

I saw in the news today where the NRA entered a Tennessee election to defeat a woman who had been considered pro gun, for not being pro gun enough. She opposed an NRA bill to allow workers to bring their guns to work. Oh joy. What could possibly go wrong with that. They won, she lost, she was replaced by a more malleable candidate. Oh, the good part, their billboards showed a pic of her (the only by comparison saner candidate) with one of President Obama with the logo, "she says she is pro gun, but so does he". The country is getting crazier and crazier. Taking more of the poison that made it sick in the first place. Now if only those Sikhs had had machine guns in their temple this wouldn't have happened. Thus, armed guards at all of our houses of worship. Jesus would be...what? Proud? Cheerful? Oh, I know, disappointed! Outraged! Disgusted! Maybe even furious.

Comment

It's not going to be stopped, no matter what. You can ban, enforce, restrict, educate, execute, arm, all you want, some people are simply going to do these hideous acts because they know they can. The only deterrent is everybody arming themselves to lessen the propensity and severity.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; August 5, 2012, 05:06 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. People with guns, just have a better tool.

To eliminate/restrict people from owning guns is NOT going to happen.

I have a SHIT TON of knives, I mean I am a Chef, does that mean I am going to get all stabby, and go on a slashing spree? No.

Where is it saying that the shooter had a well armed arsenal?

While I am not justifying the acts committed, Owning more than A gun is not against the law, and ultimately it is up to the owner how they use it. As the Colorado shooter shows, you can be one smart cookie, and still have a crazy streak a mile wide.

A weekly event? Really? Yet you say you are living in Mexico where cartel based murder is among the highest of anywhere, and THAT is a daily occurrence, and you are going to say its a daily even here? I know you are speaking out of your passion, but be realistic. You are taking the actions of a FEW, and judging the WHOLE. These people are not the rule, they are the exception. Google "MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD", and think about you stance on the US being the most violent place "in the civilized world". .. what, the countries, and cities that are NOT in the US are NOT civilized? Do they not have infrastructure, local/public transpo, government, money, industry, etc?

People can own multiple firearms because there is no "one size fits all", just like with TONS of other things. What about hunters, who hunt deer, fowl, game? What about professional shooters who specialize in different disciplines? Not everyone that owns a few guns are bad people, or destined to commit crimes, c'mon.

I have more than one guitar. what is strings break, or I have one tuned in a different key, or I like the tone of one over the other. .. I could beat someone with any of them, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to have more than one guitar?

Read up on Switzerland, and it's gun laws. An armed society, is a polite society, lol
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          Guns don't kill people, people kill people. People with guns, just have a better tool.
          Tired NRA rhetoric.

To eliminate/restrict people from owning guns is NOT going to happen.
          Sure it can if the population demands it.

I have a SHIT TON of knives, I mean I am a Chef, does that mean I am going to get all stabby, and go on a slashing spree? No.
          But the disgruntled employee who has access to those knives can.

Where is it saying that the shooter had a well armed arsenal?
          It only takes one gun.

While I am not justifying the acts committed, Owning more than A gun is not against the law, and ultimately it is up to the owner how they use it.
          Jim Brady was opposed to gun control until it happened to him. Tat is opposed to gun control until something happens to him.

I guess the mantra is: that as long as gun violence doesn't happen to ME, I could care less about gun control.

A weekly event? Really?
          It is trending that way.

Yet you say you are living in Mexico where cartel based murder is among the highest of anywhere, and THAT is a daily occurrence,
          It is not a daily or even weekly occurrence here in Mexico and the trend is down. The violence within the drug cartels does not touch the lives of 99.9% of Mexicans (except for loss of tourism). It is an embarrassment to them and there is frequent and constant calls for election of officials who will do something about it like throwing the drug tourism Americans who come down here into a Mexican jail permanently.

and you are going to say its a daily even here?
          Yes I am when you include the gun violence within families on a daily basis.

Not everyone that owns a few guns are bad people, or destined to commit crimes, c'mon.
          I didn't say that, I called them GUN NUTS which they are.

I have more than one guitar. what is strings break, or I have one tuned in a different key, or I like the tone of one over the other. .. I could beat someone with any of them, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to have more than one guitar?
          No, not anymore than it says you should have only one pair of underware. Comparing guitars to guns is the ULTIMATE example of comparing apples to oranges.

Read up on Switzerland, and it's gun laws. An armed society, is a polite society, lol
          I personally find that Mexico, where personal firearms are banned, is a much more polite society than Switzerland. In Mexico, we can tell who the bad guys are, - the drug cartel members.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

2009, guns took the lives of 31,347 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings. This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.

66,769 Americans were treated in hospital emergency departments for non-fatal gunshot wounds in 2009.

Firearms were the third-leading cause of injury-related deaths nationwide in 2009, following poisoning and motor vehicle accidents.

Between 1955 and 1975, the Vietnam War killed over 58,000 American soldiers – less than the number of civilians killed with guns in the U.S. in an average two-year period.

In the first seven years of the U.S.-Iraq War, over 4,400 American soldiers were killed. Almost as many civilians are killed with guns in the U.S., however, every seven weeks.

Guns were used in 11,493 homicides in the U.S. in 2009, comprising over 36% of all gun deaths, and over 68% of all homicides.

On average, 33 gun homicides were committed each day for the years 2004-2009.

Regions and states with higher rates of gun ownership have significantly higher rates of homicide than states with lower rates of gun ownership.

Where guns are prevalent, there are significantly more homicides, particularly gun homicides.

Comment

Tobacco kills over 400,000 a year but we all understand that making it illegal would only produce yet another war on drugs and even more crime and violence and shootings. The time to have headed off tobacco was 300 or 400 years ago. It is too late now. The time to head off the assault weapons problem was about 50 years ago. It is too late now. Like 400,000 tobacco deaths a year the mass shootings, the domestic gun violence, the accidental shootings are all things we will just have to life with. Collectively we made a decision and we will live with the results.

In an ideal world there would be no tobacco, nobody would drink to excess, and there wouldn't be any assault weapons. Often the gun people say that having an armed population is the only thing that has kept the gvt. from crushing the population under tyranny. I wonder if that is really true. Maybe. I have sure seen enough violence from the gvt. Were the deaths at Waco or Ruby Ridge justified? The gvt. thinks so. Maybe they were. Did the FBI do right by trapping Fred Hampton? Maybe. Was it right to ferret out the Black Panthers, armed though they were? I don't know. I suspect that the right to own assault weapons in most white peoples minds comes down to who owns what. A white church, fine. A Muslim mosque, probably not. White militia separatists, fine, Black separatists, probably not.

I can't tell you how often on the news I have seen the incredibly sad and ironic story of a parent who has had a gun for safety in the house and is either accidentally shot dead him or herself by a young child, or who comes home to find the child blown away, or that their child has blown away a playmate. Too late the little light goes on. Oops. Like when the doctor shows one of those 400,000 patients a year the lung x-ray. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                The time to head off the assault weapons problem was about 50 years ago. It is too late now.
                You are either for gun control or you are not. It is that simple. I favor strict gun control.

Comment

I'm all in favor of strict gun control - you control your gun(s), I'll control mine.

That's how it works.

Ban guns? May as well try to ban alcohol or cannabis - tried, failed.

The notion is faulty.

Kalalau, your 'ideal world' exists. It can be enjoyed in a coffin, six feet under ground - I'll pass.
                  Last edited by salmoned; August 6, 2012, 10:31 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                    I can't tell you how often on the news I have seen the incredibly sad and ironic story of a parent who has had a gun for safety in the house and is either accidentally shot dead him or herself by a young child, or who comes home to find the child blown away, or that their child has blown away a playmate.
                    Unsafe Gun Safes Can Be Opened By A Three-Year Old

Comment

Well, apparently it was a Neo-Nazi.
                      flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        You are either for gun control or you are not. It is that simple. I favor strict gun control.
                        Sounds like you favor NO guns, at all.
                        flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          Sounds like you favor NO guns, at all.
                          Let me repeat, I favor strict gun control. I think that is difficult to misinterpret.

Comment

But it can never be strict enuf to return us to the safety of the pre '70s without infringing on gun rights. I'd rather have the freedom to arm myself to the teeth than be restricted into purpetual vulnurability of those who will always have them to use against us, or even come at someone with a knife. We now live in a suckier society, and the mainland really sux.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              But it can never be strict enuf to return us to the safety of the pre '70s without infringing on gun rights. I'd rather have the freedom to arm myself to the teeth than be restricted into purpetual vulnurability of those who will always have them to use against us, or even come at someone with a knife. We now live in a suckier society, and the mainland really sux.
                              When (not if) it happens in the 808, attitudes will change there.

Comment

Working...
                              X